Friday, February 3, 2012

Shopping My Stash, Pretty Boxes and a Tea Party

I cannot believe it; the sun actually came out today for an hour or two and I had the unique opportunity to take some blog photos without digging out my light box! So now for something completely different... I just wanted to quickly show you how I've been trying to shop my make-up stash recently, maybe that'll be somewhat inspiring? If not, there are pretty boxes to look at further down and also some Valentine's Day info for local readers :)

After coming back home from our Christmas trip, I decided my vanity table needed a little reorganizing; yes, that's also when I realized just how much unused make-up I have. So in an attempt to rotate my stuff regularly, I purchased this little basket ($.3.99 from Cost Plus World Market) and have been putting my everyday products in it ever since. I don't really change my face products out a whole lot (because I'm desparate to use them up!), but I try to pick out a different eyeshadow palette and blush every week, and I also rotate my lip products even more often. Here's what's in this week's basket:

This way I not only feel that I get much more use out of my products, but it also pushes me to try some new looks once in a while. The result can be seen below - I did a one-eyeshadow smokey eye using a beautiful blue/grey from Sleek's Oh So Special palette. To be honest, I still can't quite decide whether it brings out my eye color more or I just look like someone punched me in the face, but it is fun to shake things up a bit sometimes.

I also purchased two more pretty boxes at Marshall's. I use the black wooden box with an 'M' initial (yep, my real name is not actually Rocaille... sorry to disappoint) at my bed-side table for all my medicines, because I don't really like looking at them. I still haven't found a purpose for the Paris photo/shoe box, but having spare boxes never hurt anyone, right?

Lastly, for all my local readers looking for fun girly things to do over the Valentine's Day weekend, there's an awesome trunk show coming up on February 11 (Sat) at Sweet Anthem Handmade Perfumes atelier in West Seattle. From 12-4pm, you'll find flowers, perfumes and candles by Meredith Smith of Sweet Anthem and Nikki Sherritt of Gabriel's Aunt/Rebel & Mercury, as well as chocolates and truffles by Anne Dowell of Garden Bon Bons and Lydia Love of Chakralat. There'll be tea, gifts with purchase and an opportunity to chat with local artisans. Perfume and sweets? Sign me up, please! Learn more and RSVP at the event's FB page here.

Have you found any new storage solutions for your make-up area? What are your plans for Valentine's Day? Please let me know in the comments!

15 comments:

  1. It's fun to shop our stash. I've been doing that lately so I can give love to neglected products :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm shopping the stash more often, too, since the ban's on now! :D The boxes are cute! I need to find a nice tray for my perfume bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea! I'm getting a desk today (finally!) so I'll be much more organized and will be able to do something similar to this.

    p.s.
    Your skin looks absolutely LUMINOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, I can't wait to see your new desk! I'm such a nosey make-up nerd...

      Delete
  4. It ate my comment ._. I've been shopping my stash more now, too, because of the ban. It's quite lovely, actually!

    Also, I second Dani - your skin looks amazing! You glow, girl ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love digging out some of my old favorites :) I was just thinking that I look way too oily in that photo - this will always be a trauma for all of us oily-skinned girls...

      Delete
  5. Yay, your 100% Pure is almost all out! :o) (Unless that is what you are wearing in this photo, in which case: sad face. I have to agree with Dani & Larie; your skin looks gorgeous!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's such a great idea to force yourself to shop your stash. A lot of my makeup is just piled together so I grab whatever and just have tons of half/barely used items.

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do the same thing, and some of my products would just get pushed to the back of the drawer and I'd just forget that I have them :)

      Delete
  7. You look BEAUTIFUL! :D

    I've been thinking storage solution in conjunction with emptying/rotating, too. No solution yet for my vanity but I've gotten the perfume samples under control. Will show you in the Feb haul post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea with the weekly basket! I'm currently shopping my own stash too, this will be a great help :)

    Sarah
    msfwithsarah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a good idea to rotate weekly! I really like the products you've found from your stash and the FOTD you've done with them. I also have a 'current makeup' small box that I keep current items in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for letting us know about the event - I just RSVPed on facebook - hopefully I'll get to meet you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a good idea. I love your boxes choices :)
    http://happychinadoll.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete