Thursday, February 10, 2011

Eyebrow Essentials

Having naturally strong brows, I'd never felt a need to fill them until 2 years ago when I first started blogging. However, once I started playing with my brows, I became quite addicted and began to look for the best way to accentuate and even them out.


Here's the result of my search, from the fastest to the most elaborate method:


1. Eyebrow gel/ clear mascara (Covergirl Professional Natural Lash Mascara, $5.49) . I tend to reach for a clear gel when I'm most pressed for time or I'm looking for a very natural way of grooming the brows. I brush the gel lightly upwards at the bridge of my nose and then pull the hairs sideways at the arch. It straightens out any kinky bits and sets the brows for the day.
2. Eyebrow pencil (Wet'n'Wild Khol for Eyes and Brows in Taupe, $0.99). Oh, how much I love thee: it's the single most used eyebrow product in my collection, full stop. I just fill the brows in with small strokes and brush them slightly with a groomer (pictured below) at the end to soften the effect. If you haven't tried this Wet'n'Wild pencil, I urge you to check it out!
3. Eyebrow pencil and wax (Wet'n'Wild Arch Envy Color & Set in Medium Ash, $2.99). Great for a bit more brow oomph. The pencil end is a darker color than the Khol pencil, but a bit harder formula, so the result is not too strong. I really like the wax too, it really keeps even the stubborn hairs in place without any residue.
4. Powder eyeshadow (Annabelle So Foxy, $5). This method allows me to create a slightly different shape, and I can also vary the color intensity by adding a lighter brown shade or a matte dark grey; it is, however, the most time consuming. I use a slanted brush to fill in any gaps, brush through with a groomer and, if I feel like it, set with a gel or a wax.


My favorite eyebrow tools:
I pretty much use the EcoTools brow groomer every day, and Mr is known for stealing it occasionally as well. The hairs are soft but sturdy, while the comb side is perfect for brushing out mascara clumps. The slanted eyeliner/eyebrow brush was my first purchase from EcoTools, and I still love it: it's precise but firm, just enough to define the hairs. And, last but not least, the slanted tweezers from Tweezerman: costly but well worth it, and Mr-approved. Also, irreplaceable for pulling out splinters.

I hope it helped some of you looking for the best way to accentuate the eyebrows. Let me know what is your preferred technique and products in the comments below! x

5 comments:

  1. I usually just tweeze and doing nothing else...I love Tweezerman too and it's actually not hard finding them on sale (at Walgreens and Sephora)...I got a small one from Urban Outfitters and it only cost 5 bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a steal! I have full size ones and I got them at Sephora Friends&Family sale, so I guess they were a bit cheaper... I used to only tweeze mine for a long time too, but I like to make them a bit stronger now. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use the same method!:D

    Have a wonderful weekend!:D

    ***** Marie *****
    allthingsmarie.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post makes me think I really need to make an effort with my eyebrows on a daily basis... right now I only use eyeshadow IF I have the time (almost never)... I should start exploring all the different options!
    Btw the pencil and wax duo sounds extremely practical!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Marie: Thanks, sweetie, you too! x

    @Tina: The pencil & wax are great, I just went away for the weekend and it was the only brow product I took with me... fast and very effective! x

    ReplyDelete