Friday, September 4, 2015

What's In My Travel Make-up Bag: Two Weeks in Tuscany

We're flying to Italy tonight! I'm choosing to disregard the fact that we still need to haul ourselves to JFK by subway, spend 9 hours on a transatlantic flight, wait another couple hours at Charles de Gaulle in Paris (probably my LEAST favorite airport in the world) and then, at long last, we'll finally reach Florence. In an attempt to dispel some of that Reisefieber, I'll be sharing the contents of my fortnight travel make-up bag with you today.
In the spirit of simplifying and what not, I've tried to only pack a minimum of products that would still allow me a little bit of variety for different occasions. Essentially, our family holiday in Tuscany is going to be very casual: we're staying at an old country house, and we're planning to spend our days lounging, sightseeing, visiting wineries and gorging ourselves on glorious local fare. I also don't want to spend a long time getting ready in the morning and fiddling with my make-up when I could be spending that precious time with the family instead - so I'm aiming for a quick, pulled together look that can take me from roaming between the vineyards to dining at a cosy restaurant in the city.
The bag itself was a gift from a friend but I believe it came from Forever21. It is the perfect size for all my essentials, and it's just a bit padded for extra security. Starting with face products, one category I don't want to skip is my facial SPF, which is why you're seeing both the Paula's Choice Resist SPF 30 and the Bourjois CC Cream SPF 15. The reason I'm putting the sunscreen in my make-up bag is that I've recently taken to mixing it in with my foundation (or CC cream), or applying one after another in quick succession. I feel that this method allows for better blendability, and a more natural look to the skin. I'll be using the Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Concealer on both my under eye area and my blemishes, and setting everything with MAC Pressed Blot Powder in Medium.
For my cheeks, I've actually been going back and forth and considering only taking the Stila Convertible Color in Lillium from my Project Make A Dent. I'm really not sure if I need theBalm Bahama Mama bronzer (I've been a bit ambivalent towards bronzers lately and mostly use them to match my white neck to a darker foundation on my face, but the Bourjois CC Cream is a good match at the moment), or the Canmake Cream Cheeks in Clear Pink Joy, but they're in the bag for now.
On the eyes, I've wanted something fuss-free and neutral, so I went with the Maybelline Bad to the Bronze Color Tattoo (either alone or as an eyeshadow base), Dior quint in Earth Reflections (suitable for both subtle and more smokey looks, and the pale shimmery shades can double as a cheek highlight) and Pixi Beauty Endless Silky Eye Pen in Copper Glow (either to quickly smudge along the lashline, a subtle wing or definition in the waterline). A good, long wearing mascara is also a must, and I've been enjoying my tube of Mally Beauty Volumizing Mascara in Black the past couple of weeks. For my brows, I opted for the NYX Micro Brow Pencil in Taupe - the handy spoolie on the end saves me from packing a separate brush for my brows.
I've been debating over my lip choices for a long time, but in the end went with two lipsticks from my panning projects: Revlon Lip Butter in Peach Parfait for a shimmery peach and Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Monte Carlo for an easy, sheer red. I also added a tube of Maybelline Color Elixir in Caramel Infused for my MLBB pinky mauve fix.
Lastly, for perfume I'm planning to decant one of my perfume minis into a refillable travel spray - this one is from BornPrettyStore. Fun fact, nearly all of my deluxe samples of perfume are 5 ml, while a regular small sample vial of perfume holds between 1,5 to 2 ml. So I could be just taking three small perfume samples with me (I know for a fact that it's more than enough for a two week trip), but you know, gotta use those minis at some point too.
I hope you enjoyed this quick peek into my current travel make-up bag; here's the last version from winter 2013 if you're curious. I realize that what I consider a more streamlined make-up bag may actually be someone else's entire make-up collection, but come on people, we're all beauty addicts here. If you'd like to see MOAR ideas for packing make-up, here are two helpful posts: one from Kar Yi on space-saving solutions for your travel make-up bag, and another from Larie on packing a carry-on beauty pouch for weekend getaways. Do you travel light make-up wise, or do you like to have options? Do you have any special travel tricks or tips up your sleeve that help you save both time in the morning and space in your suitcase? I'd love to know!

10 comments:

  1. Lucky you! Have a nice trip! Do you pack it all inside that bag in your checked luggage? I tend to put some things in a ziplock bag in my carryon for fear that my luggage will be lost/delayed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Monika, thanks for sharing :-) I usually pack very light when it comes to makeup. 1 BB cream, 1 lip and cheek pot, 1 tinted lip balm, 1 brow pencil and 1 mascara. I don't even bother bringing eye shadows most of the time, because I usually don't use it. If I'm ambitious, I might probably add in a liner, and that's it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, I hope you can pick up one of those Evian misters at the airport! Those long flights wreak havoc on our skin and are so drying. Two weeks in Tuscany... Im so so jealous. Will you pick up some beauty goodies while there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your choice of products. I think that it is an appropiate amount. I made the experience that 6 eyeshadows, 2 blushes, 2 lipsticks, 2 eyeliner and 2 fragrances are enough for 2 weeks. I use to pack one seperate small make up bag containing a moisturizing lipstick, a concealer, a fragrance mini, a toothbrush and toothpaste in my hand luggage. Just in case...

    P.S. I haven't known that the German word "Reisefieber" found its way to English xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have SUCHHHHH a good time!! I can't wait to hear all about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the shoutout, Monika! Your trip sounds amazing - have the most lovely time! I want to see photos! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I hope you have an amazing time! Florence is one of my favourite cities.

    Revlon Lip Butters in neutral shades are perfect for travelling because they're such no-brainers. I did a lot of travelling this past academic year and went completely through a tube of Berry Smoothie pretty much solely using it on the weekends I went out of the country. The colour and formula made it so easy to just slap on quickly and wear comfortably.

    I can travel light or heavy with makeup, depending on the trip. When I was doing a lot of travelling on my year abroad I was flying Ryanair so I could only have one carry-on, which meant super minimal products. I basically had a travel makeup uniform that I perfected over the months. But I prefer options, which means that I have fewer or no baggage restrictions I go a little wild. It's not unheard of for me to bring more lipsticks than days I'll be away, just because I don't know what mood I'll be in each day. My main packing light tip is pretty cliche/basic: bring things that multi-task or are versatile. I can get through an entire weekend trip with one pair of black jeans. It's not always glamourous, but it's serviceable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Travel, Monika!! Hope you are having fun as we speak and come back with lots of stories, pictures & good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE seeing what you're taking with you to Italy - I always overpack for holidays and weekends away, it can get quite silly quite quickly with me unfortunately! I will be bookmarking this post for our upcoming trip to Bali, and try to slim down my packing

    ReplyDelete