Monday, August 20, 2012

Products I Regret Buying Vol. 2

Nothing like a good rant to get me back into the swing of things, right? Normally, mediocre products don't really manage to get me worked up - I just shove them to the back of the drawer where they don't see the light of day for another couple months... if not years. But since I'm trying to downsize my stash and stop just hoarding countless beauty products, I've been working my way through these unloved bits and bobs, and let me tell you - some of them are just absolutely INFURIATING.

 1. Wet'n'Wild Natural Blend Lip Shimmer in 104 ($0.99 for 0.11 oz) - the actual name of the shade was probably printed on the plastic wrap, as usual, but it seems to be Berry. I don't know what to say, ladies - I guess I was impressed that you could have a Natural Products Association Seal on a $0.99 lipstick. It's a glittery mess, though, and stays put for maybe an hour at its best. I could have gotten a gallon of mineral water instead.
 2. Avon Lipstick in Metallic Blush. The story of how I got this is quite peculiar; I ordered a different lipstick altogether from my mum's colleague, an Avon lady; and then, a month later, got this instead, because the one I wanted was not available (or something). I mean... huh? Again, a fruity-scented glittery mess. If someone ever describes a lipstick to you using the adjective 'metallic', just run.
 3. LAVANILA The Healthy Deodorant in Vanilla Passion Fruit ($18 for 1.7 oz). I've been looking for a more natural deodorant that's not a crystal, and Suka&Spice recommended this; I really liked the packaging and the scent, so didn't hesitate much to grab it. However, it's just not effective on me - don't know, maybe I'm just a real stinker but I can't wear this if I want to make sure I stay odorless throughout the day. Sad face.
 4. Skindinavia No More Shine Make-up Finish Setting Spray ($19 for 2 oz). A glowing review online convinced me to try this but as above, this just does not work on me - I think I might be actually getting oily even faster when I spray this on. I've tried using it a couple different ways, before my make-up, after my make-up, both, shaking the bottle for what feels like eternity; still, just doesn't work. Don't waste your money, people.
 5. Physicians Formula Organic Wear 3-in-1 Powder, Bronzer and Highlighter Trio (seems like it's been discontinued - thank God!). I got this probably two years ago when I was really into more natural products; I also thought it could be a great multitasker to take on a trip. However, the problem is that this face trio has absolutely no pigmentation, and the surface is quite hard, so even the face powder doesn't perform at all. I did like the leaf embossing, though!
 6. Stila Forever Your Curl Mascara ($22 for 0.24 oz). This was a deluxe sample I got in my Sample Society box a while back (and, on a positive note, I'm still really enjoying that subscription service!) that definitely failed to impress - for one thing, this curling mascara actually straightened my lashes, even after using a lash curler, but even more importanly, it flaked off terribly; it wouldn't even get through a short shift at work. Bleh.
 7. Peter Thomas Roth Max Sheer All Day Moisture Oil-Free SPF 30 ($42 for 1.7 fl oz, mine was a Gift with Purchase). See, I even have here a sunscreen that doesn't work; no mean feat, right? This sun protective moisturizer not only feels very heavy and greasy on my skin but also doesn't shield from the sun all that well either - I've definitely got a good tan while wearing it on my chest and shoulders; well, at least I didn't burn. Not sure why this is so popular.
8. Lush Porridge Bar Soap ($6.95 for 3.5 oz). I know, it looks like a moon rock of some kind - the thing is, it feels the same way on your skin. The abundance of hard and scratchy oat grains makes it impossible to enjoy even on my feet, and the pleasant scent is long gone too. The sparse amount of soap that holds it all together is harsh and drying as well. I think that might have been my last bar soap from Lush... like ever.

Good news is that since taking photos for this post, I've given many of these products away to my family - hopefully someone will get to enjoy them... or at least will try it a couple more times before chucking away. For the rest, I'm still working my way through as a punishment for careless money-spending; no more impulse-buying for me anymore, no siree!

