Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Project Use Up Those Freakin' Samples: Favorites & Finale

It's the end of my Project Use Up Those Freakin' Samples! Frankly speaking, I'm not only excited to share my progress and final empties' counts with you, but I'm also stoked to at least temporarily get rid of the little foil packets that have been littering my bedside table, vanity, bathroom sink, shower and medicine cabinet for the past two months.
Anyway, here's my progress update for June!
Deluxe samples: 10
I did just a bit better on my minis this month compared to May, and overall I'm seeing a good progress in minimizing my collection of deluxe samples. Previously, I had them stashed away in at least two different spots, but thanks to my Project, I was able to combine them together in one box for easy access (I shared a photo of it on Instagram, so follow me if you haven't already!).
Foil packets: 39
Yay, that's 10 more than last month! I actually thought I was going to have less this month because I slacked a little at the beginning of June, but I really pulled through at the end. These samples come from a lot of different categories: bodycare, haircare, skincare, even make-up (a couple primers and liquid highlighters). I still have a few stragglers that aren't completely empty yet, so expect to see them in my regular empties round-up.
Purged (expired & not interested in trying): 7
By challenging myself to use my samples, I've also realized that I have been hanging on to samples that are either already expired (farewell, REN Glycolactic Radiance Peel - it's in the deluxe sample group shot by error), I'm not interested in trying, or have tried in the past and disliked (the Eve Lom Rescue Mask is too harsh for my skin as it contains both alcohol and camphor, while the immensely popular GlamGlow Youthmud contains polluting polyethylene microbeads - who knew, right? I only realized after having already used one packet, and I thought the performance was nothing to write home about either).
As for my sample favorites, I haven't really discovered anything absolutely mindblowing that I need to run out and purchase right away (thank God! Like I need any more products...), but I would consider buying the Aesop Parsley Seed Cleansing Masque and the Tata Harper Purifying Cleanser in the future; they're both quite pricey, but still in my budget. While I did really enjoy my sample of the glycolic-heavy Murad Active Radiance Serum, at $90, I consider it to be too expensive for an exfoliating treatment. The belief Peat Miracle Revival Eye Cream was fantastic to wear under concealer during the day, the Maison Martin Margiela REPLICA EDT in Beach Walk smelled lovely but was rather short-lived, and speaking of fragrance, I always enjoy the bergamot-scented Living Proof line; while I wouldn't repurchase Prime Style Extender necessarily, I have my beady eye on the Full Thickening Cream.

Overall, over the course of this 2-month Project, I used up 68 foil sachets, 19 minis, and tossed 6 sachets and 1 deluxe sample: that's 94 altogether. I think that's a lot, and I'm very happy to have these samples out of my posession. You may think that with so many samples gone, I don't have any left in my stash, but that's not the case at all; even though I was able to consolidate my sample organization and free up some space, I still have a lot of samples left to get through. Which is why I've decided to now aim at finishing at least 5 samples a month - that sounds doable, right? In July, this should be especially easy for me, as we're headed out of town for the extended 4th of July weekend and I'm intending to take quite a few sachets with me.

This challenge also made me realize how long it takes to use up certain samples: as an example, most of my deluxe minis of eye cream contain 4-5 ml of product, but then a foil sample of the belief Peat Miracle eye cream contained 4ml as well, and lasted me over 3 weeks. Most haircare samples contain between 7 to 10 ml of product; for a hair oil for example, that can constitute up to 1/3 of the full-size bottle. So if you take into consideration those little samples in your stash, it may turn out that yes, you do have a back-up of a serum/ face mask/ hair styling product waiting to be used before needing to purchase a replacement. I'm intending to try and treat all of my samples as an integral part of my stash from now on, and going back to that eye cream example, while I currently don't own any full-sized eye creams, I will not buy another one before most of my deluxe and foil samples of eye cream are done.

I hope this was interesting and maybe inspired you to reach for your samples on a more regular basis; thanks to Emma and Vita for joining in on the fun on Instagram, you guys are the best! If you're still working on your samples, please tag me with #useupthosefreakinsamples, I'd love to see your progress. Thank you for cheering me on, and stay tuned for my new Project Pan Introduction in a couple days!

