Monday, November 30, 2015

Multi-tasking Base: Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream SPF42

Missha was one of the first Korean brands to arrive on our beauty scene, and their Perfect Cover BB Cream SPF 42 PA +++ ($22 for 50ml but frequently on sale: entire Missha website is 40% off plus free shipping until midnight today) was one of the first products from the brand to win the hearts of many a beauty blogger. I purchased this smaller 20ml trial size in-store last year (don't you think all brands should offer smaller sizes of foundations for less? Such a great idea!) and I've only just dug it out from my back-up stash to try now.
Missha's BB Cream comes in a simple cardboard box with a full list of ingredients (although surprisingly, the sunscreen content is not listed separately as an active ingredient, which I believe is required by law here in the US), and the product itself is packaged in a slim squeeze tube, which I always appreciate. The claims for this BB Cream are 'natural-looking coverage while providing sun protection, treating dark spots, and preventing wrinkles', and it can be used either as a primer or alone as a foundation.
The texture of this product is a slightly thicker lotion that spreads and blends out easily on the skin. It does have quite a strong fragrance - it smells like a cross between old-school Nivea and sunscreen to me, kinda nostalgic - and it can linger, so I would advise against purchasing this BB if you're sensitive to scents. The Perfect Cover BB definitely has a more emollient, moisturizing feel as it contains mineral oil as well as natural plant oils, glycerine and hyaluronic acid, but I wouldn't say it feels heavy or tacky once blended in. The coverage is light (a bit surprising given the product's name, but in line with the brand's claims) and it has a natural, glowy finish on the skin. This BB Cream doesn't pool into my fine lines or pores, but due to the dewy effect, it doesn't disguise them either.
Compared to the L'Occitane Immortelle Precious BB Cream that I reviewed not too long ago, on my combination skin, I definitely prefer the Missha Perfect Cover because of its better longevity and more lightweight feel (I didn't include the L'Occitane BB in the swatches as I've already passed it on to a drier-skinned friend). I'm not surprised that Perfect Cover is one of Missha's best-sellers - it would be a fantastic multi-purpose product for someone looking for just a little bit of coverage to even things out but with the added conveniance of not having to layer a separate SPF or even moisturizer under one's foundation in the morning. One thing to keep in mind is that this product has a tendency to leave a bit of an ashy cast on the skin (probably due to high zinc oxide content); the shade I chose, Light Beige no. 21, can look a bit grey on my skin if applied more generously.
L-R: Missha Perfect Cover BB in no. 21 Light Beige, Revlon Colorstay in Ivory, Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation in PK-1
All in all, I'm quite happy with Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream. Most days, the coverage is a bit too light for me, but I've also been mixing it in with a more longlasting and opaque foundation, and I like the effect. I also really enjoy wearing Missha's BB when my skin is particularly dry and dehydrated (hello, winter season!), although it doesn't have any miraculous properties like erasing flaky skin - it just feels more comfortable than a mattifying base. What foundation do you usually reach for once the weather cools down? Do you prefer to layer SPF with foundation, or do you rely on sunscreen in your base products?

3 comments:

  1. I thought the gray cast on Korean BB cream is quite typical across the brands and that's why I don't like a lot of them (and that's a very easy way for me to tell if a girl is Korean, coming from the Asian who can't tell Asian apart...). Currently I am using the garnier miracle skin perfecter, not a bb cream but it covers up all the marks (from picking) really quickly and its wetness actually goes well with the windy weather. I also started to wear sunscreen all the time (I didn't really need it since I work in a dark room) and that actually keeps my skin clear for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this one in the beginning of this year, but the colour did not match. It is too rosy and grey for me and slightly light. Shade 23 was too dark and even more rosy and grey. I like the coverage of those products, because they don't cover my freckles. The texture is superb, but as I became allergic to macadamic nuts, I can not use it every day. If I use it three days in a row, my skin becomes really dry and red. Therefore I am still looking for alternatives, but I haven't found one yet.
    SPF is not important to me. Due to my skin type, I do not tan easily and my last sunburn was over 10 years ago. Hopelessly I became allergic to one of the most important chemical filters. I searched 4 (!!) months for a new sunscreen with other chemical filters. I only use sunscreen when it's really neccessary. I hope that I find another BB Cream or foundation wihout SPF or with a chemical filter that my skin tolerates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this foundation. It's my holy grail! Never breaks me out, great color match (I'm no. 21 as well), and always makes me look great.

    ReplyDelete