Monday, May 21, 2012

Review & Swatches: Too Faced Natural Eye Palette

I'm all for bold orangey hues on the lips and even cheeks, but when it comes to eye make-up, I definitely prefer neutral tones: creamy off-whites, natural browns, shimmery metallics, beautiful taupes. Because of my neutral shadow affinity, I'm a bit of a neutral palette collector; I just can't resist the appeal of a well-done everyday palette, like this Too Faced Natural Eye Palette ($34.70 on Apothica.com) I picked up a couple months back.
Too Faced Natural Eye Palette comes in the brand's classic cardboard packaging with a magnetic flap closure and instruction cards. Inside, there are 9 neutral shades divided into three trios for Day, Classic and Fashion looks - not that I ever pay much attention to suggestions like these. The shades have a variety of finishes: Heaven, Velvet Revolver and Sexpresso are matte; Silk Teddy, Push-up and Honey Pot are pearl, Erotica and Cocoa Puff are satin with gold micro shimmer whereas Nude Beach is glitter. The color selection is perfect for both day-time and night-time looks as well as both warm and cool neutral looks.
My definite favorites are the top row, which is perfect for those pin-up/1960's looks and even doing your brows, as well as Silk Teddy and Push-up for everyday lid shades, with either Erotica or Cocoa Puff in the crease. I'd even go as far as to claim that Silk Teddy might rank higher for me than Stila's Kitten in the champagne category!
However, the Too Faced Neutral Eye Palette has one definite drawback for me - Nude Beach. This shade is an absolute mess of gold glitter getting EVERYWHERE, no matter how sticky a base you're using. I cannot even begin to imagine a woman who would like her face to resemble a discoball, which is why I haven't touched Nude Beach since the first time I wore it on my eyes... and cheeks, forehead, nose and chin too.
Below is an example of a day-time smokey eyes using the Neutral Eye Palette, where I used Push-up on the lid with Cocoa Puff on the lashline and in the outer V (please ignore mascara fall-out under my eyes) and a little bit of Heaven in the inner corner. This look, or almost any look created with this palette for that matter, is a perfect companion to a brighter lip, at least in my book. I just love the simplicity of a neutral eye with a bold lip!
While I'm happy to have this palette in my collection, it's by no means unique, so I would hesitate to recommend it to someone who already owns a good number of neutral shades (unless they're eyeshadow-crazy like me). But, for someone who's just starting out, it's a great  high quality neutral palette with a very reasonable pricetag (*cough cough* Urban Decay).
Have you tried Too Faced eyeshadow palettes? What is your favorite neutral palette?

6 comments:

  1. Love the look you created, lady!

    I definitely love to create some colourful eye looks for the blog, but I stick to neutrals when I go out (with the exception of an occasional purple or teal). Like you, I prefer to play up my lips and cheeks instead of my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I love this palette! It's my favorite one from Too Faced and it's my go to palette for a bronze smokey eye!

    www.julianneinjune.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a neutral palette yesterday reviewed on Cafe Makeup that was so pretty - Too Faced Unzipped. It looked better than the UD ones...very tempting! this one looks nice too, but I have so many similar colors...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the original UD Naked palette, but I mostly love customized palettes I made a long time ago with Mac shadows, and more recently with Inglot ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually play up my eyes, but recently I've decided to try it the other way - lips and cheeks. It's interesting and new for me!

    You're gorgeous as always ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been eyeing this palette for awhile. I even have had in my hand about to purchase, but changed my mind. I've read many positive reviews about it and liked some of the looks created with it, but I'm not sold on it. I adore neutral eye colors but I have a gut feeling that I will love only, and end up using, some of the colors. I also don't love the packaging. I don't know how it will hold up over time. I wish I could buy just a few of the colors.

    ReplyDelete