Monday, May 2, 2011

Rocaille Redes: Make-up Tips for Almond-Shaped Eyes

This post has been suggested by the lovely Fleur-de-Lis, who admitted she had problems with applying her eyeshadows because of having a rather small lid space. For a Caucasian, I have rather small lids as well with not that much of a crease; my eye shape somewhat resembles that of an almond, which can be tricky when it comes to eye make-up. I feel that for this particular shape, many tips on Asian/monolid eyes apply better than the standard make-up rules.


To help some of you who might have the same problem, I've prepared a little step-by-step tutorial featuring Urban Decay Naked Palette and EcoTools brushes. If you don't have that, just grab any neutral shadows you might have and your favorite eye brushes; the principle remains the same.


1. Start with a well-primed eye, or just dab a bit of foundation on the lids to even out the skintone. I'm using Benefit F.Y.eye primer.


2. Apply a champagne base color like UD Sin all over the lid up to the crease.


3. In the crease, apply a small amount of a matte light/medium brown, like UD Naked mixed in with a bit of UD Buck. This step is optional; I'm just doing it to warm the skin up a little. Also, apply the same shade at the lower lashline, going about half of the way in.


4. In the outer V (the very outer corner of the eye at the lashline and a little bit into the crease), apply a darker grey/brown shade like UD Darkhorse. Blend inwards.


5. With an angled brush, apply a bit more of the darkest shade (Darkhorse) at the lashline and flick it out at the outer corner slightly.


6. Apply a light cream satin shade like Virgin to the inner corners. I've skipped applying the eyeshadow under my browbone as I feel it often looks a bit too much on me.


7. Curl your lashes, add your favorite mascara and you're done!


The basic rule I follow is not to go too far in with my crease color, or in most cases, just skip the crease altogether and just apply the darker shadow to the outer V/ outer third of the eye. Also, I very rarely use a dark pencil to fill in my waterline; it just looks way too harsh and makes my eyes appear smaller. Instead, I prefer lining my upper lash line with a little flick at the end. It further accentuates and elongates my eye shape. That's it; nothing ground-breaking, but I hope it helps, or at least you know how I use my Naked Palette for an everyday neutral look.

What is your favorite eye make-up tip?

14 comments:

  1. Aww you look so fresh and so lovely! As usual :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look lovely! Naked and Virgin are the two shades I use most often from the UD Naked palette haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so helpful! I have the same eye shape as you, although it must be said that my eyes are nowhere near as lovely as yours! I will try this look out tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this! My eyes are almost the same shape as yours, very almond like. I think they are gorgeous, but as you say they can be somewhat tricky to make-up, especially if you follow the norms. I also tend to be careful with using a too dark shade for my crease, and I also don't tend to use an eyeliner on my whole eye - just the outer V-line, which really opens up my eyes. Thank you again, would be fun to see more tutorials like this. Perhaps on how to apply blush? Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. i believe i have a somewhat similar eyeshape although i am asian. :) thank you for this post it's so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Musing on Beauty: Thank you so much, hun! x

    @Cecilia: Virgin is gorgeous, I'm already afraid of running out!

    @The Nail Buff: Let me know how it works out for you! x

    @Anna W: So true about the eyeliner, maybe I should do a little tutorial on that too? I'll get cracking on a blush tutorial as well, thanks for the idea :) x

    @sugar sugar: I'm so glad it helped you some! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This technique makes you look very wide eyed and fresh....it suits your eye shape well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very subtle yet beautiful... You look amazing hun

    ReplyDelete
  9. Odkryłam Cię niedawno i muszę stwierdzić, że wydajesz się niezwykle sympatyczna :) Ponad to okazało się, że jestem do Ciebie trochę podobna ;] Bardzo przydatny "poradnik".
    Czy mogłabyś mi powiedzieć jakiego podkładu używasz ?:) Z tego co widzę na zdjęciach mam niemalże identyczny odcień cery jak Twój tylko posiadam masę piegów :) Byłabym wdzięczna za odpowiedź ;]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really nice! I don't have any e/s by UD, but I want to buy some. How do they compare to MAC?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi dear! Thanks so much for these tips. As you said, I also like to use monolid or asian eye makeup tips because I think I don't have the traditional caucasian eye shape at all. I'll try to do a post someday with these tips and some others for this eye shape, that can be really hard to put makeup on! Thanks so much again :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Delyteful Speaks: Thank you, lovely :)

    @TheLadyMiki: Hej Kochana, cieszę się, że podoba Ci się mój blog! Na tych zdjęciach mam podkład Revlon Colorstay w odcieniu Ivory zmieszany z kremem nawilżającym - jeśli masz jasną cerę z różowym odcieniem, ten kolor jest świetny. Polecam też podkłady Graftobian HD Glamour Creme (recenzja wkrótce), ale tutaj już niestety trzeba zamawiać przez internet i trochę zgadywać z kolorami. Mam nadzieję, że to trochę pomogło :) x

    @Catharina: I think they're great quality - some of them are glitter bombs with a lot of fallout, but the matte, satin and shimmer/frost shades are great.

    @Fleur-de-Lis: I'll be on the lookout for your post! Thanks for the request, lovely, it turned out a lot of us have similar make-up woes! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful eyes. Flawless skin.:D

    ***** Marie *****
    allthingsmarie.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is a great look. very natural. i think one thing that is really beneficial to great application like yours is the different brushes you use. well done on a pretty, simple look!

    www.makebeautysimple.com

    ReplyDelete