Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Giving Bronzer Another Go With Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil

For the past couple of months, I'd been only reaching for bronzer to apply it on my... neck. I know I've lost some of you there, but bear with me: it simply looked WRONG on my pale face, and the only use I could find for it was bronzing up my neck slightly to match a too dark foundation on my face. But, there's something to be said about the effortless, summery glow that a quick swipe of bronzer instantly adds to one's face, and so I decided to track down a bronzing powder which would look RIGHT on my fair, fair skin.
Enter a lovely suggestion from Lisa Eldrige's 'How To Wear Bronzer Beautifully' video: Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil Light/ Medium Matte Bronzer ($30 for 10g/ 0.35 oz). In theory, it ticked all the boxes: reasonably light shade, rather compact, matte finish, decent price tag. Review spoiler alert: in practice, all the boxes remain gloriously ticked.
 While the plastic packaging lacks simple elegance and class of some more luxurious brands, the compact feels sturdy and snaps shut with a secure click, and comes with a large mirror. In reality, the 'Milk Chocolate' marketing blurb is more of a gimmick: the claims of antioxidant cocoa are probably a bit far fetched, as it comes towards the very end of the ingredients' list, and the sweet hot chocolate scent is most likely all due to the artificial fragrance. I don't really mind it though: I'm looking for a well-formulated bronzer, not pressed cocoa powder to dust on my face. And the chocolate lover in me does appreciate the happy, delicious scent emanating from the compact.
The texture of the powder is fine and silky: it does have a fair amount of slip and feels creamier than my other bronzers. I was a bit worried that could cause blending issues with the powder grabbing too much onto liquid foundation, but no, it blends out seamlessly and doesn't sit on top of the skin, or sink into pores. I would say Milk Chocolate Soleil has medium pigmentation; that, combined with the lighter hue, gives just a whisper of warmth to my skin with one swipe, but it can be built up to the 'I just came back from a beach vacation' level (or, as much as I can hope to achieve one...) with a couple more layers.
Here's a quick shade comparison for you: next to my only other light matte bronzer, The Body Shop Honey Bronzing Powder in 02 Fair Matte (yes, they do make one shade lighter and yes, I have used the heck out of mine), Too Faced Milk Chocolate is warmer and more well... uhm... orange. I know 'orange' is officialy a no-no when describing a bronzer, but you guys - my natural tan is a peachy, orangey shade, and so are my freckles (or actually, my facial tan often equals freckles). So yes, it is more orange compared to the slightly pinkier The Body Shop Honey bronzer, and a lot lighter and less brown than both Benefit Hoola, and the darkest bronzer in my collection, theBalm Bahama Mama.
L-R: Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil, The Body Shop Honey Bronzing Powder in Fair Matte, Benefit Hoola, theBalm Bahama Mama.
To showcase my recently rediscovered bronzing passion, I decided to go for a simple, sunkissed look with Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil used on high points of my face (liberally on the cheeks, temples, up into the hairline, a tiny bit across the bridge of my nose and on the chin, as well as - you guessed it - down on my neck), and also lightly in the crease of the eyes for some definition. I smudged a dark brown eyeliner pencil on my lashline, applied lots of black mascara and finished with a slick of Rimmel Soft Coral lipstick, patted down with a finger to take off some of the glitter and shine. I like this look: it's quick, it's easy, it makes me look rested and subtly polished.
Do you also struggle with finding the right bronzer shades? Is bronzer an everyday part of your make-up routine, or do you reserve it for specific looks? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

9 comments:

  1. Hey Monika, I always drool a little when I read about these! Milk Chocolate Soleil does look like a great one for the fairer girls who don't want to look obviously "bronzed.' I am kinda lucky when it comes to bronzers. Not that I am super tanned or anything, but my undertone is rather warm, so bronzers tend to sit OK on me. I "contour" a little with bronzers almost systematically, unless I'm wearing cooler-toned cheek and lip shades, because I am afraid bronzer would make the look muddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That contouring with bronzer thing totally eludes me! I should definitely practice more, and I just got a new contouring brush to play around with. Yes, Sunny, you always look subtly glowy and warmed-up from the bronzer, it goes so well with your complexion!

      Delete
  2. Definitely - they are usually far too orange, but this doesn't look to be that so I'll need to check it out :o) Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one very natural bronzer (from MAC) that works on an everyday basis, and I had a thought recently that I want another one couple of shades darker. It's hard work looking for the right bronzer! You're so right that not everyone has to avoid the orangey shades - we all tan differently, just like how different our original skin tones are. I think that if I want a natural looking bronze, I need one that's a little ruddy to mimic the slightest touch of a burn/tan. But if I want something for contouring, I need one that's cooler and ashier, like shadows. Lisa E made me consider this one as well but I'm going to swing for a Guerlain just to put that lemming to rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm promising myself to get either a Guerlain or a Dior bronzer after I hit pan on one of mine, which I might actually be able to achieve on The Body Shop one - it's practically the only bronzer I've been using for the past two years or so. Oh, those luxury compacts...

      Delete
  4. Looks great on you! I'm still trying to find my "perfect" bronzer, and it is so difficult to find! I have the Body Shop bronzer in the lightest shade and I'm actually enjoying it!

    Des | Simple Charm Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering if you had tried TBS Honey Bronzing Powder...the perfect winter bronzer. I'm a huge fan of the Milk Chocolate bronzer on my fair skinned friends. It looks lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison! Yes, The Body Shop bronzer is a big favorite of mine and a staple - for me, probably still more so in the summer :) But now it has a rival by way of Too Faced Milk Chocolate!

      Delete
  6. I love the soft shade of the TF and I must say that TBS is quite nice too and I just might grab that one since it's lighter than the ones I have. Although I always use them with a light hand I do think I'm addicted to bronzers!

    ReplyDelete