Friday, November 15, 2013

Just Bounce... Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge Review

Bounce your sponge, just bounce, at the sight of it, now pounce! See, there's a reason I've never become an MC... but this hot new Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge ($5.99), already hailed to be the 'drugstore dupe' of the famous Beauty Blender, inspired me to bust out some rhymes anyway. Just to clarify: I won't answer the question whether it is or not since I don't own the BB, but I'll give you my thoughts anyway and compare to another inexpensive foundation sponge. Sounds good?
The plastic packaging is a bit excessive for a rather small sponge, but at least you get Sam Chapman's gorgeous face on the back - and who doesn't love a bit of Pixiwoo with their product? There are no instructions on the box how to proceed with this, so I assume it is to be wetted (umm... sorry!), wrung out, dabbed into product and then - yes yes - bounced on the face.
 As you can see, the shape of this sponge is a bit different to what I've seen so far on the market; it's an orange egg with one concave surface cut out. I expected this side to be completely flat, but it's more rounded - not sure what the design team intended it for, but I use it to pick up foundation and staple it on the face, and if needed, I go back with the clean rounded surface to blend some more. When dampened, the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge increases its size by more or less 50%, as well as becomes softer and more malleable; when you squeeze it, your fingers will leave some indentations.
 Compared to my other inexpensive foundation sponge, the Ulta Beauty Super Blender Sponge ($4.99), the Real Techniques one seems to made out of slightly smoother, finer sponge. The Ulta's has a rounded bottom part which I used to distribute product, an indentation in the middle for comfortable hold, and a small tip to do detail work - I have to admit this end of the design never worked for me and I couldn't get my concealer to blend with it, while the pointy end of Real Techniques sponge deposits and blends concealer well. When dampened, the Ulta sponge doesn't change its size or shape, and more or less behaves like a regular foundation sponge, while the Real Techniques performs more like the Beauty Blender sponge.
In the face shots, you can see how a medium/full coverage cream foundation (Graftobian Hi-Def Glamour Creme, reviewed here) looks applied with the Real Techniques sponge. I prefer to use make-up sponges when working with thicker, fuller coverage bases, as they tend to be rather difficult to apply otherwise. The sponge worked the product into the skin well, giving good coverage but a more natural, satin finish; the whole process wasn't very quick but I think the flawless, long-wearing result was worth spending a bit more time. I also applied and blended my cream blush (NYC Blushable Creme Stick in Big Apple Blush) with the sponge as well.
Left: Face with Graftobian Hi-Def in Buff + Aurora all over, Rimmel Match Perfection under the eyes, NYC blush on the cheeks and brows filled in. Right: Full face with eye make-up (Fyrinnae eyeshadows), spot concealed with Becca Compact Concealer, YSL Glossy Stain no. 15 on the lips. No setting/finishing powder or highlighter in both photos.

So, is it worth it to spend the extra dollar and get the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge over the Ulta Super Blender? I think you won't be surprised to hear that I believe it is - while the Ulta sponge seems just like any other regular make-up sponge, the Real Techniques has more unique properties and performs better in applying liquid or cream foundation. Do you use make-up sponges to apply your base? Which one is your favorite?

16 comments:

  1. Hey Monika, I have never ever tried any sponges for makeup application, be them the more traditional type or the more hyped-up new one! This does look pretty easy to use though, and the result is immaculate on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard tons of amazing reviews on this sponge and being a BIG fan of the Real Techniques brushes, I have zero doubt in my mind that this has to be as comparable :) Thank you for the very thorough review though - it just makes me want to pick it up right away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love their brushes too :) Thank you for reading, Stephanie!

      Delete
  3. oh my goodness! It literally looks like your skin in airbrushed. WOW! Is it the foundation or the new sponge that is doing that amazingness???

    I have a Beauty Blender. I use it for heavy coverage / cream-based foundations. I agree, it makes the application easier and the finish becomes so beautifully skin like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's both the sponge and the foundation; it's really pretty fabulous for the price tag, as long as you don't have too many dry bits. Do you find using your Beauty Blender pretty quick or is it still quite a bit of effort to get everything worked into the skin?

      Delete
  4. Oh thanks for the review! I have to try this out. I just tried the Beauty Blender again, after a failed first attempt, and I might be the only one but I don't think it's really that good. It's so flimsy (maybe I'm just rough) that I break it :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. COOL. I love my beauty blender, so I will def look for this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your makeup looks flawless! Gorgeous look :) I recently picked up this sponge and I do like it, but I'm a bit unsure in terms of caring for it. I normally wash my face brushes every 2-3 weeks if I'm using them for my foundation every day, but I don't think I can treat the sponge the same. I'm still curious about the Beautyblender though - I wonder if it's superior to this Real Techniques sponge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like it gives your foundation a really nice finish. I've never tried a sponge with my foundation, the bacteria factor just wigs me out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always been curious to try the Beauty Blender but was put off by how expensive it is considering how often it needs to be replaced. I definitely want to give the Real Techniques sponge a try now! Your foundation looks flawless. Love your lip color too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monika, you look GORGEOUS!

    I'm liking the shape of that RT sponge. Never tried Beauty Blender but the price totally puts me off. I'll have to scope this out. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never understood the whole Beauty Blender thing. I've never tried it, because I think the price is absurd, even if I wanted to use a sponge. I've never liked using sponges, though; the damp just seems to mess with the texture of the foundation. I don't feel like I get the full coverage I get with a brush.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I picked up a beautyblender during the VIB sale bc I was tired of all the hype lol. though i could've sworn i tried one when they first came out, but who knows. I forgot all about the real techniques one though. maybe i'll have to try both eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must check this out next time I'm at ULTA. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never bothered to buy the BB sponge, but I want to try the RT version. The only problem is I can never find it in stock in Ulta....Kind of disappoints me every time I go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine online if that's any help - I don't have an Ulta store near me :)

      Delete