Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A Month in Nail Polish: November & December

Merry Christmas Eve to all of you, my dears! As an intermission to all your festive preparations, I have some nail p0rn for you. November & December were another two months of nail care laziness chez Rocaille Writes; I think the fact that nail polish wears so well on my nails is both a blessing and a curse, as I get to be rather forgetful about my manicures without having to endure terrible chips and broken nails.
Turn It Around is the first Rescue Beauty Lounge nail polish I've ever tried, and I was quite smitten with this khaki green full of fiery copper flecks; it rather reminded me of turning leaves and thus was a perfect fall nail shade. This is two coats but I think the color would benefit from three; again, I'm too lazy for that. It wore well for at least a week without any chips and just minor tip wear.
At Halloween, I took advantage of Zoya's promo and bought 2 polishes for the price of one with free shipping. I chose Payton (pictured) and Mosheen (swatches to come) from their new Winter collection. Zoya Payton is a gorgeous deep grape jelly with holographic glitter. This is two coats again; sorry for the uneven ring around my cuticles, but I think my bottle of Essie top coat has a tendency to shrink now.
December brought with it some obligatory holiday parties, and I decided to go all out red sparkles with Orly Star Spangled, pretty much an identical dupe to China Glaze Ruby Slippers. To shake things up a bit, I've kept my nails longer, and accented my ring finger with China Glaze Mrs. Claus silver and pink glitter topper. I couldn't stop staring at my shimmery ruby talons!
For my flight back home, I settled on a slightly more neutral, but nonetheless festive manicure with OPI Don't Burst My Bubble pale pink jelly for the base color, topped with OPI Ski Slope Sweetie opalescent pale white gold. The latter is a very difficult polish to capture on camera (which is why you get two photos in slightly different lighting), and it can also look very different on top of various shades, but I wanted the softness of pale pink underneath to compliment the shifting colors of gold, orange, fuschia and lime shimmers.
I like travelling with more neutral colors on my nails, because even though it's now been one week since the application, there are absolutely no chips and you can barely see any tip wear! Speaking of travels, thank you all kindly for your good wishes; I got home safely but not without some delays at the airport - New York was so snowy on the day of my departure! But I'm here, properly spoilt with delicious food and comfy blankets by my parents, and happily snapping away on my camera so that I'd be able to bring a little piece of Poland to you as well, as requested. Sending lots of love your way, and... Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. The Zoya shade is stunning, so vampy and glittery - beautiful! Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you as well! I love the last manicure (even though I almost never ever do white/pastel), it's so magical and interesting!

    ReplyDelete