Thursday, October 23, 2014

How To Blog Through A Blogging Crisis

We all know how it usually begins: you're feeling slightly lazy one day and opt for an evening of Sherlock instead of photo editing and writing, then the next day something comes up and you run out of time, then you're suddenly no longer in love with your original post idea... Before you even realize where the time has gone, a week/ a fortnight/ a month has passed and you've completely lost any inspiration and/or motivation to blog. Poufff! Your blogging mojo is gone - just like that.

I've been blogging for six years now and I've experienced major blogging crisises a good number of times. However, as you can see, I'm still here - so there must have been some strategies I've been using to deal with my posting malaise. This post was actually inspired by a Twitter conversation with Charlotte, and while I do not aspire to offer some incredibly innovative advice here, I hope someone somewhere will find my mind tricks at least amusing, if not helpful.

Let's start with an easier case of blogging idleness: you still really love posting, you've just fallen off the wagon and don't know where to start again. You know, I firmly believe there's nothing wrong with typing up some random nonsense to be completely scrapped later on, just to get you back in touch with your writer's voice (or in my case, hitting 'Publish' on it in a strange moment of bravado that I'm going to deeply regret some day). There are two choices you can opt for in terms of subject matter: either safely fall back on an easy feature you've done before, like a monthly favorites round-up, a tag, or an empties post, or if that feels too boring, go the opposite way and post something you've never talked about before: a recipe, a travel journal, maybe a book review. Or experiment with your photography, change up your lighting, angles, background, whatever.  It's YOUR freakin' blog - you can post whatever YOU like. I also find that keeping a notebook with post ideas is immensely helpful when I scrabble around for something to talk about; whadd'ya know, this is exactly where the post you're now reading originally comes from.

Now, for the exponentially more serious MAJOR blogging crisis, by which I mean feelings somewhere along the lines of: 'I hate my blog', 'I hate posting', 'I can't stand social media', and, of course, 'I'm a lousy writer' (no judging: I've definitely been there before, my friends - still occasionally am). This is the stuff that makes people abandon their blogs overnight, to linger in a limbo of half-finished series and interrupted conversations. But how do I go back to loving blogging again?

Don't try to guess the ultimate reason behind the hulking mass of a writer's block - there can be many. It doesn't always help to try to pin it down, despite what psychotherapists may lead you to believe. Writing is not like childhood trauma, or Oedipus complex: it's such a twisting, intertwining nucleus of creativity, emotion and discipline that not only are any efforts at untangling the knot bound to fail in the end, they may actually hurt 'the magic' more than help it along. In the rare case of knowing exactly what's stopping you from blogging, go ahead and get it off your chest: I find that a good rant always feels good. But otherwise, leave the thicket for now. Don't poke at it.

For me, the first step of finding my way back to writing is in fact to disconnect from it entirely. Go, stand up from the blank laptop screen, get out there. Take a trip, go see an art exhibit, talk to new people, or an old friend. I've learnt again and again that ideas strike when you least expect them, especially when you're actually thinking about something else completely - and then when they strike, don't force them, just store them for later, to have just in case. In a more practical sense, disconnect from the elements of the blogging world that frustrate you, like maybe those rapid-fire reviews of just released products on multiple blogs, accounts from press events, instahauls, page view and follower counts. Just don't look at them - stop reading, tweeting and instagramming for a while. And please, please, under no condition try to compare yourself to other bloggers. It NEVER helps.

What fundamentally helps me to enjoy blogging again, is connecting with you, my Dear Reader. No, not readers, the strangely anonymous crowd of blog visitors: a singular Reader. I know you - you've left comments before, and from these, I've gathered glimpses of your personality, and I've kept them close to my heart. I know you're an amazing, critical-thinking, kind, unique human being, and I try to imagine my posts as personal letters to you, snippets of a longer conversation with a wonderful, caring friend somewhere out there, miles and days apart. I imagine we're sitting at a cosy cafe, drinking chai lattes, and I'm spilling my heart out to you, and you listen, you understand, and then you further contribute YOUR thoughts to my story. I'm sorry if this sounds vaguely stalkerish - I didn't mean it that way. This is just to say that I never cease to want to talk to (or with?) you, and yet it boggles my mind that you even exist. Because blogs are very much unlike books or magazines with their 'target audience' and 'ideal readers', because you're a real breathing person who brushes her teeth in the morning, NOT a concept, and definitely not a business venture, or an obligation. Reminding myself that you're there for me is enough to dispel the worst case of a writer's block. I just need to keep reminding myself. We all need to.

19 comments:

  1. Aww, what a lovely post, Monika. I've been blogging for nearly 4 years now, and I've only experienced this block once. That was during my first and second trimester of pregnancy earlier this year. I was sick of everything, but I also knew it was my crazy hormones. Blogging is a hobby to me, not a job, so it's easier for me to just take off, and posted minimally. And when I posted, the articles were about random stuff and nothing beauty related. You're so right that it's the interaction with the readers that's so heartwarming! Everybody was so understanding and kind :-)
    In my very humble opinion, it all depends on why that person blogs. I blog mostly for myself and the reason I started one is as a reference for my daughters. I'd still blog if no one reads, and I'd still stop blogging if I didn't want to anymore. There are no commitments, and it might sound harsh, but the truth of the matter is, even if we did stop blogging, some friends we made along the way will miss us (and we'll probably still keep in touch through social media), but generally, who the heck genuinely cares? LOL LOL!
    Sorry for the long rambling comment. I love how you write your last paragraph though. You're such a kind hearted person to think that. Makes me feel special reading your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that! I have been dealing with topical steroid withdrawal for almost a year now, which makes it impossible to use any skincare or makeup product for the moment (until my skin is 100% healed). I have debated whether I should change my blog topic, but I am not ready for that yet, so for now, I have decided to include more lifestyle topic (like travel), as well as focus on hair care, since hair products are the only beauty I can use for now x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for ya, Gaby - I know my eczema is not even half as annoying as yours, but anything to do with topical steroids is a real b*tch. I personally love reading travel posts!

