Thursday, October 16, 2014

Glittery Glimmers: Shu Uemura Eyeshadow in IR Pink 115

Uhmm, no, not done with glitter quite yet, my dears. I will admit that I went through a difficult phase of glitterophobia about two years ago - any glittery make-up product I touched would either leave my lips dry and gritty, or form a trail of sparkly dandruff all over my cheeks, and was always, always, an absolute b*tch to remove. But I'm over my fears now, as you may have deduced from my last nail-centered post: I've found glittery make-ups that WORK. Well, I do still avoid glitter on the lips though.
So let me present a perfect example of a glitter that works: Shu Uemura Silk Smooth Eyeshadow Refill in IR(idescent) Pink 115 ($15 for 1.4 g/0.049 oz), another stellar recommendation from Driveller Kate. Here's what Shu's IR Pink 115 is and isn't: it IS a fine fiery opal glitter, shifting between pink and orange, and it IS NOT a pigmented base with some chunky glitter thrown in for added interest. Iridescent Pink 115 is meant to be a glitter topper, to be layered with another, more opaque shadow underneath - very much like many other glitter eyeshadows from Asian brands.
Shu Uemura IR Pink 115 eyeshadow shot at different angles.
WHICH is also the reason why Shu's Iridescent Pink turned out to be nearly impossible to photograph accurately. But, instead of giving up completely, I thought I could at least try to show you a textural difference between some other glitter eyeshadows in my collection as well as a satin finish transforming shadows from the recent Shiseido release. I hope that in the arm swatch, you can see that Shu's IR Pink 115 is very similar in texture to the glitter shade in Visee Bitter Brown quad, and very much texturally different from something like Too Faced Nude Beach eyeshadow from the old Natural Eye palette (another example: Urban Decay's Sidecar shadow from the first Naked palette). Shiseido's Static trio is a similar concept to Shu's glitter, but a luminous satin finish instead of glitter. Shiseido's shadows can also be used alone without the need for layering, since they do have a colored base.

L-R: Shu Uemura IR Pink 115 on top of a plum base, Shu IR Pink 115 alone, glitter shade from Visee Bitter Brown quad, Too Faced Nude Beach, pink shade from Shiseido Static trio
In terms of application and wear, Shu Uemura's Iridescent Pink adheres very well on top of another shadow or a cream base, and doesn't migrate all over my face - no, seriously, I couldn't find any glitter specks on the rest of my face at all. It also doesn't hurt my eyes, and it's not difficult to get off, even with a micellar make-up remover. The texture is creamy & smooth and the glitter quite dense, so patting on with a brush is a piece of cake.
In the arm swatch above, you can see how absolutely stunning IR Pink 115 looks on top of dark shades: I used the Avon Extra Lasting Eyeshadow Pencil in Smoky Plum for the base. In the face shot below, I opted for a lighter base, using the Avon Extra Lasting shadow stick in Amethyst, and the effect was more subtle, but still very pretty, especially in the inner corners where the light hit the glitter at just the right angle.
I really wish more of the Shu glitter eyeshadows were available in the US; I guess for now, we have to console ourselves with the sparkly shades in the Tom Ford and Charlotte Tilbury quads. What are your thoughts on glitter eyeshadows? Do you love them, hate them, only wear them for special occasions?

12 comments:

  1. This looks really pretty on you, really nice shades!

    http://lifebyemmy.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, why don't we get more Shu Uemura shades? Our selection is stunted, LOL. There's an orange one that appears to be available only to everyone else that I really want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw your look with the Shu palette from about a month ago using the gold glitter - stunning! I bet an orange would look absolutely fantastic on you :)

      Delete
  3. I love the combo you used! The shade reminds me of a pearlescent one by L'Oreal Infallible from that candy collection a year back...more refined.

    I actually find it a little amusing that they do the "Designed in Japan. Made in Korea" thing...
    like how NYC goes Designed in New York, Made in PRC/China....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I just got a pair of glasses and everywhere on the website, it says Made in NYC, and on my actual frames, it says Made in China :/

      Delete
  4. Yes!! This one shadow has become the most used one in my glitter collection. Instead of boring beige wash to offset an aqua eyeliner? this soft pink-peach dream. Need brightness on a smoky makeup day? dab it on or under the eyes.
    This and the Three glitter in the Ziggy color ( a neutral with a punk heart) have turned my old makeup anew. The three one though is a more traditional powder glitter though.Wish it came in Shu's gellie form.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your ideas for pairings, I'll defiinitely try them out. I agree that the glitter toppers can just completely transform an otherwise conventional look - and so many possibilities for layering! Ugh, I wish I had access to Three eyeshadows :/

      Delete
  5. holy cow! Over the dark plum it looks like smoldering fire! That is beautiful and you look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the image that came to my mind as well! Oh Shu, you make such beautiful products... Thank you Belly!!!

      Delete
  6. I must agree w/ Belly, there's something magical with combo of plum + peachy sparkle. I love it! This sounds like a serious glitter e/s: no fluff, adheres well, watch out TF/CT. I think the only sparkly e/s I've used so far with much success is Chanel Illusion D'Ombre. I occasionally use the sparkly shade of TF Enchanted but it still falls off. The worst is Guerlain - just don't even bother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally my style of eyeshadow ! What is the ref of the plum color? I really do like your blog dear. You can see mine (post are in french because I am and in english) Hope you Will like it too : www.julieginger.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie! :) Do you mean the dark plum? It's an Avon Extra Lasting Eyeshadow Pencil in Smoky Plum. I'll definitely check your blog out, I need more reading material in French!

      Delete