Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Review & Swatches: Revlon PhotoReady Cream Blush in Flushed

Even though I'm slightly orange-obsessed at the moment, I still haven't abandoned my trusty pinks, especially when the weather is back to being its typical Pacific Northwestern self (meaning 'blah'). When I heard that Revlon was coming out with a cream blush formulation in its Summer 2012 Escapism collection, my instincts of hunter-gatherer immediately awoke and I just had to snatch at least one shade at my local RiteAid, even despite the higher than usual pricetag.
 And I'm so glad that I did! Revlon PhotoReady Cream Blush comes in a simple plastic round pot with a screw-on lid and is filled to the brim with punchy goodness. The texture feels somewhat dry for a cream blush and it's indeed a cream to powder formula. The product spreads out to a very fine, almost indiscernable layer, and feels very firm in the packaging when pressed with a finger, so that you don't risk getting too much on your fingers/brush when applying. The formulation allows for a translucent 'glow from within' type of finish where you virtually cannot see any product sitting on the top of the skin - it's magic in a pot!
(BTW, I am aware it's all due to a silicone by the name of dimethicone, which is first on the ingredients' list. As much as I don't like silicones in my skincare, they're rather ingenious in make-up formulas, no?)

'Flushed' (no.200) is indeed very aptly named as it resembles my natural flush to a tee. As you can see in the arm swatches below, it's a very cool hot pink - compared to 'Flushed', even NYX Powder Blush in 'Pinky' seems a lot warmer. It's the perfect natural shade for cool complected gals, especially if you're on the fair end of the spectrum. I love how bright the color appears in the pot but can still be very easily sheered out without having to 'barely touch the surface' or any such careful nonsense. The shade has absolutely no shimmer particles in it but still gives a nice glowy finish to the cheeks, no oiliness or stickiness in sight. The blush also lasts the whole day on me. Can you tell how much I love it? I've had it in my 'current loves' basket for the past month!

If you're a cream blush lover on a budget, I strongly recommend you check out Revlon's PhotoReady blushes - for now, there are only three shades available but I really hope they add more to the range (and make them permanent!). What is your favorite inexpensive cream blush? Any interesting finds at the drugstore recently?

14 comments:

  1. Love this. How did you apply it? Fingers or a brush?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really pretty. I like how natural looking it is. For the longest time I couldnt picture myself using blush, but now I think I need to buy one. I love that I can find some decent quality drug store blushes. I'd much rather spend a few bucks on my first blush, then a lot. I think a cream blush is the way to go. What other inexpensive blushes have you liked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The NYX blushes are fantastic (check out my post on them for swatches), and for cream blush, those NYC Blushable Creme Sticks are really nice as well. You can definitely find some great ones at the drugstore, I've heard a lot of good things about the Covergirl powder blushes too, but haven't tried them yet. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. That was extremely helpful. Thank you. I think I'd prefer a cream blush because my cheeks are typically dry. Next time I'm at Target I'm going to wonder past the NYC and Revlon displays.

      Delete
  3. This is the shade I am planning to buy as soon as it hits CVS(I love coral reef but red-coral, as opposed to creamy peachy coral, usually looks like sunburn on me). Anyway, I think this is indeed permanent since my CVS and Walgreens are currently getting rid of their old version of the cream blush.

    P.S. If you like borderline-fuchsia hot pink, you will love their kissable balm stain in Sweetheart, it goes on super smooth and even not to mention the killer lasting power. It has replaced Lancome Satin Fuchsia as my fuchsia favorite (and I liked that shade a lot)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to hunt those balm stains, but they're all sold out at my RiteAid! Thanks for the recommendation :)

      Delete
  4. I've been craving a cream blush for summer, and was thinking about a Larua Mercier or Edward Bess one..maybe I'll save the money and get a Revlon one instead! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful shade :) Hope it arrives soon here :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what - every single post you put up, I still can't get over how much I love your damn hair. EVERY TIME. It's getting distracting from all the makeup ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a huge fan of Japanese brands Canmake that do great cream blushes which have a cult following and Paul & Joe's cream blush as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty! And I'll have to pass the info for this along to my MIL, as she's been looking for a good, relatively inexpensive, non-oily cream blush. Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been curious to try cream blushes, though I'm not sure how they'd hold up on my oily skin. The Revlon ones look beautiful though, I think it'd be a great way to try them without going straight to the high end of things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always look so great!!

    I have a terrible lemming for this and the coral/orange shade that I'm trying to ignore. Perhaps I can treat myself to one when I finally finish a cream blush. (Nowhere near hitting pan!)

    ReplyDelete