Sunday, February 17, 2013

My Face Mask Wardrobe

If you've been reading my skincare updates for a while, you know that I'm a devoted follower of the Hirons' school, and whatever Caroline preaches, I try to bastardize adhere to. A big part of Caroline's skincare wisdom is developing a good, working skincare wardrobe consisting of staple products to suit the changing needs of our skin. As much as I aspire to women whose beauty regime consists of a face wash and a moisturizer, unfortunately, I just can't be counted among them as I do need a (much) wider selection of products to satisfy my fickle skin.
Towards the end of last year, I'd decided to work on my perfect face mask wardrobe I could call on in the times of need, that is, when my skin is congested, dehydrated or dull, or oftentimes all of the above all at once. Here are three products I've found which tick all of the boxes:
Eau Thermale Avène Soothing Moisture Mask for Sensitive Skin - this light cream mask, elegantly scented with white florals, is a perfect pampering treat after a long work day. It contains 70% of Avène thermal spring water to soothe as well as safflower seed oil for a more intense moisturizing action. Oponents of both mineral oil and parabens in skincare would be appalled but Avène's mask really reduced redness, alleviates surface dehydration, softens and plumps up my tired, sensitized skin - plus, it's a joy to use. In the US, Avène skincare is readily available at drugstore.com.
Dermalogica Gentle Cream Exfoliant - I've already extolled its virtues in my January Favorites post but let me repeat myself annoyingly for the sake of having all the useful information in one place. This smoothing face mask contains 4 different exfoliants: 2 fruit acids and both salicylic and lactic acids, plus a base of diatomaceous earth that gives it the typical clay mask appearance and feel on the skin. I'm not sure if it's the combination of different exfoliants or simply the formula but Dermalogica's Gentle Cream Exfoliant works like no other on my face: it brightens, tightens the pores, smoothes out little bumps all without irritating my skin. Go get a sample now if you haven't already!
Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask to Clear Pores - how genius of Origins to offer some of their masks in the 50ml travel size?! Clear Improvement is definitely your go-to if you have some noisy children or nosy neighbors around who need to be scared to death, as it features a rather thick consistency that dries to an attractive charcoal (duh!) grey color on your face. Other than being a perfect choice for Halloween, it absorbs oils, shrinks spots and brightens the skin without feeling awfully dry and stripping; it's also much more comfortable to use and keep on your face than something like the Aztec Healing Clay. While I do think it's quite effective, it's probably my least favorite out of the bunch, and I'm still on the hunt for my HG clay mask.

Do you also keep a wardrobe of different face masks? What are your favorites?

9 comments:

  1. I just love love love face masks!! I think my mask wardrobe is lookingpretty good...the only thing I feel I'm missing is a sheet mask. I have yet to try one but I've heard they're great--really refreshing and hydrating, so it'd be good to have some around for when my skin is irritated or dehydrated or I've over-exfoliated. Have you tried any good ones, Monika?

    I have heard good things about the Origins one but it definitely does sound quite potent. I can imagine loving something like that as an overnight spot treatment. I used to love really strong, drying clay masks when I was younger but lately, I prefer more gentle, non-drying ones. Pure+Simple's French Green Clay Mask is a favorite--it's soo so nice. I also love Pangea Organics' Japanese Matcha Tea Goji Berry & Acai Mask. It's non-drying and is chock-full of amazing antioxidants. That one is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever tried Queen Helene mint julep? It's pretty cheap and minty (when my skin was over sensitive a few years back, it stung a little)and it gets the job done. I must have ran through 7-8 tubes during the past 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dermalogica Gentle Cream Exfoliant looks nice! Clay mask with an exfoliating mask, as you mentioned in fave post, is an essential for every season. Thanks for recommending this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Dermalogica mask really intrigues me - my skin does well with chemical exfoliants - this might be a winner for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually can't use salicylic acid but the Dermolgoica mask sounds so lovely and effective, I just may have to try it. Who knows, maybe it's just the way some of the salicylic products are formulated or the pH that has never agreed with my skin, so maybe this one will be ok!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite masks are both by Origins: Out of Trouble and Mega-Mushroom Skin Relief Face Mask. Out of Trouble is great all over when my skin is extra oily, but I mostly use it as spot treatment. It gets flakey, but that doesn't stop me from sleeping with a thin layer on over problem areas. I tend to get redness and dry, flakey patches from some products and the Mega Mushroom mask really helps me get it under control quickly, especially when coupled with the Mega-Mushroom face cream.

    I'm tempted to try the Dermologica mask and may get a sample. I worry that it will make my sensitive skin need the Mega-Mushroom mask.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stopped buying face masks a long time ago because none really worked for me as much as plain honey - sooooo moisturizing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit I'm not a huuuuge mask person, but I am at the age where I probably need to start investing in some "deep" care. My mom raves about the Boscia Luminizing Black Mask, so I feel like that will be my next significant skincare purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay I love a post about face mask! My face mask is currently from Palmer's; it's affordable and helps to brighten my face instantly. I am very interested in Avene mask you mentioned above, especially when it helps to reduce redness. I also use few Avene products which I love. It's time to try a new face mask then :)

    Meryl @ Memoiselle

    ReplyDelete