Thursday, September 30, 2010

September Favorites

September has been a very fall-oriented month here on Rocaille Writes; have you noticed how many times the word 'fall' appeared in the posts' titles? However, when it comes to actually following the autumnal trends in practice, I haven't been too diligent. In fact, this month I've hardly been wearing any make-up at all and also refrained from make-up shopping; my birthday giftcard for Sephora is still laying unused... Shocking, no?

Still, there have been some titbits that reached the 'favorite' status:


1. Wet'n'Wild Sweet As Candy eyeshadow trio
Yes, high-end make-up excites me far more than drugstore thrills. Nevertheless, I do believe you can find fantastic gems among rolls of bathroom tissue and bottles of laundry detergent, so to speak, and one of them is certainly this little beauty. The colors seem a little blah in the pan but they go on smoothly and vividly, creating a great everyday eye set for those who are pressed for time in the mornings, or, as in my case, gals who often find themselves pondering which eyeshadows to take for a weekend hiking trip.


2. Lush Sweet Lips vegan lip scrub
You're right, this is essentialy sugar and flavoring. So what? Not that I could make such a glamorous chocolatey concotion in my own kitchen. I find this lip scrub especially essential now that the dark lips are in; there's nothing worse than chapped, flaky mouth smeared in a dark lipstick (well, at least in my world). I wish it had a tiny bit more jojoba oil in it though, as I tend to get a lot of fall down when using it.


3. Badger Organic Fair Trade Creamy Cocoa lip balm
Now that your lips are smooth and soft, it's time to moisturize and protect that perfect pout. I've tried a lot of different lip balms over the years and for now, this is the winner. It smells faintly of cocoa, very similar to Lush Therapy massage bar, and has no taste. The big tube makes application a matter of seconds and I like 'Badger the Magician' packaging design. However, as with most organic moisturizers, it's quite sensitive to temperature change, so carrying it around in your pocket might not be the best idea.


4. Lush Figs and Leaves soap
I like the sweet, floral scent of this soap, so subtle and feminine. However, if you intend on rubbing the bar all over your body, there's nothing subtle about it: the fig seeds in it act as a very abrasive exfoliant which I find too harsh for my skin. I just put some on my loofah and enjoy the creamy lather and luxurious feel of the product without the pain.


5. Bass Bamboo comb
I bought it on an impulse in Whole Foods, hoping that it'd help me solve my biggest hair woe: tangly hair. I find it ridiculous that for someone with such an oily skin as mine, my ends get so unbelievably dry and impossible to brush through. This sustainable comb detangles my mane effectively without ripping and breaking a handful of hairs as is the case with detangling brushes. Success!


6. TRESemme 24 Hour Body Root Boosting Spray
I have big faith in TRESemme styling products, and this is no exception. I spray this into sections of my hair at the crown, massage it in, blow dry head down and voila, voluminous and bouncy do. It doesn't hurt that it also smells amazing of exotic fruit and flowers and comes with a very reasonable price tag.


7. MAC Vex eyeshadow (Frost)
All of you girls who recommended this shade to me, you were so, so right. This unique silver with pink and green duochrome is one of the best neutral eyeshadows in my collection. Easy to pair with other shades, smooth, understated and elegant, this has already become an everyday staple. If you don't have this, you need it in your life!

What are your favorite beauty products this month?

9 comments:

  1. I'm with you on so many of these... you know how much I adore Vex. And Figs & Leaves is yummy too! Wait until you try the xmas LE lip scrub from Lush, it is to die for!! Tastes like lemon sherbet and it's much easier to use than the perm ones, not so chunky so less fall down.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO agree about Vex, it's beautiful.And that Lush soap is on my list when I finish the 3 that I am using right now x

    ReplyDelete
  3. @loveaudrey: Oooh, that new lip scrub sounds amazing! I have to hurry up and use up the one I have then :) Vex purchase was mostly inspired by you! xxx

    @Marina: Hahah, I know what you mean, I want to try some other Lush soaps but have to finish what I have first :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cocoa lipbalm looks lovely! I swear by natural/organic lipbalms (=

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Gaby: I love organic lip balms too, especially that you often end up eating a bit of the product from your lips - better go with a safer option! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to try Vex now!!! I love anything duochrome! I also recently picked up that Lip Scrub and I love it too! Sometimes its just so much easier to pick up the tub and apply than to mix the ingredients in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kajal Couture: Vex is amazing, you'll love it! The tub is so handy, plus I don't think it'd be that easy to replicate the flavour! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've never tried that lush sugar scrub but they always smell so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Helen: So true, Lush stuff smells so amazing! xxx

    ReplyDelete