Saturday, November 20, 2010

Top 7 Lipsticks for Winter

... that is, 7 until I find some more shades I love! I'm a 100% lipstick girl, glosses just don't do that for me even though I'm prone to dry, chapped lips, especially in the wintertime. However, I find the following formulations (and shades, of course!) comfortable enough even in the colder weather. Let's get right to it!


For reference, my skin is very pale with a pink undertone (think MAC NW 15) and my lips are quite pigmented naturally. All of the products were applied straight from the bullet on previously moisturized lips. These are in the order of shade intensity, starting with the lightest, sheerest tints up to darker, more vampish colors.


1. Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey ($14)
This sheer brownish red is my current make-up bag favorite. More of a tinted lipbalm than a lipstick, this formula glides on the lips leaving them soft and moisturized but doesn't last long on the lips.


2. Palladio Herbal Tinted Lip Balm in Rosey ($4)
This soft rosey pink lip balm gives the Clinique's equivalent a serious run for their money. Firstly, it's actually more pigmented than Clinique's 'lipstick', and secondly I find it more moisturizing. It sports an impressive ingredients list too, including coconut oil glicerides, shea butter and herbal extracts. And... is still there after a 40 minute treadmill workout with frequent sips of water!


3. Wet'n'Wild Mega Last Lip Color in Wine Room ($1.99)
This is opaque yellow-based pink is definitely the most long lasting and the most drying formulations of the ones I've chosen. It's also more of a matte finish than the others, which undoubtedly contributes to its longevity. It's not a neutral shade, but still very appropriate for day time and not too bold.


4. MAC Frost Lipstick in Viva Glam IV ($14.50)
I bought this deep blue-toned pink last winter and still love it. It is the most berry-toned of the bunch and the only one containing shimmer. I don't find it chunky though, I am quite fond of MAC's Frost finish which is quite subtle and not gritty at all. Plus, I just love the vanilla scent...


5. Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in True Vintage ($5.29 at Walgreens)
How long have I sought thou! This lovely pink-based wine color just called my name, though it most definitely doesn't stay on your lips for 8 hours as the producer claims. It's a very good starter darker shade for very pale complexions; it makes a statement, but won't make you a centre of attention.


6. Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in Plum Perfect ($7.49)
Very similar to Rimmel's True Vintage, but a touch more red/brown toned. The coconutty scent and soft formulation are just lovely, but I can't really justify the 2 bucks price difference compared to Rimmel's formula. A bit pricey for a drugstore product, but still worth getting if you can find it on sale.


7. Sleek Makeup True Colour Lipstick in Cherry (~$7)
A gorgeous, opaque blue-based cherry red I wore last Christmas. This shade definitely turns heads and while a bit much for everyday, it's absolutely amazing for a night out. As you can see from the swatch, you do need at least a lip brush if not a matching lip pencil to apply it evenly, but the result is well worth it.

What are your favorite winter lip shades? x

12 comments:

  1. Lovely post! I've wanted that Clinique Black Honey since I saw it about 4 years ago or so in a magazine, and you're not helping :P I've not tried Sleek lipsticks yet, and now I really, really need to. So impressed with that last picture - it looks beautifully pigmented :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been really undecided about Clinique lippies. I've swatched them to no end but never purchased. Will need to have a look at Black Honey, it looks fantastic on you! I wonder if it'd be possible to build the colour up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, hun! I love dark shades myself right now. Not sure about my favourite but I really like No Competition by Benefit so far ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I really loved the last two! Very sensual and perfect for the winter fashion :)

    I've just made a post with a discount code for US and Canada Readers, so feel free to visit:

    http://lafleur-de-lis.blogspot.com/2010/11/us-canada-ladies.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. clinique black honey brings back so many memories! awww, i love that lipstick.

    but the sleek shade is so lovely--i can see why it turns heads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Cami: I like Black Honey a lot, but I'm pretty sure it'd be possible to find a cheaper dupe... It's basically 14 bucks for a tinted lip balm ;) A lovely lip balm, I hasten to add. Definitely try Sleek's lipsticks, I'm very impressed!

    @ChrissyDee: You can build it up to a certain degree, but not a full opaqueness - it's meant to be quite sheer, I guess. Hope that helps!

    @Marina: I looove dark lips too, but they mostly do need a lip brush to apply, especially judging from my pics... Well, you live you learn!

    @Fleur-de-Lis: Thanks hun, I'll make sure to check it out!

    @fantastic: It's a classic, isn't it? Why oh why isn't Sleek available in the US...

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are all fantastic, I honestly wouldn't know which one to choose... :s
    thanks for sharing!!

    xxxxx

    lifeisroyalty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous :)))

    Love
    minnja

    http://minnja.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. definitely the last one - i'm a sucker for dark lips :) plus they look like the holidays! fab post - i'm loving your blog!!

    visit/follow me

    http://dressedupallligators.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Emilie: Glad you like it!

    @Diana: Cherry is everyone's favorite so far :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post, especially helpful for a non-make up person like me! Thank you for the positive review on Clinique's Black Honey, you made me want to try it! Hopefully it will look good on my yellowbase skin tone and not stand out too much without a full make up. :)

    ReplyDelete