Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Battle of Natural Lip Balms

I know I may have a bit of a lip balm obsession, but my lips get really dry in the dead of winter, and I bet yours do too...

Today's contestants:


1. Badger Creamy Cocoa Lip Balm: a deliciously thick, certified organic and fair trade balm featuring cocoa butter, extra virgin olive oil and seabuckthorn berry extract among its ingredients.
2. Burt's Bees Replenishing Lip Balm: 100% natural (Natural Products Association certified) and cruelty-free balm with sunflower oil, beeswax and pomegranate oil.
3. Sweet Beauty Organic Chocolate Lip Confections in Mojito: all natural, preservative-free balm with sweet almond oil, lime oil and organic extra virgin coconut oil
4. ChapStick 100% Naturals Lip Butter with 5 natural butters, such as cocoa, mango and raspberry butter
5. EOS (Evolution of Smooth) Smooth Sphere Lip Balm in Summer Berry: innovatively-shaped, 100% natural, 95% organic balm containing olive oil, shea butter and blueberry extract.

My thoughts:
I have been using these 5 natural/organic lipbalms (click here to read about the difference between natural and organic skincare) for a good couple of months and have some definitive favorites. Despite the fact that the key ingredients in all five are quite similar, these do not perform in the same way. All natural lip balms I have tried so far have quite a hard, waxy texture which melts onto your lips thanks to your body temperature. They don't have much of a taste, but come in a variety of scents obtained by adding some natural extracts/essential oils to the product.
My criteria for choosing the best of these five were as follows:
- lasting hydration
- protection
- pleasant scent
- no flavor
- ease of use

While some of the balms featured tick some of these boxes, only one fulfills all criteria. And the winner is...


Badger Creamy Cocoa Lip Balm. This is the only one out of the bunch that I reach for most often and will definitely repurchase. If you have problems with dry, chapped lips I strongly recommend you check this guy out. It lasts all night on my lips, and can also be used on other parts of the body; it works a treat for soothing the eczema on my hands.

What is your Holy Grail lip balm?

11 comments:

  1. Ive tried 4 out of the 5 and prefer the burts bees pomegranite.. but only just. I prefer the flavour!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's just preference, because I really don't like the flavor of the pomegranate line from Burt's Bees! Otherwise it's not bad either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not tried any of them, thanks for your feedback :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore natural and organic lip balms, because even if most of the balm ends up licked off the lips, it still won't do me any harm! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah ha, I might just have to stock up on the badger lip balms :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you'll like them! They have different scents too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm using the burts bees one right now :P
    Does your favorite one have a strong coconut smell? :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, not at all. It smells faintly of essential oils, but that's it; in fact, it doesn't have much of a scent at all. Hope that helps! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Burt's and EOS.:D

    ***** Marie *****
    allthingsmarie.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Badger Creamy Cocoa Lip Balm - I'm a lip balm junkie, and I love Badger lip balms. I bought this because I couldn't resist and wanted a rich nighttime lip balm. I was surprised at the larger-than-usual size of the tube, making me feel less guilty for spending what I spent on it. It has all-natural ingredients which is great. I thought it would have a more cocoa butter taste (like coconut/vanilla), but it actually does taste like chocolate but not in that cheap way as mentioned in another review. It tastes GOOD, glides on with ease and you don't need a million swipes to feel it--just one or two. I wake with deliciously healed and soft lips. I will be using this forever now, along with my other Badger lip balm. Great product. Great value.

    Welcome to my blog at: http://blog.soliditytrade.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't tried any of these.. But my HG lip balm is Nuxe Lip Balm.. it's amazing.. Read my review on it if you're interested to know more about it..
    http://delytefulspeaks.blogspot.com/2011/02/nuxe-reve-de-miel-baume-levreslip-balm.html

    awesome post ;)

    ReplyDelete