Friday, August 2, 2013

A Month in Nail Polish: July

I'm always very hesitant about writing 'Nails Of The Day' posts on here; I don't know exactly why but it just seems too little content to devote an entire post to - and well, my skillz are nothing to write home about either. However, since I've been trying to be a bit more creative with my nails lately, I thought it'd still be fun to share here and there, so I decided to just cull all my nail polish picks from a given month into one post for your viewing pleasure :)
I started the month with my first nail art experiment: a pastel ombre. I painted on a base of OPI Alpine Snow and then on top bounced a make-up sponge with three stripes of color - OPI Alpine Snow for the top, Essie Absolutely Shore (pictured) in the middle and Orly Gumdrop for the tips. I really loved the mint gradient effect and plan on doing more gradients in the future!
For my second pick, I tried to do a glitter ombre, although I think the glitter I chose was slightly too sparse and chunky to really perfect the look. As a pink base, I painted on two coats of discontinued CQ Purple Passion and then layered some a lot of OPI Polka.com (pictured) with a sponge at the base of my nails. Overall, this wasn't my favorite look; I'd probably try the same glitter next time with a darker navy base and maybe only as an accent.
My last choice went to the fairly new OPI Liquid Sand polish from the Bond Girls collection - a sparkling sky blue Tiffany Case. I'm still a bit on the fence as far as the whole textured/ liquid sand/ sugar coated thing goes but I do like me some shimmery blue, and Tiffany Case with its mix of smaller blue/teal particles and bigger silver glitter looks amazing in the sunlight.

Now, you might ask why only three nail looks in July; truth is, I was too busy (or lazy) to remove that second glitter look and actually wore it for full two weeks. Yes, it looked pretty awful, but definitely better than what you would normally expect from a two week wear - it actually started chipping at the tips more so because my nails were splitting underneath rather than from actual wear and tear.

What nail polishes have you been wearing lately? Have you ventured into nail art this month?

6 comments:

  1. I'm trying to give my nails a break right now, but the bare ugly beds are making me cringe. Not sure how much longer I can hold out. T_T

    I love that pastel gradient! I don't have ANY skills, so I never attempt anything like that, but they're so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I absolutely love that pastel gradient! I have no idea how to do it and I'm a klutz so I doubt I can make it look that good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently bought Tiffany Case. Such a lovely colour and I think it will be a wonderful choice when Spring finally rolls around down here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about being reluctant to devote entire posts to nail polish - I used to do it a lot more on my blog, but now I tend to just take a picture and post it to Instagram. I reserve the whole posts dedicated to nail polish either to feature collections, or if I'm especially enamoured of a polish. I love each three of these that you've featured here though! Tiffany Case is a gorgeous Liquid Sand, that Polka.com nail polish caught my eye from day one and the mint ombre is too pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the ombre is stunning and so neat! I have a hard time keeping nail polish chip free for longer than an hour on my horrible nails that I've never attempted nail art :( I like the easier ombre manicure though of painting a different gradient shade on each nail
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the mint ombre nail!! I think I may look into doing ombre nail, it looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete