Thursday, April 19, 2012

Review: Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation

Until recently, I wasn't really into foundations at all. Sure, I wore one or another all the time to cover my problematic skin, but I think because of the fact that I had so much to cover, I would just focus so much more on having a good concealer rather than the foundation I was using.

However, since my skin has been a lot better for the past couple of months, I started looking into foundations a lot more; which is why I bought this Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum foundation (~10 pounds for 30ml/ 1 fl oz.), especially after hearing so many great things about it in the online beauty community. I thought my collection could use a lighter coverage, more natural finish base, and this seemed to fit the bill perfectly.


Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum is a light to medium coverage gel foundation with a semi-matte finish. The texture is more of a gel when it initially comes out of the bottle, but once you start buffing it in, it becomes a lot more liquid. It has a fresh fruity/apple scent that doesn't really linger on the skin but that is quite noticeable during application.

The foundation feels very lightweight on the skin and looks rather natural too with its satin, skin-like finish. Unfortunately, it definitely has a tendency to sink into the pores a little bit, as you can see in the photo below where I'm wearing just the foundation alone. I find that even wearing a silicone-based primer underneath doesn't really prevent that, so up-close it's not the greatest on me. The amount of coverage is just what I was looking for - it evens out the skintone nicely, but doesn't cover blemishes/hyperpigmentation completely, which is what I use my concealer for. Still, my biggest gripe with the product is that I tend to get shiny when I wear it very quickly; 1-2 hours into wear, it almost seems like it provokes oil production in my skin because I usually don't get shiny that quickly. Set with a powder and blotted throughout the day, it doesn't completely slide off by the end of the day though.

L-R: Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum in no.51 Light Vanilla, Revlon Colorstay in Ivory, Estee Lauder Double Wear Light in Intensity 1
Despite these drawbacks, I still like wearing Healthy Mix Serum when I'm out and about for just a couple hours; it's just so quick and easy to throw on. I like applying it with a buffing brush/flat top kabuki, but fingers work well too. In terms of shade selection, it seems to be rather standard for Bourjois - Light Vanilla no.51 looks too dark and too yellow in the swatch, but because the formulation is more sheer, it appears to adapt to my cooler skintone nicely (I'm about NW15 in MAC for reference).

Have you tried any Bourjois foundations? What is your favorite skin-like foundation?

11 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot about this foundation but it doesn't seem like it would be good for oily skin, which I have. I hate battling shine!

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Oregon and can't seem to find the website that ships it here. Where did you get your from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually got mine in Poland when I was visiting the family, but I know Asos stocks some Bourjois products, not this one however... Maybe try eBay?

      Delete
  3. I haven't tried Bourjois yet, but like you I've heard so many good things. I would love to find a bottle some day

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favourite foundation, but it's true that it doesn't mattify for long :( But a blotting paper is OK throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I changed my mind about this foundation: I simply love it! Best buy ever :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally did not realize the bottle is so tiny! I've heard so many good things about this foundation--I am envious! It's quite difficult to access this product here unfortunately =/

    Thanks for the review =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been traveling in France the past few weeks, and bought this in 2 colors. I just haven't been able to find a light weight affordable foundation in the US that looks nice on my skin, so I was hoping this could be it! I got it in 2 colors - 51 Light Vanilla and 52 Vanilla. I found that the 51 Light Vanilla does settle in my pores afer a few hours (like you said) and can make my skin look a bit dry, but the strange thing is the color 52 Vanilla doesn't do this at all!! It's like they are 2 different formulas - while the 51 is matte, 52 gives my skin a glowy - in fact it's "dewy" so I have to add a touch of powder. It doesn't settle in pores and makes my skin look really healthy. I love it it and wish I had bought 2 in that shade! It's a hair darker than my skin but not by much. It's too bad we can't order these in the U.S....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn`t realize that Revlon ivory is so much lighter than the Bourjois Healthy mix serum 51 :o, and I had both of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's quite a big difference. Please refrain from posting self-promotional links next time.

      Delete