What has been recently added to your 'Products I Regret Buying' list? Anything I should steer clear off in the future?

15 comments:

  1. I love reading these posts while writing about them absolutely infuriates me because I feel like I've wasted so much money on things that didn't work out for me. I'm surprised the Skindinavia spray didn't work for you as I've only heard raves (haven't tried it myself). I actually quite liked the Peter Thomas Roth sunscreen but I used it over top of my moisturizer so that it would sink in better. I'm pretty picky with sunscreens and only a few I would rate as good or better. I'm glad to see a photo of Lush Porridge as I was thinking about trying it but I doubt I would like it seeing how it's so abrasive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i LOVED this post toooo!!!!

      -Jen <3
      Follow me: chiccupcake1.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. It's great to see some of the things that haven't worked for you! Though I have to say, I personally love that Skindinavia setting spray... it works great for me. Just goes to show how different things work for different people!

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a little bottle of the original one to try, maybe it's just this formula that doesn't work for me?

      Delete
  3. I hated the WNW lip shimmer too! And I'm glad to hear the Skindinavia spray didn't work for you, as I've been passively interested in trying it for a while and now know I don't need to! Also, that Lush bar of soap looks *brutal*. Whoever designed it should be forced to use it on their face every day, yeesh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one! I have been wanting to buy the Skindinavia for very long. Now I know not to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post, Monika. These things all sound scary, hahaha. I don't like metallic lippies either - well, maybe a certain kind of frostiness is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post! the Loreal Infallible were a fail for me and is sitting in a drawer now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! The Lush soap looks scary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got one of the Lavanila deodorants too and definitely was kinda bummed about the performance. I honestly don't even sweat that much--and this may sound weird, but I think I smell worse when I use anti-perspirant than when I don't...I have a theory that it's because the product blocks my pores and the (ahem) smell builds up behind the thick layer. So gross, I know...anyway, I thought a natural deodorant would work better--but I still got the same, stinky results after a few hours. The search continues...I recently read a review on Kai's Deodorant and I REALLY want to try that one now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to know about the lavanila deodorants. Not enough posts on natural deodorants haha! I use them about 60% of the time only but haven't found my 'go to' one yet.
    Def run from all lip products named metallic!
    Hope you're well xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol @ being a real stinker. Bet you're not. It seems weird to me that deodorants should smell because it tells me it's just covering up odour and not eliminating it.

    That PTR lotion is such a disappointment. I was hoping to try that at some point. And that LUSH bar looks scary indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love hearing about people's "worst" products but have to say...I *LOVE* the Lush Porridge soap! Sorry it didn't work for you :( I've only tried a few of the other products, totally agree with the WnW lip shimmer, ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's definitely interesting to see how different products work for different people. I actually really like the original Skindinvia setting spray and think it works quite well for me. I've heard that its the same formula as the UD version (which I have yet to try). I've also found certain sunblocks do not work well for me and recently found out it is because most sunscreens contain chemical (sun) blockers [as the active ingredients on your PTR shows) and don't contain many or any physical (sun) blockers [ie titanium dioxide and zinc oxide]. I spent the summer reading EVERY sunscreen bottle I saw and rarely can across any with those physical blockers. A medication I take makes me especially sensitive to the sun and I found out the hard way that just using a high SPF with a chemical blocker (even every 2 hours) resulted in me getting so horribly burnt, I had blisters in several places. Now I know so I take special care to buy sunscreen with a physical blocker and even when it is very hot make sure to wear a wide brimmed hat and these sleeves that my college roommate and close friend gave me.
    New follower and fellow blogger,
    ~Jaclyn~
    www.jaclynsmusings.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear and welcome! I'm now using a mineral sunscreen as well, I find that the zinc oxide ones work the best from the sunscreens I've tried so far - I talked about it in my Sun Protection Must-Haves. I will try the Skindinavia a couple more times, maybe it's the No Shine formula that doesn't work that great?

      Delete