Friday, July 31, 2015

Japanese Skincare Cult Classic: Rohto Hada Labo Gokujyun Hyaluronic Acid Lotion

I realize it's the middle of a hot and humid summer, but for whatever reason, my skin's been getting a lot drier lately - which I guess means I'm now closer to a combination/normal skin type. I am very prone to surface dehydration, and I'd been looking for ways to amp up the water levels in my skin without overhauling my entire skincare routine. Enter Rohto Hada Labo Gokujyun Hyaluronic Acid Lotion Moist ($11- 20 for 5.7 fl. oz/ 170ml on Amazon and drugstore.com), a cult Japanese hydration booster that's somewhere between a toner and a serum.
I ordered mine on Amazon from a US-based seller, and it was delivered within days. The entire packaging label is in Japanese, including the ingredients' list, but Hada Labo has its own American website, so here it is:

Ingredients : Water, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Disodium Succinate, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Hydroxyethycellulose, Methylparaben, PPG-10 Methyl Glucose Ether, Sodium Acetylated Hyaluronate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Succinic Acid
 
In a nutshell, it's a very simple essence with glycerin and three types of hyaluronic acid, a moisture-retaining, barrier-repairing, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory ingredient. Sodium Hyaluronate, which is often used in skincare products, has lower molecular weight than regular hyaluronic acid, making it easier for the skin to asborb - which is also why Hada Labo also uses Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid (non-engineered HA has bigger molecules which don't penetrate the skin as well as hydrolyzed HA) and Sodium Acetylated Hyaluronate (better absorption and water holding capacity).
Hada Labo advises that the Lotion may be used twice a day, alone as a moisturizer or in combination with their other moisturizing skincare (the serum, lotion and cream). I've been using it in place of my hydrating spray toner, or in addition to the toner; so that the order of my basic routine is as follows: cleanser + acid toner/ exfoliating pads + (spray toner) + Hada Labo Gokujyun Lotion + serum + moisturizer/ spf. You'd think that's a lot of layers, and that's right; but I feel that this routine allows me to create something akin to a 'moisture sandwich', without adding in extra bulk via something like a heavy moisturizer - that's especially important in the daytime, when I don't need a greasy film over my face.
The Gokyjyun Lotion is a clear, scent-free liquid that's a little more viscous than water. The bottle has an easy flip top and a small opening that lets you pour exactly the right amount without wasting anything. The amount in the photo is how much I need for my entire face and neck: I pour some into my palm, spread it over two hands and press/pat into the skin. It absorbs quickly, although it doesn't feel like it has disappeared into thin air: there's definitely a layer of moisture left. However, what I like the most about this product is that it seems to make subsequent layers of skincare sink in much better into my skin; it really does feel like it's binding everything together.

Since I started using the Hada Labo Gokujyun Lotion, my skin is not only more hydrated, but also calmer, more even and my fine lines seem a bit plumped up. I think this is the best 'bang for your buck' hydrating products I've ever tried, and it seems that a bottle should last me ages judging from current usage. If you've never tried this lotion, I urge you to give it a try - it's fantastic. Do you use a lotion or essence step in your skincare routine? What is your favorite product with hyaluronic acid?

12 comments:

  1. I do like this product, but I like the essence from the same line even better! It's somewhat thicker (even thicker than my current serum). It's also formulated with HA and has a super skin-soothing, hydrating, comforting effect, even better than the lotion.

    Also:
    Lotion = Asian version of toner = thicker than western toner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know about your experience with their essence - I may try that next! Haha, I know Asian lotions are thicker than western toners, but it confuses me how essence and lotion seem to be used interchangeably, and then sometimes there's a serum added to the mix to confuse things even further ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Monika, thank you so much for the review! Now I need to hunt this down! Essence is an Asian thing that's catching on. I am on the Estee Lauder one (Micro Essence) and I really like it (so much so that I repurchased), but it doesn't seem as thick as this one! Hydrated skin is always happier skin in my book. Glad to hear yours is calmer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sunny, I think you'd really like this one - it's thicker than those water-like essences like the SK-II for example, but I find that it works better for me than that one without adding any heaviness or residue on the skin. And you're right, hydration is key!

      Delete
  4. Glad you like this, Monika! You know this has been my staple product. And yes, seriously, a bottle last a long time, ingredients so simple yet effective. In winter months, I use this right away after cleansing to plump up the skin, even before my acid toners, I found that my acid toners goes in better as well. I sometimes use this, in addition to rose water/water, to mix my own mask with clays, it works perfectly as well.

    You may be interested to know that I am trying out HL line of Moisturizing Cream! I forgot I had this in my stash (my deep, deep skincare stash). Normally, I try to use skincare for at least 3 months before writing a review, but so far I'm quite impressed and the price is very reasonable.

    Yet another thing you may be interested to know, I think Worshipblues did a comparison of this v.s. Hydraluron and she prefers Hada Labo (check her blog for back post) -- I used to be so curious about Hydraluron and tried, to no avail, finding it at local Walgreens, but after reading her review, I am set on HL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I knew you were using it! Just didn't remember if I ever saw you discussing it on your blog - I probably missed it somewhere. Thank you for the advice on how you're using it, I love the idea to mix it with clay, that sounds like a lovely non-drying mask!

      I'll wait for your full review of the Moisturizing Cream to see what you think :) You know, I've heard mixed reviews about Hydraluron, some people saying it's very sticky and not as hydrating as they hoped. I'm glad that I chose the Hada Labo over it, especially that Indeed Labs is quite a bit more expensive for less product. I'll look up Yasumi's review!

      Delete
  5. This is a staple for me, I always have a backup or two on hand. I was curious about this for a long time, then finally bought it after reading what Dain of Ars Aromatica and Kate the Driveller (miss them both!) had to say on it. The formulation is elegant and "clean", it's the kind of product that you can easily incorporate in your routine without worrying that it would interfere with your other products. I moisture-sandwich like you, especially when trying out a new product, because in my experience hydrated skin heals faster. And yes, I found that it somehow helps other products on top of it penetrate better. I use the milk and cream formulas too, topping off with them in the cooler months. The lotion is usually enough for me in the summer under sunscreen. This is a cult beauty product for good reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read Ars Aromatica but I sure do miss Kate :( She had plenty of good skincare recommendations - I'm using the Dr Wu mandelic acid serum she wrote about, and tried the Hada White Lady, and I think both are very good. Thank you for all the tips on how you're using it, I'm sure I'll get around to trying other products from this range. In our hot and humid summer now, I use the lotion, top it off with a serum and then a sunscreen for the daytime - no need for moisturizer so far.

      Delete
  6. I have used this for about 4 years now, thanks to recommendation from my sister. I am about 2 years away from 40 but I still get carded :)

    It also comes in blue (brightening) and red (collagen enriched). I like the regular and red, the blue seems to be thinner in consistency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that's not a convincing recommendation, I don't know what is :) I saw the different versions and also saw the Hyaluronic Acid one comes in a lighter texture for oilier skin types, but that one has alcohol (probably to help it absorb faster).

      Delete
  7. I love these Hada Lobo lotions - the whitening one is also great!
    It is amazing that adding a simple thing like this could make such a positive difference. I'm also excited that Drugstore.com has started carrying the complete range. I'm interested in trying the Hada Labo Tokyo line as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was one of my first forays into anything with hyaluronic acid and it is a good product! Affordable too (here in Asia anyway) but I stopped using it after a while because the patting thing was a little trying LOL But still, no pain no gain as they say eh? Glad you found this, and enjoyed using it

    ReplyDelete