Monday, March 17, 2014

A Month In Nail Polish: Early Spring 2014

I haven't shared any nail swatches in a while, right? Well, you might remember that in January, I decided to give my nails a break from constant polishing to see if it would help with breakage and general dryness. What resulted, however, was a little bit different from what I expected - without the extra protective layer of base coat + nail polish + top coat, some of my nails started breaking even worse! You know, kinda like when you get this tiny crack at the side of your nail that's sticking out, and then it catches on something, and before you notice half of your fingernail is GONE. Yeah, that.

So I obviously decided to stop that nonsense and went right back to painting on some pretty pretty early spring shades.
Essie Nail Color in Chinchilly, two coats. A cult classic for a reason. Chinchilly replaced a bottle of Essie Hot Coco in my collection; while Hot Coco was a bit too warm and brown on me, Chinchilly has a perfectly cool purple undertone. I accented my ring nail with a coat of Zoya Jules, a taupe with gold shimmer.
A sparkling snowy manicure for the last days of winter! This is Revlon Colorstay Nail Polish in Calla Lily (three coats), topped with one coat of Zoya Nail Lacquer in Mosheen from their Winter 2013 collection. Mosheen is such a cool shade: a very sheer light blue base with small opalescent glitters and larger light blue bar glitters. On top of the Revlon shade, it brought out some yellow undertones in my nails I wasn't overly fond of, but now I really want to try it again on top of blue or some darker shade nail polish.
And Zoya strikes again! This beautiful medium orchid purple with white gold shimmer is Zoya Nail Lacquer in Hudson (two coats) from the Spring 2014 collection. I actually won this plus one other shade in Zoya's weekly Twitter giveaway, Tune Tuesday (you can learn more about it here). I definitely recommend checking their giveaway out - it's a lot of fun, and who can say no to some new Zoya polishes?
Lastly, a quintessential warm weather shade - Essie Nail Color in In The Cab-Ana from last year's Resort collection (two coats). This medium turquoise blue (it appears lighter in my photo) was a little thick for my liking, which caused some gaps and dragging, but overall applied opaque in two coats and has lasted with just some tip wear for six days now. This is actually my first time wearing this shade and I like it a lot more than I thought I would!

What nail polish shades do you favor this time of the year?

10 comments:

  1. I wonder if I still have Jules - that use of it on the accent finger makes me want to pull it out again! I've been wearing lots of bright, cheerful spring shades lately, which isn't at all my usual thing. Refreshing, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love essie and zoya polishes, too!
    I have Jules and Chinchilly, and love them dearly.
    I'm still sporting deep red and vampies but slowing moving towards some jellies and brights.
    I just bought a couple of last season polishes that are perfectly "spring", which motivates me to change my mani colors more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What pretty shades! For some reason, I'm still reaching for "winter" shades. I've been thinking about taking Dior Spring Ball back out though. Hopefully that will get me ready for my spring nail polish wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day a Dior polish shall be mine... One day! For me, going from winter darks to spring pastels and brights is definitely a process - hence Essie Chinchilly and Zoya Mosheen.

      Delete
  4. Chinchilly and Jules work so beautifully together - I would have been tempted to do that as a full mani!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided I don't quite like Jules on my skintone, as beautiful as it is in the bottle. But I know my bestie will for sure enjoy that one!

      Delete
  5. I'm really liking Chinchilly and just might get that one. :) At the moment, since I haven't fallen in love with any of the new spring colors so far, I alternate between Chanel Coup de Coeur and Guerlain Madame Batifolle but last week went with Essie Recessionista so I guess I'm still in the darker color mood. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful shade and seems to work on almost everyone! Hah, I just can't wait for this winter temps to be over - still very cold in New York... I'm definitely feeling my lilacs, purples and blues right now!

      Delete
  6. Ooh, Chinchilly looks so purple on your nails, I love it. On me it's more just a murky concrete grey. Love the accent nail with Jules as well, such a fantastic combination :) In The Cab-Ana is such a summery colour - Essie do make really gorgeous shades.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Chinchilly on you, too! And yeah, what the heck is going on, nails. My nails actually peel more when I don't paint, but I know painting the nails will make them dry at the first place. Catch 22. I'm eager to break into my pinks.. my fave is Chanel May or Morning Rose, but I may try something else, including the new formulation of Essie

    ReplyDelete