13 comments:

  1. Oufz 10 foil packtes more than last month. But your total project was quite sucessful I mean 68 foil sachets and 19 minis Wooow!

    Concerning the size of samples, I think that eye cream and face cream is really efficient. I empty 10 ml of hair care, body lotion or shower gel at once!

    I've reduced my stash of samples to 10 in total! There are only 2 eyeshadows, 3 lipglosses, 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner and 3 parfumes! I won't be able to decline my stash anymore since I need the shampoo / conditioner and one parfume for traveling and my eyeshadows to find a full size back up for them. I think I'm mostly done with emptying samples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it went quite well! Wow, it takes me forever to use up stuff in the shower, so I assume I'm using much less - my husband goes through 1 liter of his body wash than I use up a 200ml bottle of mine :D

      10 samples is amazing! You're right, it's good to keep some on hand for travel; as I was using up my foil packets, I left a few sets of shampoo and conditioner, because they're great when you're going away for a short trip.

      Delete
  2. I want to try the Purifying cleanser too! Its been so hyped that its beyond me to overlook it lol! Great job on the samples Monika! :-)

    TheConscienceFund

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divya, it's a lovely clay cleanser with a lemongrass scent, but judging from the sample, it's not absolutely life-changing - so I'm torn on whether I want to purchase the full size, especially since it is more on the pricey side of the spectrum.

      Delete
  3. woah, you are the queen of the sample packets! I cant believe how you made it through so many. I've come up with a new strategy for managing the sample hoard, unless it's something I truly want to try, I just turn them down when offered - the madness has to stop somehow! How did your skin/face react to the constant change in products?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, thank you Neo! That's a great tip - I've turned down some sample offers recently too, and I'm no longer swayed by gift with purchase offers when I know I'm not super excited to try most of the products in the set. Actually, I think my skin is quite resilient to product changes - I sometimes get redness/ irritation from a product that's too harsh, but I don't really break out from skincare (I think my breakouts are mostly hormone and stress-related).

      Delete
  4. Woo! Good job. I've been quietly working on my samples too but not really keeping track. Maybe I'll IG a small pile. The most helpful thing I discovered was some deluxe-sized bottles with pumps that either contained nothing or had malfunctioning pumps! Had I taken those on a trip, I would have been screwed. (And obviously would have had to go out and buy full-sized products from the nearest store. ;O )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please share some of your empties on Insta! Hahah, luckily I haven't had any minis with broken pumps, although like I said in the post, when I opened a few products this month, it turned out the consistency has changed and they were no longer usable. Traveling with samples can be a bit of a risky business...

      Delete
    2. Sometimes I think they're sealed so tightly that they're worth keeping anyway but it's probably a good idea to purge the sample pile at least once a year! I wish I were organized enough to write dates on them.

      Delete
    3. sometimes i wonder if the product in those deluxe thingies just like... evaporates? bc it's not sealed properly? LOL. bc mostly it makes me sad to think nothing made it in there in the first place??

      anyway, nice job on the samples Monika! I hardly made a dent in mine, though i tried some and liked a whole lot! :)

      Delete
  5. I am eyeing on that belief Peat Miracle Revival Eye Cream. It seems like a good one. I am kinda having problems with my under eye skin lately for I haven't slept enough these past few days. I think this is the answer....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's to using up those freakin' samples!! That must have felt so awesome to have all those samples used up & out of your way. I like your idea of having samples as integral part of the stash, you are so right, some samples take a long time to use up! I have this hair oil that is just maybe a few mL, but it takes only a couple of drops to use and it is still here a few months (almost a year?? yikes!) later. Ditto with eye cream -- great idea to actually get those as samples to "avoid" purchasing full-size item (I don't use eye cream but every now and then I do for when I need it under concealer). YAY to you Monika!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh thanks for the shout out Monika - I loved seeing all that Vita posted up there too, she is the queen of empties and with a total of 94 in this challenge it would seem that you are too! I thought I was doing well but I am definitely not burning through the samples fast enough...this was the kick in the backside I needed to get a move on with it!

    ReplyDelete