Thursday, December 5, 2013

Tag: 5 Product Face

I was tagged by the awesome Seattleite (not satellite, mind you) blogging friend Larie from Eye Heart It to do a full make-up face with only five products, and since I haven't done any tag posts in donkey's years, I decided to go for it!
I particularly like this tag because not only does it show everyone's bare make-up necessities, but it also forces you to really get the most out of your products by multitasking as much as possible. For me in particular, the 5 product limit also means being very strategic towards my base; I don't have perfect skin by any means so skimping on coverage is absolutely out of the question - on normal non-tag days, doing just my base takes at least 4 products. Can you see the difficulty?
But, well, sacrifices must be made in times of desperate need (or, blogging frenzy): the Graftobian Hi-Def Glamour Creme, due to its opacity and denser formula, can be used as both foundation and concealer. For the foundation part, I tried to sheer it out as much as possible with a very damp make-up sponge, and for the concealer, I dabbed with a blending brush on any offending spots and under the eyes. I decided to use Rouge Bunny Rouge Unforgettable Oriole eyeshadow on the eyes to brighten and disguise veins, and I dusted some on top of the cheekbones and Cupid's bow for a good measure as well. I also couldn't skip doing my brows with the trusty ybf Universal Brow Pencil, which also doubled as an eyeliner on my upper lashline. I then applied copious amounts of mascara (Guerlain Cils d'Enfer Maxi Lash... no wonder they refrained from literal translation from French - Lashes From Hell, anyone?); I feel that any minimal make-up attempts warrant liberal use of black mascara. I finished off my face with theBalm Stainiac in Beauty Queen on lips and cheeks.
Some notes on the look: a minimal eye + berry hues read very porcelain doll on me; not necessarily a bad thing but I would say the Stainiac was a bit too sweet-looking for my liking, so I would play some more with other coordinating lip/cheek shades next time. The Graftobian Creme foundation unfortunately looked quite cakey under my eyes and a touch too shiny on the rest of the face, but hey - I do normally use a separate under eye concealer and set my face with powder. But overall, I thought this wasn't too bad for a first attempt. It's also worth observing that while this look might be minimal in products, it's not necessarily quicker than a more elaborate routine.

What would your 5 Product Face look like? Do the tag or let me know in the comments, please!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, you really multitasked! I dont know if I could do a 5 product face... maybe just concealer, setting powder, lip and cheek stain, eyeliner and mascara? Okay so it's not impossible, although I definitely use more products even on a daily basis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all do! Well, maybe not my mum... I'm pretty sure 5 products would be a lot of make-up for her :)

      Delete
  2. Great job, Monika! I did the tag too but failed by ending up using 6 products (in my defense no cheek/lip thing I've tried looks remotely good on my lips)! Unforgettable Oriole looks great on its own as a light wash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I have to take a peek at your look! Have you tried using lipsticks as cream blushes? I think maybe next time I could experiment with that; theBalm lip/cheek stain wasn't very kind to my lips either.

      Delete
  3. Awesome, Monika! It is a very angelic look :D I really like that eye shadow on you, though! So glowy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the residual permy wavy hair doesn't help either... or the fact that I'm so white ;P Thank you, dear, and thanks for tagging me!

      Delete
  4. i am lazy so my general faces are 3-5 products. or like 2 if i've snoozed too much. or maybe more realistically like ZERO. lol. anyway you look great here!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you did really well for a five product face! I love theBalm's Stainiac for multitasking too :) Honestly I'm not sure what I would pick if I only had five products.... Concealer, powder, eyebrow pencil, lip/cheek stain and eyeliner perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look gorgeous, Monika :-) Not everyone can do the porcelain doll look and I agree with Larie. Very angelic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you look really pretty in this look! Everything looks quite natural on you! I love it!

    ReplyDelete