Tuesday, May 19, 2015

A Week in Faces of the Day

Things haven't been particularly interesting in these parts when it comes to new make-up acquisitions, so I figured I could just show you a couple (well, five) make-up looks I've been sporting recently. These are my usual 'a tweak here, a tweak there' everyday looks, so it's not anything you haven't seen before, but still, maybe you'll find an element or two inspiring or fun to incorporate into your routine. Enjoy!
This is one of my go-to looks, featuring a brighter lip color (Inglot Gel Lipstick no. 58 from my Project Make A Dent) and a slightly winged out eyeliner - I believe this was possibly the last of my Urban Decay Rockstar eyeliner, also from the Project. I wanted to multitask my denting products, so I layered a Michael Todd lipgloss in Natural under the berry lipstick, and I did not like that effect at all - you can see a little bit in the photo, but basically it caused most of the pigment from the bright lipstick to migrate towards the outside of my mouth, almost giving the look of a darker lipliner. Don't try this at home, kids! I was unsatisfied with this look enough to have another go at it later in the week, which you'll see below.
This was my attempt at a lazy but glowy weekend look. I say lazy, because I skipped a product here that I very rarely omit from my make-up routine: a spot concealer. In fact, a spot concealer is the one product I always said I couldn't do without. But my skin has been looking pretty clear recently, and I haven't had the need to do as much pinpoint concealing as I used to. For my base, I applied Dermalogica's Sheer Tint SPF20 in Light (which turned out to have no coverage whatsoever), and layered Laura Mercier's Mineral Powder in Tender Rose over the top, which gave my skin a lightweight, dewy look with most of my freckles peeking through. On the eyes, I played with Urban Decay Electric on the waterline, and made sure to add plenty of black mascara. Cheeks are Laura Mercier Lotus Pink, lips are Revlon Superlustrous gloss in Coral Reef.
Now, I've recently been lemming a lavender blush to add to my collection. I think it's the result of craving something new to play with, and browsing Korean make-up products on eBay; it seems that pastel purple blush is a big trend in Korea. But, I've exhausted my make-up low buy allowance for this month, and I also expected said blush wouldn't get to me in time to be seasonally appropriate (not with the hot and humid weather we've been having in NYC recently), so I shopped my stash instead, and came out with La Femme Powder Blush in Flamingo Pink and NYX Mega Shine Lipgloss in Dolly. I thought they complemented each other nicely, and I did a very basic eye with the Dior quint in Earth Reflections coupled with a more interesting dark teal liner by way of Sephora Contour pencil in Surfer Babe.
Here's another rendition of that first failed berry lip look. This time, I decided against a cat eye, opting for a very fine line right against the lashline instead for some extra definition; the eyeshadow look was also rather subtle thanks to the lighter shades in the Dior Earth Reflection. I've used quite a bit of Stila Convertible Color in Lillium (also from Project Make A Dent) on the cheeks to offset the darker lip, and patted my Inglot no. 58 over a layer of Milani Anti-Feathering Transparent Lip Liner to achieve a more matte look. I thought it turned out much prettier than the first attempt!
Lastly, here's my version of a daytime smokey eye. I decided to wear my Rouge Bunny Rouge Chronos Eyeshadow Palette on the eyes, using the navy charcoal shade in the outer corner. I also bronzed up my face a little with Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil, dabbed some of that Stila Lillium on the cheeks, and swept a small amount of Laura Mercier Baked Highlight on top of the cheekbones - that's where that subtle glow is coming from. On the lips, I used only the nude Michael Todd lipgloss. Overall, it wasn't my favorite look either - I think I'm looking a bit tired and sallow here, and maybe a slightly darker My Lips But Better shade would have counteracted that. Well, you live, you learn, right?

Which one of these looks is your personal favorite? I hope this wasn't terribly boring, you guys - I always enjoy seeing what people actually wear on their faces from day to day, so I thought it was worth sharing. Let me know what make-up look you've been sporting most recently!

21 comments:

  1. Oh loooove the looks, Monika! Can't really decide which one is my fav but I might have to go with the first one :) Also, the earrings suit you so well! Excellent pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sunny, only your expert eyes would spot the earrings as well! They were a gift from my aunt a very, very long time ago, and I dug them out recently. You can really tell these looks were actually all from the same week from that same pair of earrings, haha :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Monika! Its so hard to pick a favorite you look FAB whatever you wear! :-) I love the little teal accents thats really pretty on you besides the last nude look is my favorite! There something very edgy and glam about it! :-)

    TheConscienceFund

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously adore the 4th look. You look so beautiful in all of them but that deep colorful lip and amazing lashes (so jealous) make it all come together beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear! Haha, the lashes are all thanks to the LiLash serum :)

      Delete
  4. I'm always wondering what you put in your inner corner? It is the prettiest highlight! The fourth is definitely my favourite. You are so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you Floortje! Sorry for the late reply - it was a whole bunch of different shadows, but a few looks had either the pale pink or the ivory from the Dior Earth Reflections quint I recently blogged about. I also often reach for Laura Mercier Baked Powder in Highlight, it works fantastic to brighten the eyes as well as the cheeks.

      Delete
  5. I actually think the first lips look nice in the photo - like you deliberately did a subtle ombre thing, not lip linery at all. I love the pale blue eyeliner, too. You've inspired me to try something like that. In general, I need to use my eyeliners more. I've been lazy with them lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lyn! The pale blue eyeliner is another version of a Rouge Bunny Rouge summer look from last year that I recreated on the blog - theirs had a more cobalt blue eyeliner paired with some gold shadows, very pretty.

      Delete
  6. It's not boring at all, Monika. All the looks are so beautiful and clean. I love that you use different lip colors, and different eye looks - you're so diligent in applying makeup. I've been wearing the same makeup style for a while now. I've only been playing with different combinations of bases :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to have fun with my make-up, Lily! But sometimes, when I'm not in the mood or too pressed for time, I only do a bare-bones type of look to conceal imperfections and play up eyes and lips a bit more. I love experimenting with bases! However, my Project Make A Dent put a bit of a halt on that...

      Delete
  7. I love seeing looks all together like this! And I like how detailed and thought-out yours are! I'm much more piecemeal. I pick an eyeshadow look and then slap together everything else - I like your approach better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, mine also usually begin by me wanting to use one specific product, and then I build everything else around it, especially if it's a brighter lip or a colorful liner/ eyeshadow - I don't want everything becoming 'too much'. Thank you Adele! <3

      Delete
  8. I love the ones with a nudey lip - the Michael Todd last look and the one with Revlon Coral Reef (which I am still yet to pull out and use, oops!) I love how perfect each of your shots are, so envious as it takes me an age to get a good makeup shot I'm content with ><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, Emma, you don't know how many shots it took to get these ;) Have you noticed how I have a good side and a bad side for mug shots, lol? See, I'm usually not the biggest fan of a nude lip on me, but I think I'm coming around to it for some looks!

      Delete
  9. A gorgeous set of looks, Monika! All fresh and radiant!

    And your lashes, lady. I am all the jelly :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. All these looks are beautiful, but I think the last is my favourite - I'm a sucker for a daytime smoky with a nude lip. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely LOVE this post and seeing all these different creations! It's great to see them side by side (so to speak) - really shows how the nuances of what certain colors and combinations can do for you (us)! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the glow the teal and coral give your skin in the 2nd shot, definitely my favourite!

    ReplyDelete