Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Cotton Candy Eyes: Catrice Velvet Matt Eyeshadow in 020 Pink Up Girls

Is anyone else as excited as me that Catrice Cosmetics is now available at Ulta in the US? If you've never heard about Catrice, it's a European brand owned by Cosnova, which is an owner of another very inexpensive drugstore brand with stellar products, Essence. To me, Catrice is like a grown-up version of Essence: prettier packaging, better concepts and even higher quality. I'm really happy that Ulta has been expanding their range of affordable international brands; with Sephora's recent customer service fails, Ulta's definitely gaining an edge.
Anyway, back to Catrice Cosmetics: one of the must-haves in the range have always been eyeshadows, and I've been hearing nothing but raves about the matte formula of their singles, so I obviously needed to pick one up 'for research': this is the Velvet Matt Eyeshadow in 020 Pink Up Girls ($4.99 for 0.12 oz/ 3.5 g, available in 6 shades total; punny names also appreciated).
The Velvet Matts come in their classic clear plastic packaging, which I really like for the clean aesthetic and the ability to easily see the color inside. The only thing with this particular shadow is that it's a tad difficult to open; I'd advise not trying to wedge your nails in the little crack but rather pushing it open with the side of your fingers. The eyeshadow itself is domed; that, coupled with the fact that these are made in Italy, makes me think they may be a baked formula.
The tactile feel of this eyeshadow is really unique: it's so incredibly smooth and silky that it resembles one of those siliconey cream-to-powder products. It's like the epitome of buttery eyeshadow - it feels amazing when you pick it up with your finger. I'd say this is a true matte formula, which is actually not that easy to come by, and that for a lighter shade, the pigmentation is very impressive. It's not chalky, it's not patchy, it doesn't look shrivelled and dry on the eyelids; I do think it's the best matte eyeshadow formula I've come across so far at the drugstore - it can rival my Rouge Bunny Rouge mattes.
The shade Pink Up Girls is a true cool, pastel baby pink. I'm not normally one to opt for a light pink eyeshadow (hence the lack of similar shades in my arm swatches), as it can feel a bit too juvenile and girly for me, but I'm in fact quite happy I got this one, because its white base brightens my veiny eyelids very nicely without having to use any shimmer. Stila's Desire (depotted from the In The Moment palette) is the closest shade in my collection, but as you can see, it's clearly a lot peachier and a bit darker.
 I've used Catrice Pink Up Girls all over the lid in this look on top of clear eyeshadow primer (NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base) so that you could see the level of coverage. Some of my pesky veins are still showing through, but the shade definitely pops even without a colored base - I think that on top of an off-white or ivory base, the color would be even more intensive. I've also tried it on top of a medium shimmery cream eyeshadow (Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze) and the effect was very pretty - like a bronzy pink with a satin sheen, plus the whole look wore like iron for hours on end.
Yep, I have to agree with everyone who's raved about the Velvet Matt eyeshadows from Catrice - they really are an outstanding formula, especially considering the price. Even though I don't really need any more matte eyeshadows in my stash, I'm considering getting a few more just for the pure pleasure of using them. Have you tried any eyeshadows from Catrice? What are your favorite shades?

10 comments:

  1. Wow, this is really beautiful! I've been looking for matte pastel shades for that '60s-esque all-over lid wash, but it's hard to find anything that isn't sheer or patchy. I've never tried Catrice, but I'll take a look next time I'm in an Ulta.

    I've been pretty impressed with Ulta recently, too! I do shop at Sephora, but not enough to have more than, like, 100 points at a time, which never seems to entitle me to any gift I actually want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely have a look at these if you get the chance! The only thing is that not Ulta stores will be caring Catrice right away - there are no Ulta stores close to me anyway, so I end up ordering online.

      Sephora seems to have had quite a few fails recently, while Ulta just gets better and better. I may switch my shopping preferences and start getting more things at Ulta - their point reward system seems a lot better, and they have 20% off deals a couple times a year versus just once a year like Sephora.

      Delete
  2. I have a couple of Catrice shadows that S picked up for me in Germany once. I like them, but I'm not moved to get more, haha. It is nice to see more variety here, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that I simply don't reach for eyeshadows from certain brands in my stash, even though there's nothing wrong with them. I guess we all have our little quirks and preferences :) I think Ulta's really stepping up their game!

      Delete
  3. my blog model has a blush in a similar colour and I find it super brightening! Even though I'm quite a few shades darker, it has a way of perking me up that I love. I don't know that I could carry off a colour like this on the eye, but it's super refreshing-looking on you, if that makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've been thinking about trying this as a blush! It is very light though, not sure if it would show up on me - I'm fair but not sheet white, lol :D Thank you Jenn!

      Delete
  4. I discovered this shadow in my local DBS Beauty Store a couple of weeks ago - a total jaw-drop must-buy event. I've had no luck at all with Catrice's absolute eye color mono eyeshadows (they swatch with my finger like a dream, I take them home in a haze of enthusiasm, where they do not pick up at ALL with a brush. The eyeshadow might as well be an applied decal.) These velvet matte shadows, on the other hand, are everything Monika says and more. 040 Burgundy is also calling my name... (as soon as DBS gets more in. DBS tend not to order more stock until they actually run out, so it's going to be a while.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many people rave about the Mono shadows as well, but when I looked for them back in Poland back in December, they only had maybe five shades in stock and none of them called my name :/ I'm really glad I picked the Velvet Matt instead! The burgundy shade looks amazing, I'm also eyeing the ivory, light grey and the taupey brown. One con I've heard about these is that they're quite prone to breaking, because the formula is so soft.

      Delete
  5. Love dreamy pinks <3 Catrice released a new version of it here in Europe. It's much more ''smokey'', grey toned and brown. Still pretty though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww...this is so pretty. I super love the shade. we have the same complexion and it looks so pretty on you and I think on me too :)

    ReplyDelete