Thursday, March 31, 2011

Review: TRESemmé Naturals & Fresh Start

I've never been too big on 'hair stuff', long or short hairstyle. I can happily spend an hour doing my manicure or blending away eyeshadows, but when it comes to hair, I just don't have the patience. Which is why I'm always on the lookout for cheap and cheerful, but effective products that can save me some time in taking care of my mane.


I picked up the TRESemmé Naturals Radiant Volume Shampoo ($6 for 25 oz./739 ml) because 1) I liked the fresh scent, 2) I liked the big bottle since Mr always has a preference for my shampoo over his, 3) I liked that it had less sulphates. Contrarily to some, I don't find this to be the case of false marketing, as it actually states on the front of the bottle that the shampoo has just that: lower sulphate content, not that they're absent altogether. Again, please remember that the word 'natural' on any given cosmetic label is pretty meaningless per se if it's not backed up by an actual certification.

This lathers well in my hair, and after some massaging at the roots, washes away leaving me with nice clean hair. I haven't noticed an incredible difference in volume, but my hair is short and when I wake up in the morning, I sometimes wish it was less voluminous than my reflection tells me. It gets Mr's seal of approval as well and I have already repurchased; it's not a Holy Grail, but for the time being, very decent and inexpensive find.


Then, I also got TRESemmé Naturals Lightweight Mousse ($5.50 for 6.5 oz) since the range was BOGO back then at RiteAid. Now this, I'm not too happy with. After what seems like ages of shaking the can, I put a walnut sized blob in my wet hair, massage it in a bit and leave to air dry. What I find is that when my hair is dry, the products gives me crusty spikes that have to be brushed out later on. I does make styling a bit easier, but doesn't really hold anything in place after combing.


The last product is the famous TRESemmé Fresh Start Dry Shampoo for Oily/Straight to Normal Hair ($4.50-$5 for 5.7 oz). I'm not too crazy about the scent of this one, but I can deal with it, because it is a pretty rad little thing. I usually spray it on sections of my hair at the roots and massage the white powder in until it becomes invisible. It gives an amazing amount of volume and allows me to style my hair into a fauxhawk for that rocker chic look. It does take away the oiliness for a day, but I'd guess it's necessary to wash your hair the following morning/evening, which I always do anyway.

Hope these mini reviews help some of you looking for an inexpensive hair fix. Have you tried any of these products? What are your favorite hair ranges from the drugstore?

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the review--i have very few products from this line, and was wondering about the dry shampoo.

    as far as drugstore hair ranges--i like aussie's 3 minute miracle deep conditioner, and the l'oreal split end mender. otherwise, there is nothing that i am too attached to. wait! treSemme's (duh) spray-on heat protector. I use tons of it and it doesn't weigh down the hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to stick to my salon faves, but I noticed that drugstores like CVS started carrying a lot of salon brands like CHI, Redken, Bumble & Bumble, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really interested in that dry shampoo - I recently dyed my hair crazy red, and that color fades as soon as you even start THINKING about washing it. Do you think the smell is something that would annoy people at the office? What's it like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @fantastic: I've used some L'Oreal split end serum, but it was just ok - or my ends were just beyond repair... I love that TRESemme heat protector too, but don't use it that much now that my hair is short.

    @Kajal Couture: So true, but I think actually salon brands are more expensive at the drugstore than in a salon...

    @Dagny: Not at all, it just smells like a citrusy hairspray, I'm simply not that fond of it but don't mind it all that much in my hair. Maybe have a little sniff at the store? Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete