Monday, January 20, 2014

Project Make A Dent #1

I've decided to join in the Project Make A Dent fun! This idea to make a concentrated effort to use up a selection of make-up products was started by Lola from lola's secret beauty blog (read her original post here), and so far Gummy from Gummy Vision and Joyce from Bronzer Bunny have jumped on the bandwagon.

I actually try to use a similar principle in my day to day make-up choices; I usually single out specific items to use up and supplement them with other fun varying bits from my collection to avoid make-up boredom. So I've been slowly but surely making a dent in some of these products you see here at least since last year - but still I'd like to monitor my progress more and maybe finally have the satisfaction of completely using up some of these. I've linked my reviews for the products where possible if you'd like to read more about them.
For my base, I have the last 1/3 of Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum left to use up; if I succeed at that in a reasonable amount of time, I'll probably replace it with Face Atelier Ultra Foundation as my next denting victim. I've also selected two blushes, NYX Powder Blush in Angel and NYC Blushable Creme Stick in Plaza Pink, and I'm already feeling a bit worried at how well I'll be able to focus on using them up without completely ignoring my sizeable blusher stash, but hey - it's supposed to be a challenge!

I'd also like to finally use up my Annabelle Smudge Liner in Rich Chocolate; you can see I already have a small stub left, but I've been trying to finish it for a very long time now. Moreover, I want to see how fast I'll be able to hit pan on Annabelle's Eyeshadow in Vanilla Chilla, which now has a nice dip on the side.
Lastly, two lipsticks: Rimmel Moisture Renew in Soft Coral and NYX Round Lipstick in Tea Rose. With both of these, I quite like the shades but dislike the formula; Soft Coral has significant amounts of gritty silver glitters, while Tea Rose covers the lips unevenly, sinking into vertical lines.

All of the products I selected for my Project Make A Dent are older items from my collection that don't get much love anymore, but should be finished so I can move onto newer, better formulas - I guess the perspective of getting brand new pretties is my carrot in this case. I'm giving myself a full year for this project, and I plan to update you on my progress quaterly. Do you have items in your collection that you'd like to finally use up? Join us in the Project Make A Dent fun so we can cheer each other on!

19 comments:

  1. Project Make a Dent sounds wonderful. On my list right now is a Revlon Concealer I love but has been with me for over 2 years and a Too Faced Bronzer, same story, over 2 years. Love them both but it's time to either repurchase or move one so I'm using them exclusively lately. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I have a Rimmel concealer I've almost finished now, and bronzers are really good items to try and use up since you use them so often! I have a The Body Shop Honey bronzer that definitely has a nice dent!

      Delete
  2. I love this project ... I'd love to use up my NARS Orgasm blush... had it for ages... just not a big fan. I think I'll review my stash this weekend and see where that takes me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had the Orgasm blush, but I had theBalm's Hot Mama! and I gave it away - the heavy gold shimmer just doesn't look right on my skin. Yay for editing the stash!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I read this on Joyce's blog too. I think I need to join you guys. Sounds like fun, and I need the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh doll you're going to have such a hard time making a dent in that NYX blush! If you're anything like me, it takes me YEARS to make a dent in my blushes/bronzers!

    This is such a great project though :)

    x
    Phoebe
    Eat. Live. Love. Repeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... but I'm also really worried about the NYX cream blush, I actually used it quite a bit in the past and it looks brand new! How's that even possible?! -_-

      Delete
  5. I'm not very good at these targeted "use up the things!" projects - too fickle, I guess! My daily tray is sort of a go at it, but it's more for convenience's sake than anything else, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i hope you get through these products and stick with it! i tried something similar but then failed... lol. i found it helpful to put the list in front of my wall where i do my make up every morning and cross off the things i finished. its also a reminder of how much more i have to get through as well!
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really should sign myself up to do this project! I need to make more of a concerted effort to finish up things, or at least "make a dent" in them. But mainly I just need to not bring anything new into the existing collection :p Good luck trying to use up these products as much as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay yay!!! So glad you joined!!! Much more fun with more people :-) When you finish the Bourjois Healthy Mix, what's next on your list? Aaaaaah…that liner…you are SO close!! Let's do this lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yayyyy make a dent!! So happy that you joined. I have this weird fear that my project make a dent is gonna turn into a give half the things away bc i don't feel like using them project. LOL. But anyways it is so awesome that you are so close on the liner and have only 1/3 left on the foundation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the shout-out! I'm so glad that you have joined #projectmakeadent! I love your choices! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean about not wanting to ignore my other blushes. I've been working on my Cargo Tonga for over a year and have put it in my #projectmakeadent pile. Suddenly Tarina Tarantino Feather blush wants to play. It's calling out to me: "BooBooNinja, let's have some fun. I'll make you beautiful. That Cargo Tonga's stuffy and old news. Pick me! Pick me!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always excited finding blogs/youtubers doing these kinds of projects! I'm trying to focus on finishing stuff up myself so these types of posts are always exciting! I will be following your updates! Good luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great idea! I never ever hit pan or finish off anything other than foundations and concealers so this would be such a fun project to take part in :)

    x
    Phoebe
    Eat. Live. Love. Repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My make up collection isn't that big, so I use up stuff faster than a beauty junkie with a bigger collection. There's my MUA Undress me too palette - I've had it for 2 years now and after an almost daily use, there are 9 Hit the Pans out of 12 eye shadows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's amazing, Michelle - I've only hit pan on a few eyeshadows in my life :) You're definitely right that it's harder to use up things when you're constantly switching them out for something else, but even when I didn't use to have this much make-up, I would finish stuff up very slowly; I think that I just use very little compared to some other women :/ I have a small face, lol :)

      Delete