Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Cult Classics: Emma Hardie Amazing Face Moringa Cleansing Balm

If there was one stellar example of a product that was launched from nothingness into the spotlight by a beauty blogger, it would be the Emma Hardie Amazing Face Natural Lift & Sculpt Moringa Cleansing Balm ($63 for 100ml, available on feelunique.com with free worldwide delivery), recommended so often and for so long by Caroline Hirons that I did absolutely cave myself, even if it meant ordering from the UK. This post also offers a glimpse into my crazy hoarding habits: I believe I orderded this two years ago during Christmas, which I was spending in Poland, and then when it didn't arrive in time to be packed for our return trip to the US, I picked it up a year later and took it home - at which point I still didn't crack it open, because I had other things that needed finishing. But now... at long last... it's all mine to enjoy!!!
First off, a rant - I really dislike the packaging. I believe the design has been slightly altered since I got my pot, but it doesn't change the fact that using it is simply a pain in the backside. Sure, it looks luxurious with the double layer of plastic and has a nice heft to it; which would also make it a nightmare to travel with. But more than that, the product is a BALM - and surprise surprise, balms melt in warm weather - and then the oil seeps in between the layers of plastic, kind of ruining the luxurious effect. The product also comes with a plastic stopper/lid which I can never properly fit onto the opening of the tub, causing the oils gathered on top to ooze out the sides; oh, and I also CANNOT screw on the lid properly. I don't believe it's just a sudden deteroriation in my motor skills, although husband claims my dexterity only extends to being able to walk straight on a sidewalk and chew gum at the same time... anyway, eff that stupid jar. I hate it.
I'm only putting up with the idiotic packaging because the product inside is so LOVELY. The texture of the Emma Hardie Cleansing Balm is soft and very smooth - a lot smoother than the other cleansing balm I'd been using, the Elemental Herbology Purify & Soothe (although this brand actually managed to figure their packaging out). It melts and spreads on the skin very easily, and even more importantly, when removed with my standard hot cloth, leaves absolutely no residue, just soft, clean, nourished skin. I can tell the Emma Hardie balm is much easier to remove and lighter than the Elemental Herbology even when I rinse my oiled palms under the tap - it just comes off right away, which balm/oil products rarely do in contact with water. For this reason, I think the Moringa Cleansing Balm would be a great gateway cleansing balm for a balm cleansers' beginner.
I mainly use the Emma Hardie balm as my second cleanser on make-up wearing days; I prefer to first remove the slap with a cleansing oil and then nourish the skin with the Emma Hardie; I also use it as an only cleanser on make-up free days, or in the mornings. I absolutely do not find it too rich or heavy for morning use; in fact, I think it leaves my skin refreshed and prepped for make-up application. I actually disregard the instructions, which tell you to emulsify the product with water in your hands before applying - I just go straight in with the balm on a dry face, massage it in, concentrating on congested areas, and then remove with a damp hot cloth. Voila!
One other important thing to mention is that the Emma Hardie Moringa Cleansing Balm smells absolutely divine - like jasmin and mandarin oranges, which makes the cleansing process so much more enjoyable. There's quite a lot of essential oils in this formula, and even though citrus essential oils often irritate my sensitive skin, I have no issues with the product, and get very minimal redness when I cleanse with it - more so from the hot water and facial massage than the actual balm.

So yes, I'm happily joining the gazillion other beauty bloggers who rave about the Emma Hardie Cleansing Balm - it's just really, really good. I do wish it was easier to get hold of outside of the UK, and the price point was lower - but I can't help loving it. Definitely worth the splurge (although knowing myself, I'll try something cheaper/ more easily accessible once I'm finished with my jar - which won't be for a long time, hopefully).

Have you tried this cult cleansing balm? What is your current favorite cleanser?

9 comments:

  1. LOL at "deteroriation in my motor skills"! Packaging fail is always so annoying! That balm seems lovely looks like it gets only love, too bad it's not easier to get. Glad to know you like it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been awhile since I've seen this being talked about. I've been curious about trying it but I have so many cleansing oils, balms and waters to use up at the moment. I've been liking the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish which is quite affordable and nice with a warm muslin cloth for taking off makeup in a pinch. You should give it a go when you've used this up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish is another classic - where did you buy yours, Kar Yi? Do you find it irritating at all? I know some people had problems because it contains a lot of eucalyptus essential oil.

      Delete
  3. I really like Boots no 7 organics hot cloth balm cleanser, this is the one I'm talking about:

    http://us.boots.com/product/37416

    Yes, it contains shea butter and beeswax, but EH contains beeswax, too. The No 7's ingredients are really straight forward and simple. I like that EH contains both glycerin and lecithin; these two ingredients made it possible for the cleanser to be emulsified with water, whereas No 7 does not. Glad I see this review, Monika, I think this EH cleanser is a good product but I don't know if I will purchase it due to the price :-\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking at that one for a long time, but never pulled the trigger - glad to hear you like it! I didn't know glycerin and lecithin were emulsifiers in the EH; I only knew that PEGs and Polysorbates are common cosmetic emulsifiers, and in fact, I found this DIY recipe online for a cleansing oil using your carrier oil of choice and Polysorbate 80. But I just read that in food, egg yolk is an emulsifier because it contains lecithin! *geeks out*

      I wish the Boots No 7 one came in a bigger jar though :/ Will probably try it next time anyhow!

      Delete
  4. I love the Emma Hardie cleansing balm! I do want to try out the Body Shop one, since it's so much cheaper and Emma Hardie really is an investment!

    xx Anine
    redlipsandbeautybits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard quite good things about The Body Shop one, although many say it's a lot heavier than the Emma Hardie. But so much cheaper, especially with TBS sales!

      Delete
  5. Dude, your self-control is amazing -- I can't believe you managed not to dig into this for so long!

    I'm not loving the sound of this packaging, but your review only makes me want this balm more :| It sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The product sounds great, but the packaging scares me by the way you explain it, but it looks so nice on the outside!

    Evi // Beneath the Glitter // http://evithefashionista.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete