Friday, June 28, 2013

Rocaille Reviews: Dermalogica Ultracalming Cleanser and Mist

Let's break up all that make up talk with some skincare, shall we? You might remember me mentioning that I went in for a facial a couple weeks back and on the recommendation of my esthetician, purchased two new skincare items: Dermalogica Ultracalming Cleanser ($35 for 8.4 fl oz/ 250 ml) and Ultracalming Mist ($34 for 6 fl oz/ 177 ml). The professional verdict was that my combination skin was imbalanced and sensitized, and as the Ultracalming range is supposed to help soothe sensitive skin, reduce redness and prevent irritation, it seemed perfectly suited for my needs. So, I hear you ask, how am I getting on with the new additions to my skincare?
The Ultracalming Cleanser is a 'gentle cleansing gel/cream for reactive skin. Helps calm and cool the redness and heat associated with reactive, sensitized or overprocessed skin, and easily rinses away or wipes off, making it ideal for sensitized skin' (from Dermalogica's website). The consistency description is spot on: it's a thick slightly translucent white creamy gel that spreads easily on the skin. It has no discernible fragrance, which I apperciate. I apply this on dry skin or slightly damp skin after my first cleanse (with Dermalogica's Precleanse, reviewed here) and lightly massage over the entire face, including eyes. An important factor to mention: this does not foam at all, neither does it emulsify in any way. I remove the cleanser either by rinsing with tepid water or by lightly wiping off with a damp cloth.
All in all, I am reasonably satisfied with the performance of this cleanser. It has an instant cooling effect on the skin, does a good job of removing any traces left over after the first cleanse, doesn't cause my skin to turn beetroot red or feel too tight; it doesn't dry out my skin in the slightest. My favorite routine is using this cleanser in the mornings when I don't need any heavy duty cleansing action, just simple refreshment. I would recommend to check it out if your skin is on the sensitive side.
The Ultracalming Mist is 'a soothing, hydrating mist to calm redness and sensitivity. Used post-cleanse, this lightweight mist helps create a shield against environmental assaults, and synergistically relieves and restores skin while fighting future flare-ups'. The mist is a clear, nearly scentless toner to be misted on after cleansing, and the spray bottle really works to produce a fine, light cloud of the product. There's not much more I can say by the way of description, and unfortunately there's not much more I can say by the way of results either. The Ultracalming Mist does absolutely nothing for my skin; well, it feels quite cool when sprayed on, but so does my MUCH cheaper Avene Thermal Spring Water. In terms of reducing redness or soothing when my face feels on fire... it just doesn't work. The product turned out to be a rather expensive mistake for me personally.
The bottom line is that I enjoy using the Ultracalming Cleanser but wouldn't recommend the Mist; however, once I run out, I don't think I'll be repurchasing the cleanser either. I believe that a gentle, non-foaming cleanser from a drugstore could be a good replacement of that product as part of my morning routine. Have you ever tried any products from Dermalogica's Ultracalming range? What are your favorites for sensitive skin?

3 comments:

  1. I love the ultra calming mist :) I was using that all summer last year and it was a wondeful addition to my skincare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just shows how products work differently on different people! :)

      Delete
  2. Every once in a while, I get the urge to try Dermalogica and never do, so this was very timely as I'm mad about skincare at the moment. But you brought me back down to earth again with the conclusion about finding cheaper alternatives, so I don't feel like I'm missing out very much after all. :)

    ReplyDelete