Thursday, October 1, 2015

Beauty Empties: 3rd Quarter of 2015

Happy October! I haven't actually used up a whole lot of products in the past three months; I feel that this is a lot less than I usually have in my empties bag. But, we all know beauty products tend to get finished in phases, so I'm just guessing there's going to be a lot more in the next quarter.
For body and haircare, I've made a bit of a dent in my stash, and I've tried to make sure I was still using up some of those deluxe samples.
Products I disliked and wouldn't repurchase: Murad Oil-Free Sunscreen SPF30, Aura Cacia Vanilla Essential Oil blend in Jojoba Oil (the scent was too faint), Dolce & Gabbana The One EDP mini (not my kind of fragrance)
Products I enjoyed, but I'm trying out other things: Pacifica Malibu Lemon Blossom Shower Gel (mentioned here; I liked the formula more than the scent but it's a bit pricey to repurchase regularly), Peter Thomas Roth Mega Rich Body Lotion (not that rich, but lovely bergamot scent)
Products I would repurchase (but am probably trying out other things too): Kneipp Pomegranate & Black Currant In-Shower Body Lotion (really a cream cleanser for the body - awesome post-gym), Batiste Dry Shampoo in the Clean and Classic Scent (a repurchase, already repurchased another can but in a different scent to shake things up), Secret Oulast Gel in Completely Clear (favorite antiperspirant I've tried so far!), OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo (fantastic and inexpensive sulfate-free shampoo for fine hair).
Skincare; again, I focused on a lot of my deluxe samples. Some tosses too: the Clarins eye cream with SPF30 was too thick and dry, especially to use on the delicate eye area, and I had no interest in trying this super old sample of the REN Micro Polish cleanser.
Products I disliked and wouldn't repurchase: Caudalie Beauty Elixir (full review here), MyChelle Apple Brightening Cleanser (reviewed here; I'm moving away from foaming face washes), Mario Badescu Drying Cream
Products I enjoyed, but I'm trying out other things: Dermalogica Intensive Eye Repair, Clark's Botanical Smoothing Marine Cream (too pricey for a moisturizer with glycolic acid, but worked very well for me), Dr Wu 18% Mandelic Acid Serum (full review here; replaced with Derma e Overnight Peel and some new exfoliants from Paula's Choice), The Organic Pharmacy Enzyme Peel Mask (reviewed here - again, lovely but very expensive).
Products I would repurchase (but am probably trying out other things too): REN Evercalm Gentle Cleansing Milk (full review here), Rock Rose hydrosol I used as a spray toner, Andalou Naturals 1000 Roses Heavenly Night Cream (reviewed here), Hada White Lady brightening serum.
As an extra, here's a mix of body, hair and skincare from my travel empties I tossed before leaving Tuscany (see how committed I am? Even remembered to take a photo for you). Actually, the product I liked the most out of this line-up was the St. Ives Shea Butter shower gel - in the photo refilled with some vile manly body wash from someone in the family, because we run out. I wasn't a fan of the popular Acure Argan hair line either; I found the shampoo both drying and not cleansing enough.
Make-up! A lot of tossed products that went bad here too. Obviously, a lot of these were my own fault for not using them more while they were still good, but that bareMinerals Buttercream gloss - man, I still can't get over it. Anyway.
Products I disliked and wouldn't repurchase: Urban Decay B6 Vitamin Infused Prep Spray (meh - did nothing for me), Wet n'Wild Mega Liner in Black (pigmented and easy to apply, but tended to run terribly in humid weather), bareMinerals Marvelous Moxie Buttercream Lipgloss in Must Have Pink.
Products I enjoyed, but I'm trying out other things: eos Vanilla Lip Balm (tasted sweet too, but not nourishing enough for me), Fyrinnae Lip Luster in Shangri-La (full review), Miss Sporty concealer pencil, bareMinerals Flawless Definition Mascara (lengthening and non clumpy), fresh Sugar Advanced Therapy Lip Balm (reviewed here).
Products I would repurchase (but am probably trying out other things too): Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in Plum Perfect (featured here; mine started to smell funky. I really like this drugstore lipstick formula and would repurchase but maybe in a different shade).
Lastly, various samples or one (more like two or three) use sachets of sheet masks and bath salts. The one stand-out for perfume was Hermes Voyage d'Hermes, but while I liked it, I didn't love it enough to consider purchasing a full size bottle. I also really enjoyed the SK-II Facial Treatment Mask, reviewed here, and the Kneipp Mineral Bath Salts in the Pure Bliss scent; I'm considering purchasing the full size.
To be honest, I'm starting to feel a bit over my empties post format; it's a lot to take in, even if I just list all the products used, and I think it's quite boring for you guys to read. I also think that rushing through my products in an attempt to fill my empties bag to the brim is not really something I'd like to do anymore. It the past, when I had a lot more products stockpiled in every category, it's worked fine, but now I don't have all those back-ups I'm worried will expire before I use them. I'm simply feeling this need to slow down a little and actually enjoy what I have. I'll probably post one last post in this format for the last quarter of this year, but next year, I may switch to the 'One In, One Out' type of post championed by bloggers such as ttsandra and Reductionista. What do you guys think? Is there any specific format you prefer for the empties posts?

