Monday, February 28, 2011

February Favorites

I'm not very diligent in posting my favorites regularly, the reason being that it's not that often that something really takes my fancy, and when it does, I tend to stick to it, thus making these posts a rarer occurence here on the blog. On the plus side, once you see something here, it really does bear my personal seal of approval.

Right, let's jump straight to the good stuff!


1. Neutrogena Hand Cream - not only a classic, but also an absolute winter must-have. I've been diagnosed with eczema on my hands last month and have been trying various lotions and potions since to soothe the Sahara-dry patches resulting from a steroid cream. This is the only one that provides the instant feeling of hydration which then lasts until the next hand wash.
2. Mario Badescu Drying Cream - quite on the contrary, I've been needing something drying to take care of the little bumps and spots on my face. As you can see in the photo, I only have a tiny sample, but I reckon it will last me a good couple months until it runs out, you only need a tiny amount. On my fair skin, it really conceals breakouts, and gradually takes off redness and dries them out. I love that I can just dab a tiny amount of this on any spots and look half-decent with no slap on!
3. Sugababes 'Touch' EDT 100ml - when I won it in the giveaway organized by the fabulous Charlotte, I was a bit skeptical whether I'd like it or not. The perfume includes notes of cranberry and lychee, followed by violet and rose and ending with patchouli and musk. Scent description aside, to me this smells like... magic markers. You know, the ones that came with a transparent marker that changed the colors of other markers. Strangely, I love it. It just reminds of my childhood... and something magical. The only downside is that the perfume doesn't last very long at all.
4. Essie nail polishes in 'Demure Vixen' (Summer 2010) and 'Hot Coco' (Winter 2010), see it on the nails here - these two are my first Essie polishes and like them both. I purchased them from this website for half of the original price and I really like the shades, application and finish. I'll surely be back for more!
5. NYX Mega Shine lipgloss in 'Beige' - not beige at all, but a gorgeous nudey pink for everyday that doesn't wash me out. I'll be posting a review with swatches of the shades I have soon, the formula of these is simply fantastic for the price!
6. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Eye Pencil in 'Eldorado' - a yellow gold infused with silver glitter which looks amazing in the inner corners and on the waterline (although due to the glitter content, I'm sure you're not supposed to wear them there). A much more interesting alternative to the skin-toned/white pencils. See the review with swatches here.
7. MAC Frost eyeshadow in 'Ricepaper' - I knew this shade to be a 'perfect' highlight shade for darker skintones, but you know what... I think it's beautiful on pale skin as well. Granted, it's more yellow based than my standard highlighting color, but I just love the subtle sheen and pigmentation of this one.
8. Milani 'Luminous' blusher - a well-known dupe for NARS 'Orgasm', a beautiful peach with lots of warm gold shimmer. Once buffed out on the cheek, it doesn't seem too frosty and imparts a beautiful glow to the cheekbones. See the swatches here and worn on the cheeks here.

You can definitely detect a theme to this month's look with all the golden shimmer, peaches and pinks. I'm getting fed up with the cold weather and cool-toned shades and starting to yearn for a more natural, warm bronzed face. What's been your favorite make-up look this month? x

3 comments:

  1. hehe! I'm sick of winter shades too, I've been wearing coral lipstick all week! Also loving lazy eye-shadow (wash of soft brown, black gel liner and mascara) and Chanel lipstick in Lover, a gorgeous shade of red. Simples.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great favorites! Essie Hot Coco looks gorgeous and I love NYX Mega Shine lipgloss, they are among my favorites (=

    ReplyDelete
  3. @loveaudrey: I'm easing myself into more Springtime lip shades with hot pinks, I think they look great in early Spring months! A red lippie always looks fabulous on you... x

    @GABY: So true, I have to restrain myself not to buy more shades! x

    ReplyDelete