Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Sensitive Skin SOS: REN Evercalm Gentle Cleansing Milk

For the past couple of years, I've been working on eliminating foaming face washes from my skincare routine, and I couldn't be happier with the results. I feel that my combination skin has become more balanced, hydrated and even; but sometimes I still struggle with lots of irritation and redness when cleansing my face. Which is why I've decided to give the REN Evercalm Gentle Cleansing Milk ($28 for 5.1 fl oz./ 150ml) a try, having liked their Clearcalm Clay Cleanser in the past.
The packaging is a standard REN vacuum pump bottle: functional, hygenic, aesthetically pleasing. Mind you, you won't be able to get every last drop from this cleanser - the product itself is housed in sort of a clear plastic bag inside the bottle, so it can be a bit difficult to judge how much cleanser remains inside when you're running low.
This Gentle Cleansing Milk is aimed at sensitive skin as well as skin affected by pollution, which as a dweller of one of the biggest concrete jungles in the world, I classify as on both accounts. It contains omega acids to nourish as well as calendula and fennel seed to soothe. The texture of this cleanser is somewhere between a cream and a milk - softer and easier to spread that something like Clarins Extra Comfort Cleansing Cream, but not as liquidy as your typical make-up removing milk. It does have an herbal scent that first reminded me of rosemary, but I suppose it's probably the fennel seed.
I have been using the Evercalm Cleansing Milk for about a monh now, and I'm really enjoying it. I did buy it knowing that most likely, it wouldn't have amazing make-up removing properties (and it doesn't - won't make a dent in waterproof mascara and eyeliner, but is sufficient to get rid of eyebrows and a bit of powder/ concealer), although it works perfectly as a morning cleanser or a second cleanse at night (on days I wear make-up, I use a cleansing oil to remove it first and follow up with the REN). It feels very silky and nourishing on my skin, and once I swipe it off using a warm washcloth, my skin isn't aggravated in the least, which often happens when I attempt to thoroughly cleanse my face. It leaves my face quite moisturized too (even compared to a solid cleansing balm like the Emma Hardie Moringa balm), but I wouldn't say there's a residue or a film - just calm, clean, happy skin.

I will always strive to have a more natural cream/ milk/ balm cleanser in my routine, as I've found they work the best on my skin. I'm not sure if I'll repurchase the REN once it runs out (I have my eye on a cream cleanser from Andalou Naturals next), but it's a great product. On a different note, I don't know how I feel about the fact that Unilever has recently bought out REN - I guess it makes me a teeny bit sad, but we can only wait and see what changes that will bring when it comes to the product line. What cleanser are you using currently? Do you have separate ones for morning and evening routines?

16 comments:

  1. I tried the Evercalm moisturizer and really liked it! Glad you found this works well. Betting that I'll like the cleanser too but now I've reconciled myself to relying on gel cleansers from the drugstore: Neutrogena and Marcelle both make excellent ones. The Marcelle even removes eye makeup well, but I don't wear waterproof mascaras and can't attest. (I think Maggie's Makeup said that it did.)

    As for Unilever... I like a lot of their products but don't care for some of their campaigns and the Big Corporate Shadow that looms over brands like REN now. But then so many makeup that we enjoy are owned similarly by L'Oreal and Estee Lauder -- I often completely forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was curious about the Evercalm moisturizer too, but that one is pretty $$$, and I'm not sure if I need to spend that much for a simple moisturizer. Hahah, I love that you stick to your drugstore gel cleansers - at least you don't feel like washing money down the drain... I'm still hoping we'll see more and more balm cleansers at the drugstore within the next couple years.

      That's true about big corporations, that's just how it is not only on the beauty product market, but so many others as well. It feels good to me when I think I'm supporting a smaller brand, but in the end, my priorities lay with the effectiveness of a product.

      Delete
  2. I used to use foaming cleansers, too! I'd thought cream cleansers were for dry skin, but my skin got dry a few winters ago and I bought one cream cleanser to try... haven't looked back. And even though it's something that only sits on skin for a minute, my skin looks and feels much, much better.

