Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Succulence of Dew: Rouge Bunny Rouge Sheer Lipstick in Dissolved in Dreams

Even though I'm trying hard to be good and not buy any make-up this month, I still have a lot of new products waiting to be tested and reviewed, so worry not, there's going to be plenty of things to talk about. The Rouge Bunny Rouge Succulence of Dew Sheer Lipstick in Dissolved in Dreams ($24 for 3.8 g) is one of such backburner products; I've had it sitting unopened for... maybe a year and a half.
Since I got it as a gift with purchase with a Beautyhabit order all this time ago, the packaging has been redesigned slightly - it's an all black tube now. This lipstick is a prime example of why I should not make orders based on the free gift: as it turns out, I absolutely did not need it. Lesson learnt; but now that it's in my stash, at least I can churn out some verbiage and photos for your benefit.
Not that it's a bad product; I just don't really care for it personally, for a number of reasons. First, it's not really that sheer, which is what I was hoping for. Secondly, and most importantly, the shade I have, Dissolved in Dreams (008) is a 'shiny watermelon with a silver shimmer'. This short description reveals two big problems: not only do I have watermelon lipsticks up the wazoo, but that silver shimmer? It's LARGE particles of shimmer verging on microglitter. Which I do not appreciate in my lip products.
The formula itself is nothing outstanding, and together with the glittery finish, really reminds me of some of the Revlon Lip Butters, particularly something like Peach Parfait. Despite the fact that the untouched bullet of the Rouge Bunny Rouge looks nearly matte in my close-ups, the lipstick is quite slippy and glossy, and unfortunately tends to gather both in vertical lip lines as well as around dry skin.
It does wear comfortably on the lips and I have to admit that it feels very smooth - no grittiness from those silver shimmer particles. However, it also transfers and wears off very easily, as most sheer lipsticks are wont to do - and then you have to deal with one of the main reasons I dislike glitter in lip products, which is that weird ring of sparkly bits around your mouth that persists long after the color itself has disappeared from your lips. It feels moisturizing while on the lips, but doesn't leave my lips any more hydrated by the end of the day; nor moisturizing nor drying per se.
L-R: Rouge Bunny Rouge Dissolved in Dreams, MAC Viva Glam Cyndi, YSL Pink Grenadine, MAC Jest
And again, how in the world I am able to buy the same shade of lipstick over and over again from all different brands is beyond me. Rouge Bunny Rouge Dissolved in Dreams is the most similar to the discontinued MAC Viva Glam in Cyndi, although the latter is in fact more sheer, less coral and lacks the annoying microglitter. It has a comparable level of warmth to another discontinued shade, YSL Pink Grenadine, but it's a much glossier formula. It's also quite close to one of my newer acquisitions, Guerlain Rouge G in Georgia. And probably another fifty lipsticks in my stash. WHY.
So there you go - I think it pulls a bit coral red on me, but I'm guessing it could pull a bit more pink on someone with a warmer skintone. I haven't quite made my mind up yet if I want to keep it as a back-up to Viva Glam Cyndi, or if I'd prefer to pass it on to someone who may love it more than I do. Have you tried any of the Rouge Bunny Rouge lip products? What are your thoughts?

16 comments:

  1. I have tried many lipstick's shades from Rouge Bunny Rouge and always found them great. This shade is so pretty on you! Kisses <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just trying out one of the new colors in the new formula in the sheer lipstick now. I didn't like Dissolved in Dreams either, for some of the same reasons you mentioned Monika. The large silver chunks is not good. I don't like the tactile sensation of it. I like several of the other old sheer colors though, but my favorites were the older full pigment lipsticks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How are you liking that new shade, Belly? I wasn't sure if they just repackaged the sheer lipsticks or reformulated as well, their website doesn't really specify. I haven't tried any of their opaque lipsticks but I guess after this experience, I'm not really rushing to buy one :)

      Delete
    2. By "trying out" I more specifically mean oohing and aahing and sniffing the bullet. :) Doesn't have the same spicy fig scent as the older ones so something definitely changed. The old sheer ones are variable in texture (some very soft and others firmer) but I've heard that the new ones are more consistent in texture. :D

      Delete
  3. Belly is right. Silver chunks are not good. Your experience with this lipstick contains all of the reasons why my tube of Revlon Peach Parfait went in the bin maybe a week after I bought it. I feel bad tossing out "usable" cosmetics but I didn't have anyone to give it to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, I still hold on to my Peach Parfait! Mostly because I like the shade on me so much that I am able to look past the glitter, but I'd like to use up my tube some time soon and I won't repurchase. I think if you own something you hate, it's good to get rid of it, one way or the other.

      Delete
  4. I love how we are creature of habits and keep buying the same shade over and over again hahaha! It's really quite astounding. But yeah, silver chunks is no to me too. Like why are they even there? To just annoy us I think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol. That not-impressed face...Actually Peach Parfait wasn't too bad for me (after I learn to accept lip butter aren't supposed to be moisturizing), at least it was wet and glossy. Anyway, never tried RBR (if I do, I would probably start with eyeshadow or blush) but at the very least the color looks pretty in the bullet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, that face shot was probably the least bitchy one from the whole line-up - clearly, I wasn't all smiles that day ;) I agree about the wet and glossy appearance of Lip Butters, I think that's the reason so many people loved them when they first came out. You just reminded me, I still need to try one of the RBR blushes!

      Delete
  6. I haven't tried RBR lipsticks before but silver chunks just put me off instantly. It's amazing how you just unconsciously pick up the same shade from different brands. You must love this colour a lot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely indeed! It has a great finish. Actually, I haven't tried this brand of lippie for I usually prefer MAC or Revlon. Seeing this makes me wanna try it out now. This will be in my purchase list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From reading this, I'd say this a far inferior back-up of the gorgeous Cyndi - why can't they bring that shade back?! I haven't really thought about why my Revlon Lip Butters go unloved, but I think they slipperiness of them coupled with my owning some unflattering shades and the glittery Peach Parfait might have something to do with it...
    Might have to crack out Peach Parfait and give it a whirl (and bring out Cyndi to enjoy, too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - so many people absolutely LOVE Cyndi, why did it have to be limited edition? Cyndi looks a bit nicer on me, more rosy red versus orangey red. I really like the actual shade of the Revlon Peach Parfait, I just don't appreciate the glitters :/ I'm like - it's the 21st century, people, no grown-up woman wants glitter on her lips!

      Delete
  9. I wear many RBR lippies and prefer non glittery lippies but I love this one for casual wear in lieu of a gloss. You may not care for this but I think you look beautiful in the photo wearing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words! I'm still holding on to it, I think the shade would be really nice for summer - but then again, I have a lot of similar shades already :/ We'll see if I decide to keep it or pass it on in the end!

      Delete
  10. The colour is very pretty, but I agree with you: I'm not a bit fan of glitter on my lip products. I actually got Chanel Boy after swatching it and well, it's ok, but when in the lips it has a bit too much glitter for my taste.

    ReplyDelete