Monday, May 11, 2009

My make-up pet peeves

Ok, so I am sure every one of us, beauty bloggers, could name a couple of these and, what's more, are able to spot them from at least a 100 meters distance. The most dreaded make-up mistakes have either to do with a wrong choice of the product or a wrong application technique... or sometimes both. Even celebrities are not free from committing them! Here's my list of make-up pet peeves, which I tried to illustrate with some photos.

1. Shiny/ oily face


I probably hate this one the most because I am very prone to it. Oily skin can ruin the whole make-up, making you look sweaty and gross. There's a big difference between looking dewy and having a mirror instead of a face! Absolute no no!

2. Wrong foundation shade


A too light shade can make you look ill, a too dark shade old and dirty, a too orange shade... well, you know (Paris is guilty of wearing both too light and too dark shades; quite an accomplishment, I have to admit). The best color to put on top of your skin is exactly the color of your skin; sounds very simple, but as we all know is not simple at all. If you want to slightly alter the color of your skin for a specific look, at least don't forget to cover your ears, neck and decollete too!

3. Clumpy lashes


It goes without saying that it looks just plain wrong. I cringe away from mascaras that may cause that effect ( ekhm, Margaret Astor Air Max for example...) and I hardly ever apply more than one coat. If I want fuller, spectacular lashes, I just go for falsies; takes more time but is well worth the effort.

So, what are your top make-up pet peeves?

8 comments:

  1. Excellent post because i can't stand these pics either. I'm not perfect but what I can't stand is when makeup is too harsh looking and lines aren't blended, examples crease eyeshadow, foundation at the jawline, over lining your lips with a dark liner and then adding a neon pink to lips. If I left the house like that I'd prefer someone hit me with a shovel. xxNadia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm I guess it's not so much makeup, but I had really orange and streaky fake-tan! Like why would you leave the house with orange heels is beyond me! Sheesh, Renee Zwellereioguejeroeiure has looked better huh haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on most of these - and the visible lip liner - that's not a good look.

    I also am not a fan of people wearing sandles/flip flops but not "preparing" their feet properly beforehand - keep them buffed, moisturised and pedicured ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @LoveLipstickandLime: That's so true, blending is incredibly important in make-up; well, unless you want to look like a drag queen :) Cheers! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sarah: I guess this is why I use self-tanner so rarely, I'm always afraid of being too orange!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Ondine: Recently I saw a girl wearing an amazing pair of heels with open toes and she had nail polish peeling off... Yuck! On a different note, I can't wait to see your photos from Italy! Take care :) xxx

    ReplyDelete