Friday, June 27, 2014

Cult Classics: Beauté Liqui-Gel Stain in Flouron

Beauté's Liqui-Gel Stains are one of these products that were hyped up through the roof a couple years ago, and then they kind of mysteriously disappeared from the beauty scene, never to be mentioned again. Which is probably why, when I enthusiastically grabbed the neon orange tube of Flouron at a sample sale, a friend I was with probably thought I was mentally unstable - and my excited cries of 'No, no, but it swatches differently!' were met with a somewhat puzzled stare and a shrug.
But yeah, I really don't know why nobody talks about these anymore, because the Beauté Liqui-Gel Stain for Cheeks & Lips in Flouron ($29 for 3g) is pure awesome. 'A uniquely textured highly pigmented liquid/gel hybrid, The Liqui-Gel Stain for Cheeks and Lips allows for perfect blendability before setting and lasting hours. Easily buildable the Liqui-Gel Stain allows the sheerest whisper of color or a nearly opaque flush to either cheeks or lips' (description from the brand's website). Beauté (not to be confused with Le Metier de Beauté!), a niche Canadian make-up brand, is admittedly not the easiest to get hold of in the US, but it can be purchased via the brand's website or online at Urban Outfitters - and while you're there, check out their fantastic Korean beauty section!
Back to the product: packaged in a simple, hefty plastic tube with a doe foot applicator, Beauté's Liqui-Gel formula doesn't look any different than a regular lip & cheek stain. The consistency though is a pretty spot-on mix of liquid and gel - thicker than fluid The Body Shop's Lip & Cheek Stain, but thinner than jelly theBalm's Stainiac Hint of Tint For Cheeks and Lips. Beauté's stain has a bit of an old-school make-up smell to it, but once it sets on the lips, there's no lingering scent or taste.
The shade Flouron, which appears to be a highlighter orange shade in the tube, actually swatches as a beautifully neon pinky coral, and as it dries down, sets to an even pinkier hue on my cool-toned lips. The formula gives plenty of time to evenly distribute the product on the lips before it sets, and the Liqui-Gel doesn't sink into vertical lip lines or exaggerate dry patches - a feat virtually unheard of for a lip stain. The creamy liquid does set to a matte finish, but it remains comfortable on the lips, and wears like iron. While I can't say the stain actively moisturizes my lips, it doesn't really dry them out either. On the cheeks, it applies equally easily (although go easy on the amount of product, it's bright!) and gives a pretty, fresh flush of color.
Compared to other bright coral/ warm pink lip shades in my collection, the Beauté's Flouron is definitely the most vibrant. The neon orange bullet of Giorgio Armani's Rouge d'Armani Sheers in 301 swatches as a more muted and truer orange shade, while both L'Oreal Colour Caresse lipstick in Blushing Sequin and Covergirl Jumbo Gloss Balm in Watermelon Twist are pinkier and cooler. I have a pretty large collection of bright warm pinks, but nothing comes close to Flouron! For a glossier finish, it pairs great with Essence Stay With Me Long Lasting Lipgloss in Candy Bar.
L-R: Beauté Liqui-Gel Stain in Fluoron, Giorgio Armani Rouge d'Armani Sheers in Coral 301, L'Oreal Colour Caresse in Blushing Sequin, Covergirl Jumbo Bloss Balm in Watermelon Twist
I'm pretty smitten with this Liqui-Gel Stain; I haven't tried that many stain formulas (since usually they're terribly drying on my lips) but the Beauté's version might just be my favorite so far. It's a must-have product for long, lazy summer days: feels lightweight and non-sticky, stays put, and the shade looks stunning on both fair and sunkissed skin.  

Do you reach for lip & cheek stains more often in the summer? What are your favorite formulas?

13 comments:

  1. PRETTY!!! I don't know why I don't have one of these since I can get it pretty easily! I think it's because their products are a little $$$. But wow! I love stains that are not too drying, so I will get one for sure now! Love this shade on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get it, Trakee - it looks great on the cheeks too, you blush fiend you!!!

      Delete
  2. ive actually never heard of these! but the shade is awesome on you. i guess the downside of this is you have to know how it will set before you pick up a shade. 'cause what if someone actually wanted orange lips and they got pinkl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, it's a bit confusing - although the product shots on their website make Flouron look more like the actual swatch. They also have an orange shade called Neon I think!

      Delete
  3. I did not know about this brand or the stain, either!
    The color looks so gorgeous.
    Funny UO carries many fun beauty stuff. Korean makeup, too? LOL
    I have a L'Oreal Blushing Sequin lipstick, too. It is a nice color reference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW GORGEOUS IS THAT?!?!?! I am seriously in love with that color! In the tube and on your lips! NEED!!

    www.lilting-grace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this either. I just LOLed for real at the "No, no, it swatches differently!" part. Still laughing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. this shade is fluorescent!! I think a friend sent me a few lip glosses from them and I vaguely remembered they swatch differently than in the tube!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've ever seen this brand or maybe I just never noticed it. The formula sounds great so if I see them I'll probably try one. This color looks great on you, I would probably go for something a little tamer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh loving all the swatches <3 You look super pretty in that last pic, that lip color is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO pretty! And such a chameleon of a shade ;). It looks so different in the tube, but i love what it translates into, on the lips! Also digging the "Blushing Sequin" swatch-looks like a very easy wear color!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No way!! I can't believe that Beauté is Canadian and I didn't even know. And the COLOUR in this one -- I was so sure that it would be orange, but it's so fluorescent and pink and gorgeous! :o :o

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look super pretty! Never knew that they look pretty. I just heard about them but didn't get the chance to see them personally. Will check on this.

    ReplyDelete