Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Review: Milani HD Advanced Lip Color in Sweet Grape

Just some quick thoughts today about this Milani HD Advanced Lip Color in Sweet Grape which I picked up in my Milani Cyber Monday Haul a while back. I was quite hesitant about posting this, simply because... I'm really not sure what to make of this product.


The brand says 'Milani introduces 3-in-1 lip color that nourishes, hydrates, and delivers a sheer wash of color with clarity and perfect radiant shine. It instantly comforts dry, chapped lips, and provides long-term moisturization.'. This type of tinted balm seems to be the bee's knees these days, with Revlon, L'Oreal and many other brands releasing their versions of the same concept, which I'm quite happy about, since I'm not a huge lip gloss wearer but like a bit of shine and transparent color to my lips.

The Milani HD Advanced Lip Color comes in a sleek tube with a twist-up, clickety-click mechanism. The formula has just the right amount of color to it (sheer but not invisible, and buildable), doesn't slip around too much and isn't overly glossy, and is also quite heavily fruit scented. It feels non-drying on the lips, but I wouldn't say it 'comforts chapped lips'; if your lips are chapped, the shimmery shades in particular will emphasize those dreadful flakies.

I think my biggest issue with this product is actually the shade I picked up. I loved the concept of a wearable purple, but I'm not sure Sweet Grape is all that, at least on me. It's a very cool, almost lavender purple infused with lots of golden shimmer that sits comfortably on the lips. The problem is, with my pale cool coloring, this looks too much like I've been outdoor for a very long time in extreme cold, or swimming in a mountain river, or snowboarding in a hail storm, or whatever. It just looks COLD. And the gold sparkle doesn't help.

I will revisit this shade when the weather gets warmer around here and I start using more bronzer again; for now, I've relegated it to the back of my drawer. Have you tried these Milani HD Lip Colors? What is your favorite brand of those tinted lip balm kind of products?

6 comments:

  1. Great review! we dont have these in Ireland! Looks bit like the Dior Treatment lipcolor to me... I personally love the guerlain kiss kiss essence de gloss, its so expensive, but so worth it.. its always my special treat! Greets from Dublin! xxx Marina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the packaging resembles the Dior very closely! I shall look into the Guerlain ones, thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  2. Hm, I think it's true - perhaps bronzer would help! I love these purply colors on lips, too, but I find myself with the same problem sometimes. It's still gorgeous on you, my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks totally pink, i wouldn't have thought that would be the color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe because of my coloring it pulls more pink, plus it's the lighting... Either way, a bit too lavender for the winter!

      Delete
  4. omigaud, I wanted this shade sooo bad back when cyber monday hit.

    ReplyDelete