      Delete
  3. This is such a beautiful post, Monika! I can definitely relate—I'm kind of having a blogging crisis at the moment. My problem is that I'm always analyzing my posts and what people "gather" from them about me as a person. Basically, I judge myself and get discouraged, because I didn't write a profound essay about a lipstick... I know, silly. And social media frustrates me as well, especially when I read articles that say "you must participate in ALL available social media"—really? Must I? I don't want to spend my day writing status updates.
    I'm rambling. Basically, I agree with everything you said :) My go-to fix is trying something new, or remembering what was is that I really wanted to write about in the first place when I started the blog: if it's still the same—write about it, if not—write about what you're interesting in RIGHT NOW. I think the readers who keep coming back to your blog are willing to grow with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some excellent tips! I'll be putting them into practice, because I feel myself rapidly approaching the second, more existential type of blogging crisis. (Only in my head, I'm Jackie Chan, racing around the landscape, bellowing "WHO AM I". Blergh. I feel like my blog is just another iteration of the same thing, and I don't know where to re-start, creatively speaking.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie, your blog is definitely not 'just another iteration of the same thing' - we all love it. But maybe to shake things up a bit for yourself, start with some small steps? Like a new feature or something?

      Delete
    2. Aww, thanks for saying that, it's really sweet. :)

      I'm taking your advice - I did decide to a sort of look breakdown type post, thinking of doing more like that. Also working on some skincare posts.

      Delete
  5. Maybe I should call myself an irresponsible blogger because if I don't feel like blogging or am overwhelmed by "real" life I simply don't blog and I never feel sorry about it (and I just assume that the blogging friends/reader will understand) since I have never made it a job/obligation...

    Sometime, it actually throws me off a little bit when my favorite blogger lost her spark then forces herself to keep going on. I can read it between the line and there is no point for me to follow someone's train of thoughts, when all she trying to do is "get something published" or worst "keep receiving freebies and keep her title as beauty blogger" ...

    Well, that's just how I think (and I guess it's the reason I never make it as "real blogger".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess my point was not so much about not wanting to keep up with another obligation as a serious/real/professional blogger, but more about why we sometimes abandon our passions and what to do if the abandonment is making us unhappy. Nothing wrong with not blogging any more if that's truly what you feel like doing! I think maybe because I personally treat my blog as a huge creative outlet, I wanted to touch on things that sometimes hinder creativity and make me feel unfulfilled, and what I do to keep myself going.

      Delete
  6. As friends, It was nice to share my morning coffee with you this way. I always love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I've read and written ones unrelated to beauty since high school, I've only been blogging at my current one for the last eight months. Still, I'v definitely been through periods like you describe. For me, the main thing is perfectionism, which Z from Auxiliary Beauty talks about in her latest post on taking a hiatus. When I get overwhelmed with anything in life I tend to hide away and abandon it, when I really usually need to just push through and do something, anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't perfectionism the death of any creative venture? But I'm very much like you, I'm always trying to achieve the unachievable and the whole effort exhausts me so much I just want to get away from it. I'm really trying hard not to have it get in the way of blogging though. Just keep on hustling!

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed reading this Monika, I identified with it so much. Like you mentioned I keep a notebook with me to jot down ideas. I find ideas flow freely when i'm handwriting them. During the summer I took a little break from social media and found that it helped tremendously with feeling refreshed again and getting my blogging mojo back. You've highlighted some excellent points here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Monika, I've never appreciated how personal blogging can be until I read that last paragraph. You are a self-less blogger -- as in the opposite of moi: a selfish blogger who yaks yaks yaks about things *I* like without regard of readership (I mean, not in a harsh, offending way of course). I am touched by that attitude of connection, no wonder your blog seems to strike personal chord e.g. when you were talking about YouTuber v.s. reality and such. So glad to have found an engaging person who is as beautiful as she is articulate and candid. In fact, I'm now inspired to make more connection and perhaps to make my blog a bit more personal. Thanks for sharing these wonderful thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Claire, no, I'm definitely NOT a selfless blogger: I just wanted to say that connecting with the readers is probably what ultimately makes ME the happiest about my blogging passion, so it's also the factor that keeps me going. But I can't say I'm not happy when it also turns out to be helpful or amusing for others, and maybe brings a bit of a respite to someone's busy or stressful day. With regards to your blog, I want to read whatever YOU want to write about :D

      Delete
  10. I totally agree that good ideas often come to you when you are doing something completely different, everything can be an inspiration!
    And yay for name/url option - now I can comment, too x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post! I don't blog, but it's great to see all that goes into it. I don't comment much, but your blog really is special and different and a joy to read, and posts like this make it clear why that's the case. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katherine, I really appreciate what you've said :) xoxo

      Delete