16 comments:

  1. I think you did an amazing job, especially with the makeup!!! To be honest I love reading empties posts, from the simple one-in-one-out to longer formats like this & even longer ones where the blogger gives mini reviews of everything. I find it kind of fascinating to see what people use up in real life & what the repurchases & staples actually are...plus it's really satisfying to see ALL THE EMPTIES! So I guess in that respect that is one thing tiny thing I miss about one-in-one-out...I love seeing all the empty pots & bottles & tubes in one go lol! But I also understand the need for change to keep not only the reader but also (& very importantly) the writer interested!

    Maybe I'm alone, but I tend to think people who read empties posts love to read them, no matter the format. And it's more that the author is the one who gets tired of the format rather than the reader getting tired of it. So do whatever makes you feel good & happy about writing!!! Xo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the awesome feedback, Gummy, there are some really good thoughts! Haha, okay, if I decide to do 'One In, One Out', I'll include a shot of all the empties together just for you - although to be honest, with the quarterly posts not all of my empties fit into one frame, lol :D

      Delete
  2. I agree - I love hearing about repurchases especially!

    And I think these are a TON of empties, wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adele! You know, I'm working on a list of 'Most Repurchased' for a separate post, although I have to admit I don't really repurchase a whole lot of stuff - I tend to go for the new things to try out.

      Delete
  3. I read all your empties posts! I think making your way to the end of a product, especially as bloggers, is quite a feat. But only if it's products you actually enjoy using. If you are using products just to use them, or charging through them for the sake of empties, then it's not as enjoyable. I think that's why I like it when folks add a "toss" it column, that's pretty much a review unto itself! I say keep writing them in whatever format you choose. We will still read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, another great suggestion, Neo! Yes, I think I should separate the tosses from all the used up products, no matter the format I choose; I was just feeling that the posts were already getting long and wanted to spare the readers another paragraph, although I think you're right and it's clearer and easier to follow to have them in their own little pile. Thank you for the kind words!

      Delete
  4. I'm not tired of reading empties posts because I think that's where you get the most honest - if brief - reviews on things! I like your honesty about saying that there are always going to be other products to try, even when you do enjoy a specific product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vita - that means a lot coming from you, you're my personal empties queen, especially when it comes to make-up! Haha, yes, I rarely repurchase the exact same product because there are so many out there to try... Or I already know I have something different as a back-up.

      Delete
  5. Oufz thats a lot! What a pitty that your Maybelline Jade Plum Perfect started to smell :-/
    Well I think its more handy to post your empied stuff monthly. you have tossed and emptied a lot and I am not able to follow for what reasons the products were great or bad. It's up to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lila! I think I used to do it monthly a couple years ago, but first off, I didn't have enough to talk about, but also the interest levels were rather low, maybe because I don't post everyday and it seemed after a while like the empties were dominating the content a little bit. But thanks for the suggestion - I try to include links to my full reviews where possible, but if I don't say anything, then usually I really don't have any specific thoughts about a product, lol.

      Delete
  6. I think empties posts are where the true review is. I mean sure, we use a product for a month or two before reviewing, but whether or not our opinion remains after using it up is another thing. Also, that is IF we actually have that inclination to use it up.
    I also agree with Gummy that no matter what your format is, empties posts are good to read. For me, it's a source of motivation to use up mine, but I also tend to rush to use things up when the end is near. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the One In, One Out format - it's both informative and digestible. Empties videos and posts can sometimes just feel TL;DR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loooooove the Pure Bliss scent! I have the bathing oil and foam and they're like a drug to me. Well, they have poppy and hemp, so they actually are kind of druggy... :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. A shampoo with biotin and collagen? NEED. I wonder if we get this brand here...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really want to try the Kneipp!! My local PCC market will have 25% off body/bath items so I'll stalk for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your empties posts are actually among my favourite to read, and I love the snappy mini reviews of lots of random bits and pieces. I am pleased to hear that you seem more content with your stash (not having back ups so much etc) so even if you are finishing less product now that you have pared back, I still really enjoy reading about them and I actually like your format. You finished so much more than I did this quarter which is a shame, because I'm not content with the size of my stash and have a lot to work through and use before I will be pleased with how large my stash is! Thanks for the inspiration to pare down though x

    ReplyDelete