I know I may have a bit of a lip balm obsession, but my lips get really dry in the dead of winter, and I bet yours do too...
1. Badger Creamy Cocoa Lip Balm: a deliciously thick, certified organic and fair trade balm featuring cocoa butter, extra virgin olive oil and seabuckthorn berry extract among its ingredients.
2. Burt's Bees Replenishing Lip Balm: 100% natural (Natural Products Association certified) and cruelty-free balm with sunflower oil, beeswax and pomegranate oil.
3. Sweet Beauty Organic Chocolate Lip Confections in Mojito: all natural, preservative-free balm with sweet almond oil, lime oil and organic extra virgin coconut oil
4. ChapStick 100% Naturals Lip Butter with 5 natural butters, such as cocoa, mango and raspberry butter
5. EOS (Evolution of Smooth) Smooth Sphere Lip Balm in Summer Berry: innovatively-shaped, 100% natural, 95% organic balm containing olive oil, shea butter and blueberry extract.
I have been using these 5 natural/organic lipbalms (click here to read about the difference between natural and organic skincare) for a good couple of months and have some definitive favorites. Despite the fact that the key ingredients in all five are quite similar, these do not perform in the same way. All natural lip balms I have tried so far have quite a hard, waxy texture which melts onto your lips thanks to your body temperature. They don't have much of a taste, but come in a variety of scents obtained by adding some natural extracts/essential oils to the product.
My criteria for choosing the best of these five were as follows:
- lasting hydration
- pleasant scent
- no flavor
- ease of use
While some of the balms featured tick some of these boxes, only one fulfills all criteria. And the winner is...
Badger Creamy Cocoa Lip Balm. This is the only one out of the bunch that I reach for most often and will definitely repurchase. If you have problems with dry, chapped lips I strongly recommend you check this guy out. It lasts all night on my lips, and can also be used on other parts of the body; it works a treat for soothing the eczema on my hands.
What is your Holy Grail lip balm?