Saturday, August 29, 2015

Going the Simpler Route: Derma e Overnight Peel with Alpha Hydroxy Acids

It's no secret that I love a good chemical exfoliant; starting with acid toners and pads (here's my overview), through exfoliating serums and even masks (another overview here). But even though I like variety, the abundance of bottles in my medicine cabinet was beginning to feel overwhelming, and I started looking for one product to perform a couple different functions.
I've already worked through all of my deep exfoliating masks, and I'm just about done with both the Dr. Wu Mandelic Acid Serum and a deluxe sample of Clark Botanicals Marine Smoothing Cream, a moisturizer containing lots of glycolic acid. To replace all of those, I purchased the Derma e Overnight Peel with Alpha Hydroxy Acids ($15 for 2 fl oz/ 60ml at Vitacost - my referral link for $10 off $30, also available at Ulta).
For whatever reason, I've never tried anything from Derma e, and for a long time, I would confuse them with another natural brand, Reviva Labs. But even though their aesthetic is a bit similar, they're two separate brands with completely different product lines. What drew me to the Derma e Overnight Peel, on top of the excellent price, was the simplicity of its ingredients: 5% glycolic plus lower concentrations of lactic and malic acids at effective pH level of 3 (according to beautypedia.com) to exfoliate and brighten the skin; glycerin, caprylic triglyceride and jojoba oil to moisturize, vitamin C and green tea for an anti-aging antioxidant boost. No drying alcohol, no scent (dear Beautypedia, the lemon and passionfruit in this product are not 'subtle fragrance' - you guys, do they review actual products over there or just the ingredients' list?!), no parabens for those of you who are sensitive.
The texture of the Overnight Peel is a light lotion that absorbs well into the skin. On top of my Hada Labo Hyaluronic Acid Lotion, it feels a tad sticky on, but since I use this product in my evening skincare routine, I don't really mind. I use one pump for my entire face, and I do experience a bit of a tingle for the first couple minutes, but it's absolutely NOT painful or unbearable, and it subsides quite quickly.

There are two ways I like to use the Overnight Peel: either as a mask I like to leave on for about 15 minutes after exfoliating my face with a gentle manual scrub, or as recommended, as an overnight exfoliant, usually layered with the Hada Labo hydrating lotion underneath or a night-time moisturizer over the top - you could use it alone though, because the formula is nicely moisturizing on its own.

I've been using chemical exfoliants for years now, so I have to say that for a veteran like me, the results from the Derma e Overnight Peel aren't really miraculous or instantaneous, but I do like it. I can definitely see an improvement in the texture of my skin the next day after usage, without any dryness or irritation, which is really important for my reactive, easily dehydrated skin. It doesn't budge any of my blackheads or clogged pores after just one use, but then again, I haven't really found a product which does that - my favorite Dermalogica Gentle Cream Exfoliant would make my pores look smaller, but I think that's more due to its clay-like consistency. After about three weeks of using it once a week, I have noticed that most of the stubborn bumps I've been getting on my forehead recently (I'm guessing they're caused by hot, humid weather and my touching my face too much...) are now completely gone, and that makes me really happy.

I'm enjoying using my bottle of the Overnight Peel with Alpha Hydroxy Acids, but I have a feeling that I'll probably want to try something else once it runs out, as we beauty bloggers tend to do. Have you tried anything from Derma e? What is your current favorite exfoliating treatment?

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I have been thinking about trying this one, since glycolic acid alone doesn't seem to do much for me, and because it got a positive review on Beautypedia. I think I will pick it up when I find a hole in my hoard (don't know when that will be, though!). But a lot of Beautpedia's reviews have seemed iffy to me lately. They seem to be operating like a review factory and not really testing the products they write about. I do wonder if they even handle them all or if, as you suggested, they base them entirely on the ingredients list and packaging - at least with skincare, maybe not makeup. They used to be my go-to source, but now I prefer to combine that with trustworthy bloggers - so I am glad to see this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about finding holes in the hoard - there's just so much stuff to get through :/ I've read that Paula actually has no part in the Beautypedia reviews anymore and that 'her team' handles that - but after reading their review of this particular product, holding it in my hand and trying to sniff if it had even a trace of a scent to it (nope, still nothing), I'm beginning to doubt if they even touch some of the products that they're supposed to be testing. But then, maybe it was just a one-off...

      Delete
  2. I'm semi-curious about this brand and will probably end up trying something from them down the line. But given what I know of your skin preferences and mine by comparison, this probably isn't strong enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They actually have a lot of potentially interesting (good ingredients, very reasonable prices) products in their range, and after trying this Peel, I kind of want to pick up a few more to test out. Lol, Liz, maybe this would work as an everyday moisturizer for you then :P

      Delete
  3. I usually use glycolic acid products at around 5-10%, and I was wondering if this will work for me since its less strength. The ingredient list looks pretty amazing so definitely worth a try. I've had this brand on my radar. Thanks for the link, will definitely purchase through you if I decided to make the jump. BTW, have you tried the glycolic acid toner from Reviva Labs? I live and die by that product. I usually find it for less than $10 at Sprouts (dont know if you have that since Ulta no longer carries it in stores). Its worth a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neo, thanks for mentioning that Reviva Labs Glycolic Acid Toner, I've been contemplating it for the longest time, but have never really seen it reviewed anywhere - so thank you for the recommendation! I don't think we have Sprouts here but I've seen it on Vitacost too :)

      Delete
  4. Hi
    I also use de Derma E Peel and also the Reviva Lab glycolic 5 & 10 %. Today I recieved through Iherb the Alpha hydroxy 14 % serum. I like to use them all eac togheter. 2times a week a heavy duty once, the other days the lichter versions
    Bye

    ReplyDelete