Saturday, March 12, 2011

Rocaille Raves: Mario Badescu Drying Lotion

Long-time readers of this blog will probably know that I have tried and reviewed many acne treatments, so far with rather unimpressive results. This, however, might be the turning point...


What is it?
"The Drying Lotion is a fast acting, effective acne spot treatment. Formulated with salicylic acid, calamine and other quick-drying ingredients, this product will shrink ugly whiteheads virtually overnight while you sleep. While other acne spot treatments can irritate and dry delicate or sensitive skin, this product is safe and effective for all skin types."


The product comes in a clear glass bottle with pink sediment on the bottom and alcohol on top. The instructions specify to dip a cotton swab in the sediment without shaking the bottle and then apply to problem areas, which seems like a very hygienic way if a bit fussy way of applying the lotion. It smells strongly of alcohol and camphor, which reminds me of a strong antiseptic... and nose sprays.

What I like about it:
- It really does what it says on the bottle! I apply it to whiteheads and other bumps at night, and by morning all spots are greatly diminished. It even works on painful cystic ones!
- It doesn't dry the skin out terribly. I haven't observed any flakiness, yet the pimples are reduced. Also, there's no irritation.
- It's reasonably priced ($17 for 1 oz.)
- It's hygienic to use.
- I imagine the bottle lasting me a very long time.

What I dislike about it:
- I don't look my best when I apply it. In fact, the husband says I look as if I had measles.
- The glass bottle is certainly not the best for travelling.
- The smell might be quite bothersome.

Will I repurchase? Yes!!! It's the best spot treatment I've ever tried; and believe me, I've tried a fair share of these since I was 14. Even though the ingredients seem very common - isopropyl alcohol, calamine, salicylic acid - somehow their combination together with some less popular ones, like camphor or colloidal sulphur, really does the trick. Thumbs up from me!

Have you ever tried Mario Badescu's skincare? What is your favorite spot treatment? x

11 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot about this and it sounds like it's definitely worth a try.
    Do you mind me asking where you bought it from?x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only product I use from their range is the Silver Powder that works great against blackheads, but I haven't tried anything else. However a friend of mine who has tried every acne product available really swears by Mario Badescu and by this particular product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lauren: Hi lovely, I got it from Mario Badescu's website, but I know in the US it's also available in Nordstrom. Hope that helps! x

    @Marie Ella: I have the Silver Powder too, but so far it's just okay. This however works really great! I'm planning more purchases from them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, thanks so much. I'm in the UK so I'll just purchase from the website. Thanks again xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Mario Badescu's whole line. These are the only products that actually improved my problem skin. I don't have a clear favorite because I don't want to go without any of the products I use. Eventually I'll post about my routine...
    Only regret: wish I found MB sooner :)

    love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lauren: No problem, let me know how you're liking the products! x

    @Lucy: From all the products I ordered and lots of samples, there hasn't been one I didn't like at all. I like how simple some of these products are! I'll be on the lookout for your skincare routine post :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like their products! :P I still have to try this though :)
    Right now I'm using cliniques spot treatment gel :)
    stings so much but I guess it makes me feel like its working haha :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this for my stubborn whiteheads.. Works wonders but I do find that it leaves scars once the pimple is gone.. But it does eventually fade away

    I also loove MB's drying mask and cream.. You gotta try those if you have regular breakouts.. I then use the healing cream afterwards which is a great combination as it calms those angry pimples..

    ReplyDelete
  9. @kAy: This one doesn't sting too much, sometimes just a bit from the alcohol. I don't like it when it stings too much!

    @Delyteful Speaks: I haven't seen any new scars, not more so than usual. I have Drying Cream as well and often use it in the daytime. I'd love to try the Healing Cream, it'll be my next purchase from them! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't really use a spot treatment but thanks for the review - I will keep this in mind!:D

    Have a great week!:D

    ***** Marie *****
    allthingsmarie.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Mario Badescu products! I think I am going to purchase all of them one day. They really work the way they are supposed to. I like and use drying lotion however I have to say that I simply love buffering lotion, just ordered my 4th bottle. I like it more for some reason as it isn't as visible and works better for the type of acne I am getting.

    ReplyDelete