Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Plum Jam: Shiseido Lacquer Gloss in RS306

Even though the leaves in New York are still green and firmly attached to their branches, I think we all know it's time to throw some autumnal shades into the make-up mix. I have actually had this sample of Shiseido Lacquer Gloss in RS306 Plum Wine ($25 for 0.25 oz) in my lipgloss drawer since February, but after trying it once, I decided to relegate it to the fall season - so here it is.
Well, the other reason I decided to put it away is that on that after that one application, I was left feeling somewhat disappointed. Why so, Monika? Did it suck so bad? (Yes, I AM prone to one on one conversations in my head). Nope, not at all. It's just that... it was SO pigmented. After a few years of trial and error, I've established that pigmented lip glosses are definitely a no-go for me: get some of that creamy, gooey, sticky pigment on my lips, and in a couple minutes, it'll be everywhere on my face AND in my hair. Just too anxiety-inducing, you know?
But after wearing Shiseido's Lacquer Gloss a few more times, I'm actually willing to negotiate my stance on pigmented glosses. Somehow, Shiseido's gloss just grips the lips a lot better, and doesn't transfer as easily as my other lipglosses. It does feel a little sticky with a couple hours wear, but I don't mind really, and I think it just goes with the territory of a longer-wearing gloss. In terms of texture, the closest comparison would be the Maybelline Color Elixirs (click here for my review): the formula is smooth and a bit more oil-like than a traditional gloss, there's a beautiful translucency to it, so it seems to cushion the lips without pooling into vertical lip lines. There's just a hint of sweet vanilla scent, nothing noticeable. The product blurb says that these Lacquer Glosses feature 'a three-layer structure that refines lip texture, adheres to the lips with vivid color, and coats the lips with all-day moisture', and it doesn't stray too far from the truth.
RS306 Plum Wine, described on Sephora as a rosy violet, is a pinky plum leaning a bit purple - it almost looks like a blueberries and cream type of shade on my lips (YUM). In the heavy arm swatch, you can see tiny glimmers of magenta, but on the lips, the gloss has a cream finish - I can't detect any shimmers with a naked eye.
L-R (both photos): Shiseido Lacquer Gloss in RS306 (one swipe), YSL Rouge Pur Couture in Rose Stiletto no.9, Lancome Color Design in Wine Party
One downside to this gloss is the applicator (or rather the stopper): I get way too much product on the paddle-shaped doe foot when I pull out the wand, and consequently have to be very careful not too smear the product everywhere or have the gloss migrate towards the edges of my mouth. But, provided that I apply just the right amount, tie my hair back and try to be careful with my meals and drinks (is this gloss asking for too much?), I really like the look and performance of the Lacquer Gloss; it's an easy, non-intimidating way of sporting a deeper plum shade for fall.  
Have you tried any Shiseido lip product? What are your favorite lipglosses for the colder season?

6 comments:

  1. I love pigmented lipsticks and glosses when they have a creamy finish. I like that colour and I don't think that it is tooo pigmented or to dark for everyday use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really like this lipgloss formula, Lila! I agree, the shade isn't too intimidating.

      Delete
  2. mmm yea i know what you mean by too much pigment. i dont wear gloss too often but for super creamy pigmented lipsticks...the colour is just so slippy and gets over my lip lines or into my food when i'm eating (then i eat the lipstick)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just yetsreday I found another old pigmented gloss in my stash and noticed that it had separated. I was like 'Okay, that's it! That's a sign from the universe that I need to toss it!'. So, out it went. But this Shiseido one is really pretty, both in color and texture. I'll try to get some wear out of it, but I'm glad it's just a deluxe mini and not a full size, lol.

      Delete
  3. Totally hear what you're saying re: pigmented lip glosses - they are quite a bit more effort than other lip products, but a benefit of them is the lack of melt factor in the handbag I suppose ;P I love the Maybelline Elixir (especially in warm weather) but the most pigmented shades are too hard to keep on the lips for my liking. This colour reminds me of a gloss form of MAC Plumful, aka stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great combo! Love the gloss and lippie. Both have great colors that really matches your lips. So curious on those and can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete