Saturday, February 21, 2015

Color Of the Year: Marsala Inspired Face Of the Day

Well, TWO Faces of Two Days, to be specific. I have to admit that neither of these looks turned out exactly how I imagined them to be in my head, but it's not necessarily a bad thing - you know, sometimes it's fun to enjoy the journey too, not just the destination. But without further ado, here are the looks I created using my Marsala product picks from the previous post:
To get the boring stuff out of the way, the staple products I used in both looks were the same: Dr Brandt Pores No More face primer, Face Atelier Ultra Foundation in Porcelain set with MUFE loose HD Powder, NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly, Annabelle So Foxy brown eyeshadow set with Benefit Gimme Brow Light/Medium through the brows, NARS Pro Prime Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Primer, Tarte Lights, Camera, Flashes mascara in Black, NYX Powder Blush in Taupe to contour.
For the first look, I used the Inglot Eyeshadow Trio with a mustard yellow and rusty brown, and lined my upper and lower waterline with Pixi Endless Silky Eye Pen in CopperGlow. I also smudged some of that red burgundy shade from the Sleek Storm palette under the lower lashline. Lessons learnt while working with red tones on the eyes: you absolutely need to conceal all of undereye purpleness and veins, and defined lashline and lashes to set off all the red are a must as well. On the cheeks, I used Laura Mercier Matte Radiance Highlight and bareMinerals READY blush in The One, because I thought it complimented Bite Beauty High Pigment Lip Pencil in Rhubarb rather nicely. I actually loved Rhubarb the most out of this look - I will definitely be reaching for this shade more often from now on.
The second look was a bit of a fail because I wanted to showcase Fyrinnae eyeshadow in Purgatory. However, it absolutely refused to layer over a black liquid eyeliner I used (actually, that liner - LORAC Front of the Line PRO - also refused to layer over itself... not fun to work with), so I cheated by substituting Purgatory with Chanel Illusion d'Ombre in New Moon, which has microglitters in copper and plum tones. The cheeks are Laura Geller Blush-n-Brighten in Boysenberry and the lips are Maybelline Color Sensational in Plum Perfect.
Tell me, have you been incorporating marsala shades into your make-up routine? Do you prefer to use these earthy red tones on your eyes, cheeks or lips?

12 comments:

  1. I like your fist look I'm estonnished that the Nyx Taupe Blush looks more red and natural than it actually is. I have swatched it on my last shopping trip.
    The second one is wearable too, but I don't like that lipstick. It's a bit tooo warm and too bold.

    What happened to the comments? I'm pretty sure that I have commented your last two posts, but I haven't seen the comments of any one o_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Lila, I was away on a holiday and had no access to moderate comments! They're all up now though :)

      I only used the NYX Taupe to contour towards the back of my cheeks, so maybe some of the red tones you see are from the blush as well? Either way, it works well for a contour on most people, and the pigmentation isn't too crazy, so it's easy to control.

      I rarely wear the Maybelline lippie because I agree that it's pretty clashy on me, but sometimes I'm in the mood for that too :)

      Delete
    2. No problem :) I hope you enjoyed your holidays ^^

      Delete
  2. Both of those lip colors look fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both looks turned out well on you( I guess it really goes with your hair color). I don't think I will actually look for shades like this (the color of the year declaration thing turns me off) in make up, but I don't mind having a pair of brownish red boots...

    ReplyDelete
  4. both looks are insanely gorgeous! The warmer shades really compliment your skin tone! I feel like if marsala had been introduced earlier, which would defeat the point of the whole 'color of the year, I would have been more interested. Right now, all I want is spring and have been channelling that through my makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was the glittery purple eye look on your Instagram part of your channelling the spring? I LOVED it. I'm definitely in the mood for spring colors on my nails but not quite on the face yet! :)

      Delete
  5. That first look is totally my cup of tea! So much even that I want a whole POT of it and drink it! So pretty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i LOVE how the first eye look came out. i think i even have the same trio SCORE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it looks fantastic on your skintone, Jenn! <3 High five!

      Delete
  7. Love the looks, Monika! Specially the lip colours. :)

    ReplyDelete