    I'm going to look into this, despite the fact that I wasn't happy with the one REN product I tried (the glycolactic mask). I've been loving the Korres Milk Proteins cleanser, but it looks like they've discontinued it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be the person who always checked whether it said 'oil-free' on the packaging too. Now I use balm cleansers, oils in my bath and on the face, and would much prefer lots of natural oils in the formula versus a bunch of silicones for example.

      I have a deluxe sample of the REN Glycolactic mask and I'm curious to try it - why didn't you like yours? I know it was massively hyped up in the blogosphere about a year or two ago. Isn't Korres the worst about discontinuing everything? :(

      Delete
    2. I'm still scared of oils, actually :) I used plain jojoba on my face a while back and wasn't too happy. Re: the Ren - it made my skin really sensitive. I think it must have effective AHAs, but I read somewhere that people were concerned it contained phototoxins (I think? Prone to degrading in sunlight?) and I thought, I really did see increased sensitivity after using it, and I've been using AHAs for years. I've never had any sensitivity to AHAs like I had to the Ren product.

      But it seems to work for a lot of people!

      Korres is really bad like that... I just bought a Chantecaille cleanser to replace it. It was really (really) expensive but I'm hoping for great things, natural ingredients, etc.

      Delete
  3. This is something worth trying out. I am impressed with its qualities. Will include this in my purchase list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Foaming cleansers tend to aggravate my skin and I'm thinking of giving them all away to family members who swear by the puffy stuff - if it suits them I suppose no harm can be done? This sounds much nicer on the skin, and I love the look of all of the REN packaging. I'm testing out a few cleansing milks right now and some have been quite impressive, but I think I'd like to indulge in some higher-end skincare once I've emptied out a few more cleanser bottles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also still have quite a few foaming cleansers in the deluxe sample size, and while I thought about giving them all away, in the end I decided to use up what I can, and from then on try not to accumulate any more. Ooh, what cleansing milks are you using? Hahah, I was actually thinking of trying a cheaper option when the REN runs out, just to compare and see whether it's worth spending the extra money :)

      Delete
  5. Hey Monika, I nearly picked this up but I bought the Murad gentle foaming cleanser instead. I tried a sample of that, and it's by far the least drying foaming cleanser ever. It leaves my skin soft and comfortable. I will try this next though. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've used the Andalou cleansers before (I've tried the kombucha one, the lemon meyer one, and the apricot probiotic).
    My favorite was the apricot milk cleanser - it smells really yummy and left my skin soft, it just doesn't remove makeup well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your opinion of the Andalou cleansers - I have my eye on the apricot probiotic, as their Renewal Cream with Vit. C and Probiotics has been working really well for me. <3

      Delete
  7. I also tend to stick to cream and milk cleansers rather than foaming due to my sensitive skin. Have you ever tried the Rodan + Fields SOOTHE line? I'd love to know your thoughts and help you get your hands on some!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, no, I haven't tried anything from Rodan + Fields; I actually don't believe I've heard much about the brand at all, but it sounds interesting! Are you a seller?

      Delete
    2. Hi Monika! So excited your replied! I'm not sure how I didn't seen the reply until now. Yes - I am a consultant with R+F and personally use our SOOTHE line, which is for sensitive skin. R+F is the same doctors that created Proactiv, but their newest skincare is more meant for adults and geared towards all skin types, not just acne prone. You can check out more information on the sensitive skin products here: https://elizabethstelley.myrandf.com/Shop/Soothe

      I would love to chat more with you about it if you are interested. Not trying to push the products - just thought you might want to know more since you are a fellow sensitive skin makeup lover!!

      Delete
  8. I actually bought this cleanser as a part of their Christmas set, too Have to start using it ( I am currently IN LOVE with the Balance Me cleanser but it'd be a better option for dry skin). And, yes, it is sad that they are a part of Unilever now, as I do love the brand a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As funny as it can sound, I've never used a milk cleanser, haha. Might have to give one a try sometime; I have combination skin but my cheeks can get pretty dry (they even get dry spots >_<)

    ReplyDelete