Monday, October 17, 2011

Dupe Alert: Stila Lip Glaze in 'Guava'

When I got my Stila E! Live from the Red Carpet palette + Lip Glaze set back in July, I immediately knew that lip gloss shade looked familiar...


Mind you, there's a number of brands making those lip glosses with a built-in brush applicator, with Stila, Clinique and e.l.f. to name just a few, but how similar does the e.l.f. packaging look compared to the Stila?!


Do you want to know the craziest part though? I prefer that e.l.f. Hypershine Gloss to the Stila Lip Glaze - and this baby is at least 15 times cheaper (Stila Lip Glaze is $22 for 0.08 fl oz, but the one that came in the kit is 0.05 fl oz, whereas e.l.f. Hypershine Glosses retail for $1. For volume comparison, a Revlon Super Lustrous lip gloss is 0.2 fl oz, so 2.5 times bigger than those guys). The Stila Lip Glaze feels extremely thick and tacky on my lips - it even drags upon application. It also has a tendency to acccentuate any flakies, which the e.l.f. does not.


As you can see, 'Guava' is slightly darker and more muted than 'Flirt', but on the lips, they look exactly the same (see a lip swatch of 'Flirt' here). I see absolutely no reason to shell out my monies for Stila Lip Glazes and I won't be buying any in the future. Have you tried these?

6 comments:

  1. Wow ... thanks the swap! Next time I drop by Target, I'll def. pick up the ELF lipgloss :)

    Btw, love your blog & now following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried either, but they look like pretty colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Donna: Hi lovely, thanks so much for following!

    @Dovey: Excellent for everyday, but also not very unique - oh well, not every day is a red lip kind of day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! The similarities are crazy. :0 Thanks for saving me money!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo great find on the dupe! Much more affordable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i havent tried the elf ones but i have a mini set of stila lip glazes. while i love the shades i have...i HATE the formula. it is so sticky and thick! im glad i got only a mini set and it was from a discount website. i definitely wont be repurchasing the full size version. good to know there are color dupes out there!

    ReplyDelete